• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

I couldn’t sleep last night and my nerves are shot

What a terrible way to lose. But what a hell of a game and an even better season. I don’t know if any of us will ever see a game like that again

The last few weeks have probably been my favorite Wake sports memories outside of Orange Bowl

Wake major sports programs may or may not be cursed, but I’m proud to be a Deac and can’t wait to watch this team going forward

Went fishing this morning to take my mind off last night. Didn’t really think that out because all you do while you fish is stand there and think.
I tried to kill time on Thursday by going to the Omaha Zoo. I saw and spoke to several Deacs anxiously pacing the exhibits.

I made one of the worst mistakes of my life by getting on the Skyfari ride, solo.

Suspended 80 feet over an African grasslands is not where you want to experience a panic attack. I held on for dear life, with happy children looping back around me.

But, hey. It made extra innings seem more manageable.

Not a baseball expert by any means but I was surprised that our guys seemed to be continually taking big cuts (thinking mostly of Wilken and Corona, I think) instead of choking up, shortening the swing, and just trying to put balls in play. At least knowing that homers are so difficult at that park. Could be totally wrong but that's what I remember thinking.

Also, can't blame Marek at all but it may have been an incredible heady play to slow or even stop on the base path (essentially taking an out) to distract the defense/allow JJ to score that one run instead of trying to run it out on the squeeze with an out to give. But you can't really expect that of anyone.

Aye, yo. About to take off on my last flight home; there's somebody else I want to shout-out for this season.

@CONeill your coverage has been outstanding.

So many times, I've been halfway/mindlessly scrolling through an article about WF Baseball, and realized how well written and well researched it is.

95%+ of the time, it's been your work.

You da man. Thank you!

Not a baseball expert by any means but I was surprised that our guys seemed to be continually taking big cuts (thinking mostly of Wilken and Corona, I think) instead of choking up, shortening the swing, and just trying to put balls in play. At least knowing that homers are so difficult at that park. Could be totally wrong but that's what I remember thinking.

Also, can't blame Marek at all but it may have been an incredible heady play to slow or even stop on the base path (essentially taking an out) to distract the defense/allow JJ to score that one run instead of trying to run it out on the squeeze with an out to give. But you can't really expect that of anyone.
Not an expert, but I would think those two bats were the best option to carry the wall, and one run obviously would have won that game. Hell, Danny almost won it.

Got to say, I loved the call on the squeeze play. Maybe the only problem with it was the situation was too obvious (in using our #9 hitter), so LSU was probably alerted to it. The ball rocketing up in the air off the bounce was a bad break in a game of bad breaks. Allowed their 1B to run onto it and grab it in stride. If he had to go to the ground to field it, JJ scores. The most frustrating thing of all was that we kept executing well—hard hit balls, working counts, etc—and were never rewarded for it. Baseball can really suck sometimes.

lsu fans really running with the cockiness angle being the motivation they needed to win on twitter. It's a weird flex, because it implies that your team isn't as good as us. The idea that had we just be quiet and humble they didn't stand a chance, but we popped off and celebrated so they won. Could just be that the faux-underdog bullshit is so steeped in sec culture that they can't handle the idea that the world isn't somehow against them.

lsu fans really running with the cockiness angle being the motivation they needed to win on twitter. It's a weird flex, because it implies that your team isn't as good as us. The idea that had we just be quiet and humble they didn't stand a chance, but we popped off and celebrated so they won. Could just be that the faux-underdog bullshit is so steeped in sec culture that they can't handle the idea that the world isn't somehow against them.

Depleted lsu is now likely in a world of hurt having faced Wake in a tight 3 game series while fl somehow got to skate and rest on the little league side of the CWS bracket.

Good luck with that lsu.

Depleted lsu is now likely in a world of hurt having faced Wake in a tight 3 game series while fl somehow got to skate and rest on the little league side of the CWS bracket.

Good luck with that lsu.

It is going to really suck for us to watch LSU’s bullpen turn back into pumpkins this weekend. Prepare yourselves accordingly.

It is going to really suck for us to watch LSU’s bullpen turn back into pumpkins this weekend. Prepare yourselves accordingly.
Been here a few times either outcome won't surprise. Gonna do what we can with what we got.

Good luck with that lsu.
I wouldn't use the word depleted but yea ideally we'd like Skenes in game 1. Floyd's gonna have to win us one. Your right they shit the bed making the brackets we shouldn't have been in the same bracket best 3 teams in the same bracket.

Winnay filled in admirably.
This was an epic game, reminded me of the Twins and Braves (Morris and Smoltz?).
Damn I hate we lost.
Agreed on Winnay. Would say more than just admirably. Made some really good fielding plays early for a guy who likely never expected to play at all in such a big game. Know he has played some this year but don’t remember anything like the play he gave last night …but know that was all in mop up duty. Obviously he is not playing 1B next year with Kurtz back but want to say I have also seen or read he plays 3rd too right? Have also seen Corona spending time at 3B in pregame. Already curious to know next years starting lineup. Guess a lot depends on draft, JJ coming back, etc. And obviously the Wingate transfer King is likely in the mix somewhere….

Still down and disappointed today….but already looking into season tickets for next year. Go Deacs!

Last edited:
And I'll definitely be getting season Tix this year for the first time ever...they made believers outta me. I fell in love with everything about it this year. I usually only go to 3-5 games a season. Hopefully can make 10+ next year before the host regional and supers again

Back