• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

That is an NCAA compliance issue. He did not play in a game for Lafayette in 2022. So, even though the Patriot League (like the Ivies) don't recognize red shirt status, don't think the 2022 season would count as a used year of eligibility, but would guess that WF would need to get the issue clarified by the NCAA. Even if JJ is eligible for WF in 2024, he may not want another year of college.

4 years of Lafayette and 2 years of Wake. Woof. Better man than I am

Also, I assume (which is dumb) that all of the sophomore's not listed above (Kurtz, Corona, Cueto, Ray, Hartle, Massey, Katz) aren't draft eligible, but the only one that I am certain is not 2023 draft eligible is Nick Kurtz (barring injury, he will be a first round pick in 2024).

Ray is eligible, Hartle is not.

Sullivan and Hawke with July birthdays – I guess their parents had their baseball careers planned out all along.

This is the prospects live rankings…..outfit in preseason that said Wake had more in top 300 draft eligible than any other program this year….not shown below but Lowder at 9 and Mcgraw at 25 . I believe this is updated a little since beginning of year. I don’t believe Pierce Bennett was listed then.

1682722920347.png

A little jealous that Pitt is playing a mid-season series against Cal this weekend. Not that it really matters.

Hawke draft eligibility caught me off guard as well. But .380 last season and .387 thus far this season makes it hard to blame him if he jumps.

Hawke draft eligibility caught me off guard as well. But .380 last season and .387 thus far this season makes it hard to blame him if he jumps.

He’s so small though. That matters to mlb scouts. You can probably count on two hands the number of guys his size who have been successful mlb players. Altuve, Pedroia, Madrigal, etc all 2nd baseman with ridiculous hit tools. I’m rooting for him, but I don’t see him getting drafted this year.

twitter prospect / draft guys seem to really like him as a 4th/5th round type guy.

not trying to be judgmental but i do find it a bit funny how fans inevitably overrate their players almost all the time until it comes time to discuss whether or not they are ready to go pro or not.

Last edited:
Duke pounded UVA last night 17-5.

Since rising to #7 in the nation, Massah Jefferson’s University has lost 6 of 7 ACC games

WF is 16-4. Duke is 13-8. All other teams have at least 10 ACC losses.

twitter prospect / draft guys seem to really like him as a 4th/5th round type guy.

not trying to be judgmental but i do find it a bit funny how fans inevitably overrate their players almost all the time until it comes time to discuss whether or not they are ready to go pro or not.

Well put. I was skeptical due to his size also. Last year. But two years in a row top 5 in ACC in BA and OBP? How is he supposed to improve upon that? If they don’t draft him this year, would they ever? What would he need to do?

Well put. I was skeptical due to his size also. Last year. But two years in a row top 5 in ACC in BA and OBP? How is he supposed to improve upon that? If they don’t draft him this year, would they ever? What would he need to do?
Well I guess that’s the thing. I imagine someone will take a shot on him but I don’t know how early. I agree I doubt he would move the needle at all between this and next year. Unless he backslides.

Back