• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Exactly. The only reason that LSU is the home team is because they have played 1 more game than us. But shouldn't there be some advantage to being the top seed?
In addition, the only reason they’ve played one more game is because they were in the loser’s bracket after a loss to us. So we’re basically being punished for beating them.

Retire Meyer
Skeen
Mask game
Butlerized
Ball bounces off scoreboard
Childress hits the shot
Duncan shows up on campus and likes WF
Ball bounces off Haywood's butt
Cleveland State hotel situation and culture
Levy shoots the technical free throws
Chris Paul and the nut punch
Skinner and the dick pic
Gaines Adams busts open our FG and dream season
VT fans and fake tickets at Groves
Alphonso's INT return v. MD
Humidity at the Orange Bowl
Winning a soccer national championship
Overtime vs. VT in football at 0-0
That awful WF beer
Scheduling Allegacy crap simultaneous to the game tonight (what in the ever living hell)

I've seen a lot, some good, some so bad, but one thing I know. The umps in this trip to Omaha cannot be trusted - swing the damn bat with 2 strikes.

Last edited:
I'll take a stab with the disclaimer I have zero real info on this (spent my time on pitching confirmation).

Hawke - CF
Costello - LF
Corona - DH
Wilken - 3B
Kurtz - 1B
Bennett - RF
Lee - C
Johnson - 2B
Houston - SS
I like it, but I think I'd switch Costello and Bennett. Costello v the right hander or go back to Cecere? I think I give Costello another start.

Skenes throw 100+ with movement. These are college hitters - against that kind of stuff they have to guess and if they guess wrong they'll watch the occasional 3rd strike. We can certainly hope Skenes arm tires early or that he's just off under the pressure, but this will probably be a game where we try to work counts, bunt guys over, lean into one, hope to scratch out a couple runs and lean on our pitching. He hasn't given up more than 2 runs since like April and he's in a pitcher's park. Like the first two games, this will be about execution defensively and probably a big hit or two.
I personally think this game is going to be about how well LSU hits Lowder and I feel like they can just enough to win the game. I could see a 2-0 or 3-0 game.

I just haven't seen anything good from Wake offensivley to lead me to believe that they are going to be able to score runs on one of the best college pitchers we've all seen in a long time. Hope I'm wrong.

Costello has the ball magnet and guaranteed to get at least 1 HBP/game. Hope it’s not a Skene fastball.

randy-johnson-bird.gif

I like it, but I think I'd switch Costello and Bennett. Costello v the right hander or go back to Cecere? I think I give Costello another start.
Thought Costello had good ABs yesterday and I'm a bit of a sucker for a more traditional "speed and see pitches" at the 1 and 2 spots.

Pierce Bennett ... maybe Corona are the only other options I'd consider at 2.

our #1 seed has been kinda worthless. until Mon we'd had, what, one "primetime" game (the Maryland one). Florida got an extra rest day prior to yesterday. and now this home team bullshit.
Yeah our path has been about as difficult as possible. I mentioned it heading into the CWS but we've played:

GM
Maryland
GM (so avoided a second matchup with a 2 seed - who we obliterated anyway so whatever)
Alabama (16 national seed)
Stanford (8 national seed - so bracket held)
LSU (5 national seed - only way this could've been harder matchup would've been 4 seed Clemson)
LSU (5 national seed - top remaining seed in the bracket)

And if we win tonight we get the 2 national seed Florida.

I mean lol

Yeah our path has been about as difficult as possible. I mentioned it heading into the CWS but we've played:

GM
Maryland
GM (so avoided a second matchup with a 2 seed - who we obliterated anyway so whatever)
Alabama (16 national seed)
Stanford (8 national seed - so bracket held)
LSU (5 national seed - only way this could've been harder matchup would've been 4 seed Clemson)

And if we win tonight we get the 2 national seed Florida.

I mean lol
Meanwhile florida over there with the sports equivalent of SNAP.

Realize that this will only further jinx a team with ridiculous expectations (so, this may go into another one of my "nothing-burger" posts; and I have many stupid forecasts, but you got to put your ass out there), but the online sports books recently posted odds on the College W-S winner. This is such a small market for the books that they don't pay much attention to it.

Checked Fan Duel this morning and WF is the #10 shot on their board at 19-1. A little lower than the rankings, but not a lot of value. And I get it, there are far more LSU, Tennessee and Ole Miss baseball future bettors than WF.

However, DraftKings which is a sloppier sports book for not adjusting future prices, had WF tied for the 15th spot on the odds board at 40 to 1 (tied with Notre Dame who literally has no returning talent). So, I pounded the Deacs. The line has now dropped to 30 to 1, but given that WF is consensus top 6 (and maybe higher) in talent, 30 to 1 is still a good value. 30 to 1 is long f-ing shot, and not likely to come in, but by comparison, for the 2024 Super Bowl, the Detroit Lions and the Denver Broncos are 30 to 1. So, WF baseball at 30 to 1 is an excellent value. If WF somehow makes the CWS, this will also present great middling opportunities.
Just scrolled back to read some of the first few pages - did you/anybody else get Wake at 30-1?

"Fight on, my men," says Sir Andrew Barton,
"I am hurt, but I am not slain;
I'll lay me down and bleed a while,
And then I'll rise and fight again.

Back