• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

I don't care if the ball is halfway to the dugout. If Kurtz looks at the first pitch of an at bat tonight I'm going to puke.
I have never understood the "you take the first pitch" theory. If the first pitch is a great pitch to hit, swing the damn bat. Heck, I think some pitchers know a lot hitters aren't going to swing at the first pitch and try to just put one right down the middle to get up in the count. If you get served up a meatball hit it, whether its the first pitch or the 20 pitch in an at bat.

It’s easy to spot the people who have been Diamond Deacs fans for about 3 weeks total
I'd argue, most on this board have followed them all year, I know I have. Are more people watching now, of course, it's hard to see every game, but I know for myself I've kept up with pretty much every game this year on my phone at least.

I have never understood the "you take the first pitch" theory. If the first pitch is a great pitch to hit, swing the damn bat. Heck, I think some pitchers know a lot hitters aren't going to swing at the first pitch and try to just put one right down the middle to get up in the count. If you get served up a meatball hit it, whether its the first pitch or the 20 pitch in an at bat.
LSU’s bullpen has had very high walk rates the entire year. It was clearly a strategy last night to force them to throw strikes, and credit to them that they did.

However you want to swing it, we have 8 runs in 3 games in Omaha. And we have not faced a #1 starter yet. That is about as putrid offensively as it can get.

Man, this day is going to really drag out until game time.

I have a bad feeling about this.... hope it's wrong.

The #betterphans on this thread are really obnoxious. The vast majority of fans have been super hype about this team all year. We played like shit last night and have been pretty underwhelming offensively in Omaha. It’s okay to say it. I’ll still be rooting like hell for the team tonight and more than anything I want these guys to be able to cap off an incredible season with a title.

The plus of taking pitches against Skenes is that I’m sure he’s on a pitch count tonight and it will get him out sooner.
Sure, if we're taking balls, but we need to be aggressive and swing the bat. Skenes is going to throw enough pitches by hitters, why stand there and take strikes, instead of taking your swings and increase the chance of connecting with one. You take 2 strikes, then he only has to get one by the hitter's bat.

The plus of taking pitches against Skenes is that I’m sure he’s on a pitch count tonight and it will get him out sooner.
Oh my god. Please stop with this. We've been talking about taking pitches for pitch counts all week. It has not worked out, it's led to their bottom barrel guys keeping us in check.

Swing the bat early and often, I don't care who's on the mound.

Oh my god. Please stop with this. We've been talking about taking pitches for pitch counts all week. It has not worked out, it's led to their bottom barrel guys keeping us in check.

Swing the bat early and often, I don't care who's on the mound.
I’ve watched this team all year. In fact, I’ve watched this team since I was a freshman 18 years ago. A reason we are good this year is because we are patient. Yes, we take some strikes, but we also draw a lot of walks and get into the bullpen early. That’s a strategy for winning.

Also, I was just offering a thought. It’s not like Walter is reading the boards for strategy.

Okay you get your medal for watching the most games this year, congrats!!

But I agree it is a strategy for winning, but it has not been working in Omaha. We have to adjust. You can't have the same strategy every game and think it just works, you have to adjust to what is working, how the game is being called etc. Same in every sport. If we sit back and play the pitch count game again we go home. Simple. Put some balls in play and runs on the board and we have a good chance.

Stan said that he won't be on the radio call tonight since he'll be back in W-S for the Allegacy Stadium re-naming ceremony.

We need the win tonight to get Stan back to Omaha for the weekend!
Good grief. Seriously? Does that mean Currie is going back too?

Okay you get your medal for watching the most games this year, congrats!!

But I agree it is a strategy for winning, but it has not been working in Omaha. We have to adjust. You can't have the same strategy every game and think it just works, you have to adjust to what is working, how the game is being called etc. Same in every sport. If we sit back and play the pitch count game again we go home. Simple. Put some balls in play and runs on the board and we have a good chance.
You’ll notice that about 10 posts above that I also said that we need to swing often because Skenes has only walked 18 guys all year. I just think it’s rich when people join the bandwagon at the end of the ride and preach to other people who actually follow this team. We’re glad you’re on board. But don’t act like you know this team and why it’s been successful this year.

I’ve watched this team all year. In fact, I’ve watched this team since I was a freshman 18 years ago. A reason we are good this year is because we are patient. Yes, we take some strikes, but we also draw a lot of walks and get into the bullpen early. That’s a strategy for winning.

Also, I was just offering a thought. It’s not like Walter is reading the boards for strategy.
So, taking 2 strikes from a guy like Skenes and making him only throw one pitch by your bat is a sound strategy tonight. I really hope we don't do that.

BTW, I haven't missed sitting in Groves Stadium for a football game since 2001, you know who should care about that? Nobody

Back