• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

The last five times this scenario has happened (2014,2015,2018,2021,2022), the team that played an extra game to make the finals ended up winning the championship. It's not nearly as big of an advantage as people think it is.

they changed the scheduling, i believe last year, to reduce the amount of rest which makes the advantage far more significant since you actually now lose (effectively) your ace

Coach needs to pull all our hitters into a room tonight and just calmly say...

"Rhett is going tomorrow.

"Rhett will be fine. Don't worry about him. Just hit. Can you hit? Can you say fuck it, swing, and hit? Then go play baseball tomorrow."

We'll be fine. JUST HAVE FUN AND PLAY!

Finally Walter's long can of dumb bunting will pay dividends tomorrow on a fake bunt that fools LSU

I hope our offense responds tomorrow with the offense I've put against Amazon Customer Service tonight.

Which means, fuck ya'll, don't give me shit, and if you do, I'm going to hit the ball 500 feet out of the park.

Result of bitching to Amazon - got $400 back from their incompetence. Let's hope Rhett makes LSU as incompetent today to carry us through and that this is a sign.

A long time ago I played on a team that wasn't hitting as anticipated despite championships the previous two seasons. There had been a coaching change and the new manager put an emphasis on pitch selection and accepting a base on balls. Good hitter's became tentative, the offense had become stagnant and run production diminished. So did victories. That manager quit halfway thru the season to accept new employment. The coach that replaced him had but one new instruction. Get the bat off your shoulder and hit the damn ball. Be ready to hit as soon as you enter the batter's box. To emphasize this instruction he made one new rule. Anyone who struck out looking with the bat on his shoulder would be replaced immediately. We got the message. Hitting woes disappeared and the losses disappeared with them.

This is what came to mind watching tonight's game. Seems applicable to the Deacs. Time to introduce the Tigers to Rake Forest and demonstrate why Demon precede's Deacon.

Agree with this. We bring in Sullivan when LSU has gained control. If we were gonna pitch Sullivan, he needed to be in to face the fat lefty. And then if we chose not to do that, we needed to save him for tomorrow. Let's see how it goes tomorrow but I didn't understand the strategy.
So this. such a head scratcher as once down 3 it would have been better to rely on rest of bullpen which has seen limited action and use Sully for tonight to start or to come in to back up Rhett. really wasted a great lefty and went against what Walter said his approach would be in super regional and would assume the same.

I do wonder if a slight advantage to Rhett vs Skenes coming back on shorter rest given Rhett throws more breaking/curves/etc whereas Skenes dominance is due to a 100+ fastball that might not have quite the pop or at least might not be as reliable for as long???

Gators are loving it as Continue to play and wear out arms. Guessing odds are flipping their way….

great to hear Walter take the blame on 3 run HR as said he was thinking of just giving intentional walk when 2-0 vs lefty with better match ups for keener after the lefty that hit the HR as that really was the diff in game.

also love the idea of dropping JJ down in the order and putting Pierce in 5 hole given how well he is swinging the bat. Hopefully leads to some more sustained rallies.

How many times is Kurtz going to strike out with the bat on his goddamn shoulder?!
I have a recurring dream where I'm "playing" golf: teeing off, but I keep re-teeing the ball, switching clubs, readjusting grip, etc. but I can never pull the club back and swing; been having this dream for years. That's how I feel watching Kurtz at the plate the last few games.

I have a recurring dream where I'm "playing" golf: teeing off, but I keep re-teeing the ball, switching clubs, readjusting grip, etc. but I can never pull the club back and swing; been having this dream for years. That's how I feel watching Kurtz at the plate the last few games.
I have this dream all the time. Also, there’s a wall behind me and I can’t swing without hitting it.

Back