• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

FWIW, in a season of remarkable performances for the Deacs, Seth Keener's numbers bear particular praise:

13 Appearances
35 IP
17 H
3 ER
8 BB
47 Ks
0 HRs allowed
0.77 ERA
0.71 WHIP
.140 Opposing BA

Keener is a junior. Will be curious to see how MLB evaluate him in the draft.

has bennett played any 2B this season? can't seem to find any fielding stats for 2023.

lowder and hartle are groundball pitchers so infield defense is a priority, but i would love to get a stronger bat into the lineup with sullivan or mascolo starting.
i think our lineup is strong enough to not sacrifice defense up the middle.

i think our lineup is strong enough to not sacrifice defense up the middle.
Agreed. For years everyone ragged about WF's defense. Not a coincidence that WF has greatly improved with better defense. Not sure why WF would sacrifice defense given the current success.

it's mostly a numbers game, just like playing the shift -- that's why mlb teams are so deeply into platooning and matchups.

i think more than any other sport, each player is pretty much an independent unit. (i.e. having a strong defensive/offensive player at one position shouldn't impact who you play at another position.)

in this case, someone like houston is a lot more valuable with a groundball pitcher is on the mound (or when we are protecting a lead) than otherwise. but with someone like sullivan, who is mostly a strikeout/flyball pitcher, his defensive impact is minimal which could tilt the math in favor of getting a better bat into the lineup.

and while reinisch has been dreadful (he has a .236 OPS in 31 conference ABs), his track record is good enough to where i think we should still try to get him in the lineup as much as possible and get his swing back.

Would think that Reinisch loses his DH spot to Cecere. Costello has been too good to bench, and he is an excellent defensive player. Nicky Nukes starts at first. With everyone healthy this seems like the best lineup. The scary thing is that don't think WF has started a single game with this lineup:

OF:

Costello, Hawke, Bennett

INF:
Kurtz, Johnson, Houston, Wilken

C:
Lee

DH:
Cecere

Not sure who bats second between Costello and Bennett.

Agree with this. I'm told Costello is the fastest on the team, as well.

it's mostly a numbers game, just like playing the shift -- that's why mlb teams are so deeply into platooning and matchups.

i think more than any other sport, each player is pretty much an independent unit. (i.e. having a strong defensive/offensive player at one position shouldn't impact who you play at another position.)

in this case, someone like houston is a lot more valuable with a groundball pitcher is on the mound (or when we are protecting a lead) than otherwise. but with someone like sullivan, who is mostly a strikeout/flyball pitcher, his defensive impact is minimal which could tilt the math in favor of getting a better bat into the lineup.

and while reinisch has been dreadful (he has a .236 OPS in 31 conference ABs), his track record is good enough to where i think we should still try to get him in the lineup as much as possible and get his swing back.
I see what you’re saying, but I don’t think we have anyone who is so clearly a better bat that it would outweigh Houston’s defense. Jake just hasn’t gotten it together this year and I don’t think I’d be willing to sacrifice what has been a solid middle infield to let him keep hacking.

First game at full offensive strength in a while and Hawke gets hit in the hand and the eye in the 1st.

It’s tempting to say we should be starting Keener on weekdays, but he’s so valuable on the weekends it’s tough to do that

I suspect that would have happened if McGraw and Wade didn't go down based on last year.
Well if McGraw doesn’t go down then one of Sullivan/Hartle isn’t on the weekends anymore.

Maybe they’d be weekend BP and Keener would be midweek, but either of Sullivan/Hartle would have ludicrous stats pitching against midweek opponents. Although then again Keener probably would too.

Back