• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Wingate is D2. Here is a summary of Seaver King's season:

King earns All-American honors for the first time in his career. The first team All-SAC honoree earned first team All-Region accolades from the ABCA, NCBWA and D2CCA this year. King piled up 90 hits, ranking seventh in the nation in total hits and third in hits per game. King hit .411 on the year with 20 doubles, five triples and 11 homers, driving in 53 runs while scoring 63 times. The sophomore stole 13 bases in 14 attempts.

King put together a historic 47-game hitting streak, which started in the 2022 regionals and ran through the final game of the 2023 regular season. It is the third-longest streak in NCAA Division II baseball history. He piled up 24 multi-hit games on the year, including 11 three-hit games and three games with four hits. King led the 'Dogs with 14 multiple-RBI contests as well. King led Wingate in average, slugging percentage, on-base percentage, runs, hits, RBI, doubles, triples, homers, total bases and stolen bases.

Nice. JJ replacement and move Corona to 3rd? Or this guy at 3rd and Corona back to 2nd?

Unless he gets tons of NIL money from some sec school, he has another year.
Kurtz is not draft eligible. If he was, he would be a MLB first round pick. So, yes, unless he goes for an SEC money bag, we get another year of Nicky Nukes.

What do we think about Hawke's possibility of returning? On the one hand I can't imagine that staying another year helps his stock in any meaningful (ie he kind of is what he is at ths point) but on the other what's the height draft wise? Where would you expect to see him drafted?

I've kind of just banked that he isn't coming back but no real reason for that other than he seems to have maxed out at the college level.

What do we think about Hawke's possibility of returning? On the one hand I can't imagine that staying another year helps his stock in any meaningful (ie he kind of is what he is at ths point) but on the other what's the height draft wise? Where would you expect to see him drafted?

I've kind of just banked that he isn't coming back but no real reason for that other than he seems to have maxed out at the college level.
Probably keep him away from Dortch just in case.

this is just me saying., i haven't seen a draft analysis on him.
He's small...good bat to ball skills, fast, average arm. Doesn't have real projectable power.

I have a hard time seeing him go in the first 5 rounds (he's not listed anywhere i can see in the top 200) is that just me being all Windy? always a possibility

At that point the money isn't great in terms of signing bonus. So depends on if he prefers going to class and getting good food and nutrition, or riding shitty buses and eating PB&J's for the next year

Last edited:

Completely dependent on where Hawke is drafted and the MLB money offered. Kind of surprised that Tommy was on MLB radar given his arm and lack of power, but Hawke is a grinder, and he gets on base. Also, with the new rules, speed is a point of emphasis now among MLB teams. We shall see. Would arbitrarily set the 10th round as the point where Tommy goes or stays. MLB teams emphasize signing their picks in the first ten rounds. After that, it's dependent on how much money is left in each MLB team's draft pool.

Back