• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

If we want to do something big up top I would do this:

Hawke
Kurtz
Johnson
Wilken
Bennett
Costello
Corona
Lee
Houston

Hawke protects Kurtz, and then Bennett/Costello serve as a "leadoff" type duo in the middle with Corona protecting.
I’m all for not overreacting to small sample size, but I also wouldn’t put the guys that are 0 for Omaha in the 2 and 3 holes

I'll take a stab with the disclaimer I have zero real info on this (spent my time on pitching confirmation).

Hawke - CF
Costello - LF
Corona - DH
Wilken - 3B
Kurtz - 1B
Bennett - RF
Lee - C
Johnson - 2B
Houston - SS
I like Danny at the 3. This is much better than my thoughts.

If we want to do something big up top I would do this:

Hawke
Kurtz
Johnson
Wilken
Bennett
Costello
Corona
Lee
Houston

Hawke protects Kurtz, and then Bennett/Costello serve as a "leadoff" type duo in the middle with Corona protecting.
The quote from Walter implied that JJ and Kurtz could be moving down.

Yeah, and I don't really get it. I thought the higher seeded team was the home team, if both teams had 'hosted' the same number of games... But, apparently not.

Wake and LSU have both been the home team twice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230622-131728.png
    Screenshot_20230622-131728.png
    236.4 KB · Views: 23
I think so much of it is the massive stadium with the wind blowing in.

LSU pitchers all have talent, but many were HR prone. When you’re afraid of giving up a HR, you start to walk too many guys, which compounds the damage on deep flies.

With no threat of the HR, pitchers have just been throwing strikes, and it seems like our guys have yet to adjust/are in their own head as they realize they can’t hit it in the air to left/center and pitchers aren’t walking them. I expect we will be a little more free swinging/loose tonight, and I hope the results are good enough.
That, and their coaching staff negated the wind blowing out to right last night by trotting out 3 LHP’s. We let our RHP pitch to the fat left handed power hitter.

Yeah, and I don't really get it. I thought the higher seeded team was the home team, if both teams had 'hosted' the same number of games... But, apparently not.

Wake and LSU have both been the home team twice.
They’ve been the visiting team twice. We’ve only been the visitor once. That’s the reasoning.

Windy (I think) posted this during the regional (I think). Pretty convoluted.

Step 1: The team has been the home team fewer times during the tournament becomes the home team.

Step 2): If both teams were the home team the same number of times, count the number of times each team was the visiting team during the tournament. The team that was the visiting team more often during the tournament becomes the home team.

Step 3: If both teams were the home team and visiting team the same number of times and the teams met previously during the tournament, the visitor in the immediately preceding game between the two teams becomes the home team.

Step 4: If both teams were the home team and visiting team the same number of times and the teams did not previously meet during the tournament, the team that was the visitor in its most recent, preceding game becomes the home team.

Step 5: If both teams were the home team and visiting team the same number of times, the teams did not previously meet during the tournament, and both teams were the visitor (or home team) in their most recent, preceding game, then the home team is decided by a coin flip.

Back