• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

He probably knows Klintman.
Klintman is over a foot taller than Hawke. Note that numbers said "height" instead of "hype" about a short player. That was the joke.

What do we think about Hawke's possibility of returning? On the one hand I can't imagine that staying another year helps his stock in any meaningful (ie he kind of is what he is at ths point) but on the other what's the height draft wise? Where would you expect to see him drafted?

I've kind of just banked that he isn't coming back but no real reason for that other than he seems to have maxed out at the college level.

Ok, so I may have been dead wrong about Hawke’s draft prospects. ESPN has him top 100:

Lowder 11
Wilken 24
Hawke 96
Keener 102
McGraw 107
Sullivan 127
This had Hawke 96 but I haven't seen him anywhere else. No idea what this guy's method is or anything, but remember being kind of surprised when this was posted last month.

Klintman is over a foot taller than Hawke. Note that numbers said "height" instead of "hype" about a short player. That was the joke.

You can't expect me to read all this shit before posting.

Does Tommy want to play college games against his little brother Austin?

this is just me saying., i haven't seen a draft analysis on him.
He's small...good bat to ball skills, fast, average arm. Doesn't have real projectable power.

I have a hard time seeing him go in the first 5 rounds (he's not listed anywhere i can see in the top 200) is that just me being all Windy? always a possibility

At that point the money isn't great in terms of signing bonus. So depends on if he prefers going to class and getting good food and nutrition, or riding shitty buses and eating PB&J's for the next year
Will be interesting to see for guys that are in that fuzzy range how much they might want to come back to defend the crown (hoping the best here) or go for it again if we come up just short later in June as hopefully a CWS experience could impact decisions (again hoping the best and beat Bama).

you just lost all credibility as a writer to have him above those 2 as hare

Will be interesting to see for guys that are in that fuzzy range how much they might want to come back to defend the crown (hoping the best here) or go for it again if we come up just short later in June as hopefully a CWS experience could impact decisions (again hoping the best and beat Bama).
While trying to enjoy every second of this run, agree that the off-season roster jumble will be fascinating. In addition to the MLB draft, incoming frosh and the transfer portal (where WF baseball has just killed it), almost all of WF's "graduating" players can use the COVID year to comeback if they so choose. WF baseball has so much mojo right now that there aren't enough available roster spots to keep everyone on board. Great problem to have.

look this up earlier:

over the past ten drafts, WF has had 10 players drafted in the first 10 rounds of the draft (where slot money is allocated) -- all of them signed.

we've had an additional 19 guys with eligibility (including covid years) drafted after round 10. of those, only four returned to school:
chris lanzilli (soph)
griffin roberts (soph)
parker dunshee
chris farish (soph)

on top of that, we've actually had guys with eligibility who weren't even drafted go ahead and leave school as UDFA (most recently, shane smith and dj poteet).

maybe NIL will change things, but i'm not holding my breath.

so based on our history, far more likely for a draft eligible soph to return to school than a junior (makes sense given the nature of the mlb draft and the importance of having leverage). that's hawke and sullivan for us this season.

Got an email that my Super Regional tickets are in my account. I did not order them so that was a weird email to get. Alas, there is nothing there so I cannot make money off of you all.

This is the May update from the ProspectsLive site that got a lot of press in preseason when noting that Wake had the most Top 300 guys of any team in the country….58545F73-AABE-4504-B8C1-B02CAF545F16.png

Hey guys, I think our pitching is pretty good.

Only number that’s in red is the total caught stealing number, which is unfair to Bennett Lee because most of the time there’s nobody on base for him to throw out.

Do the non senior guys proactively have to put their name in the draft like NBA ? I seem to recall they don’t but not 100% sure….

Hey guys, I think our pitching is pretty good.

Only number that’s in red is the total caught stealing number, which is unfair to Bennett Lee because most of the time there’s nobody on base for him to throw out.

Yeah.
When the pitchers get strikeouts for 50 of 81 outs, not a lot of baserunners for Lee to throw out.

Back