• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Would be a surprise to see him on campus.
We laugh about the pitching lab being brought up all the time but showing we can be a great place for pitchers to develop from 18 to 21 is huge. The minors suck even with a big signing bonus.

Interesting. Things we don’t have to worry about in Georgia (for now - sports betting was only a few votes from making it through this legislative session; I think it will come to pass in the next couple years).
I believe the current NC version expressly allows for bets on NC college teams which given how NC normally operates is quite a surprise. They want that sweet UNC/Duke future betting

I love this team. But the wake fan in me keeps whispering bad things in my ear. However a win today and I will believe Omaha is a reality.
Agreed. I think this team is very good, but I'll believe Omaha when I see it.

We laugh about the pitching lab being brought up all the time but showing we can be a great place for pitchers to develop from 18 to 21 is huge. The minors suck even with a big signing bonus.

100%. Am in the record that most kids I know have to have $2M minimum to go pro vs college. Granted…these are lifelong travel ball/private HS kids. Life isn’t financially difficult for them.

For me, it comes down to can Wake hold serve at home against a top 9-16 team in the country when that team has to go up against Lowder, Sullivan, and Hartle with Keener available to go even if one of these three gets in trouble?

I'll believe it when I see it. Certainly possible given variance, but that's about as savage a "you have to face these three guys on the mound in a 3 game series" imaginable. Reminds me of the issue Wake ran into against Florida in the Supers a few years back.

For me, it comes down to can Wake hold serve at home against a top 9-16 team in the country when that team has to go up against Lowder, Sullivan, and Hartle with Keener available to go even if one of these three gets in trouble?

I'll believe it when I see it. Certainly possible given variance, but that's about as savage a "you have to face these three guys on the mound in a 3 game series" imaginable. Reminds me of the issue Wake ran into against Florida in the Supers a few years back.

All it takes is 2 bad games and your done. One game where our bats go quiet and one where we step on our dongs in the field.

It’s very possible even if our pitchers are awesome

I believe the current NC version expressly allows for bets on NC college teams which given how NC normally operates is quite a surprise. They want that sweet UNC/Duke future betting
I haven’t dug into the details of the proposed GA bills, but I’d be shocked if they didn’t allow for people to bet on the Dawgs. That’d just tank the projected revenue.

In that series, Florida started:

Game 1: Alex Faedo - he was the Tigers first round pick (18th overall) in the 2017 draft; after making the Tigers 40 man roster in 2020, Faedo had TJ surgery; he did pitch for the Tigers in 2022, and is still on the roster ; Faedo pitched the first 4 innings; then the Gators brought in Brady Singer; Singer was a first round pick of the Royals (18th overall) in the 2018 draft; Singer is part of the Royals rotation; he was 10-5 with a 3.23 ERA last year
Game 2: Jackson Kowar (who the Deacs' lit up) was the Royals first pick of the compensatory round (right after the first round) #33 overall in the 2017 draft; Kowar made his MLB debut in 2021; he is still on the Royals roster
Game 3: After WF won game 2, a desperate Florida team started Brady Singer in game 3 (after he pitched 4 innings in Game 1), and then Tyler Dyson in relief (5th round pick of the Nats in 2017), and then Faedo to close the game. WF lost 3-0.

FWIW, that Florida team went on to win the 2017 CWS. Also, the Gators' lineup included Jonathan India, who was the 2018 first round pick of the Reds (5th overall); India was the 2021 NL Rookie of the Year. Yes, that Florida team was loaded, but the Deacs had them on the ropes.

Last edited:
We came so close to beating Florida 2-0 that year as well.

Speaking of that team, what happened to Dunshee? I see Peluse on Oakland’s AAA roster.

Last edited:
In that series, Florida started:

Game 1: Alex Faedo - he was the Tigers first round pick (18th overall) in the 2017 draft; after making the Tigers 40 man roster in 2020, Faedo had TJ surgery; he did pitch for the Tigers in 2022, and is still on the roster ; Faedo pitched the first 4 innings; then the Tigers brought in Brady Singer; Singer was a first round pick of the Royals (18th overall) in the 2018 draft; Singer is part of the Royals rotation; he was 10-5 with a 3.23 ERA last year
Game 2: Jackson Kowar (who the Deacs' lit up) was the Royals first pick of the compensatory round (right after the first round) #33 overall in the 2017 draft; Kowar made his MLB debut in 2021; he is still on the Royals roster
Game 3: After WF won game 2, a desperate Florida team started Brady Singer in game 3 (after he pitched 4 innings in Game 1), and then Tyler Dyson in relief (5th round pick of the Nats in 2017), and then Faedo to close the game. WF lost 3-0.

FWIW, that Florida team went on to win the 2017 CWS. Also, the Gators' lineup included Jonathan India, who was the 2018 first round pick of the Reds (5th overall). Yes, that Florida team was loaded, but the Deacs had them on the ropes.

That was the only Wake Baseball games I’ve seen live since my time at Wake in the mid ‘90s. That was fun

Biggest home crowd I found was: March 25 versus Miami 2312. Probably would have a gotten a bigger crowd during the NC State series, but weather was a factor that weekend.

I love this team. But the wake fan in me keeps whispering bad things in my ear. However a win today and I will believe Omaha is a reality.
That's the angel on your shoulder. The devil on your shoulder is getting you to book hotel rooms in Omaha.

Back