• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Can’t help but keep thinking if Walter pulls Keener when he should have we maybe eke out a 3-2 type win. For as cold as the bats have been we out hit LSU last night.

The bags are going to explode at some point, would love to knock around Skenes tonight.

We can absolutely win a low scoring game given our pitching staff. This team is 7-1 in the postseason, I just don’t see it as doom and gloom time.

So, taking 2 strikes from a guy like Skenes and making him only throw one pitch by your bat is a sound strategy tonight. I really hope we don't do that.
I didn’t say that. I just said that there is a benefit to taking some pitches tonight. There is also a benefit to swinging early which I said above that. There are pros and cons to both.

Can’t help but keep thinking if Walter pulls Keener when he should have we maybe eke out a 3-2 type win. For as cold as the bats have been we out hit LSU last night.

The bags are going to explode at some point, would love to knock around Skenes tonight.

We can absolutely win a low scoring game given our pitching staff. This team is 7-1 in the postseason, I just don’t see it as doom and gloom time.
This is true. 5 runs wins almost any game in Omaha this year, so it's not like we need an avalanche.

So, taking 2 strikes from a guy like Skenes and making him only throw one pitch by your bat is a sound strategy tonight. I really hope we don't do that.

BTW, I haven't missed sitting in Groves Stadium for a football game since 2001, you know who should care about that? Nobody
If someone shows up and says we should run every play when we’re a passing team and they’ve only watched 2 quarters of football all year then you would also be right to say “that’s not what’s worked for us all year.”

Bats go cold...sucks that it's happening at the wrong time, but it's not a fundamentally different approach than they've had all year.
You don't notice it during the regular season much because if your cold one night you usually see some dude throwing BP the next day. This Happens...hopefully they break out of it tonight. If they don't hopefully Lowder is shutdown good.
Feel pretty good all the coaches and guys who have been doing this their whole lives better than any of us know if they should take extra BP or change their approach.

The difference last night was one swing really.
Yea, and/or just a handful of plays that were really a matter of inches.

The shot to 3rd base right at White's glove. If it's a foot off that's a double.

Couple of the infield bounces that went their way, and the ones that didn't go ours.

We have been objectively terrible from the plate, but we were right there last night til the end. Keep grinding.

I’ve watched this team all year. In fact, I’ve watched this team since I was a freshman 18 years ago. A reason we are good this year is because we are patient. Yes, we take some strikes, but we also draw a lot of walks and get into the bullpen early. That’s a strategy for winning.

Also, I was just offering a thought. It’s not like Walter is reading the boards for strategy.
you shut your whore mouth

WE ARE IMPORTANT

I get it, every single game is critically important, and our offense has struggled in the past three games.

But anyone declaring that the sky is falling and that our offense sucks now is simply overreacting. We’re talking about the same hitting lineup that has been elite all year, and a 3 game sample size (in a gigantic ballpark) simply isn’t enough to make some of the conclusions being made on this thread.

Will our offense bounce back tonight? I have no idea, we are facing (maybe) the best college pitcher of this century. But let’s not sit here and make statements about how our hitters don’t know what they are doing, because it obviously isn’t true if you saw any of this season prior to the last 3 games.

Yea, and/or just a handful of plays that were really a matter of inches.

The shot to 3rd base right at White's glove. If it's a foot off that's a double.

Couple of the infield bounces that went their way, and the ones that didn't go ours.

We have been objectively terrible from the plate, but we were right there last night til the end. Keep grinding.
The infield hits/seeing eye singles were the real killer last night IMO.

If someone shows up and says we should run every play when we’re a passing team and they’ve only watched 2 quarters of football all year then you would also be right to say “that’s not what’s worked for us all year.”
There is a difference in saying a pass heavy offense in football needs to run every play and talking about the need to swing the bat in baseball. It's really hard to get hits and runs if you don't swing the bat. We've taking too many strike outs looking since we've been in Omaha, I'm not sure how any one could argue with that. It's also a difference playing CWS quality teams and playing a lot of the teams we played during the regular season.

There is a difference in saying a pass heavy offense in football needs to run every play and talking about the need to swing the bat in baseball. It's really hard to get hits and runs if you don't swing the bat. We've taking too many strike outs looking since we've been in Omaha, I'm not sure how any one could argue with that. It's also a difference playing CWS quality teams and playing a lot of the teams we played during the regular season.
May want to give Walter a call, let him know you figured it out.

We got any stats on how both Skenes and Lowder have done on short rest? I doubt either has had to pitch on short rest very much?

Back