• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest - Arkansas Game Thread

I expect Wilbekin will be the featured PG soon. He has at least shown he has some speed and handles, and can probably learn. Madison has shown he can't handle the press, even against the UNCA's of the world, much less the better teams. He just keeps making ill-advised and lazy passes both in the backcourt and in the frontcourt that any halfway decent defense can grab and turn into a breakaway. And he 's not a shooter. Wilbekin looks like he can be a player, and I'd rather live with freshman mistakes, and have him learn and be around for 4 years. CMM is showing flashes on offense with the drive, but his shot is abysmal. I agree that he and Madison as the starting guards leaves us with serious turnover and shooting issues. And neither is what I'd call more than an average defender. CMM has a skill set we need, but he needs to team with a guy like Wilbekin who can probably be a good PG and shooter.

Arkansas was out of our league, at least at this stage of the season. Given we had stretches we couldn't handle UNCA or Tulane's dreaded presses, this loss was predictable. You knew they were going to attack us to death. But, it is one loss, and a heck of a learning experience and teaching tool. Good that we have a stretch with some weaker opponents, but know very clearly where work needs to be done. If we can take care of the ball, we could be much improved by year end as the young kids grow and learn. Put it behind you and move on, and learn. 2-1 is not bad out of the gate.

Why the fuck weren't we in Lexington, Va, two years ago to recruit Andrew Rowsey? He only averaged 36 a game and was Virginia player of the year . He was known as a deadeye shooter since the 8th grade. Rick Lewis was very high on him.

No idea how he ended up at UNCA and how everyone apparently missed on him. Crazy. Scouting is clearly not an exact science.

Bad game. Not a good match up as a lot of people pointed out and we generally played poorly. Codi was awful. Worst game I've ever seen him play. Idk what he was doing out there.

Why the fuck weren't we in Lexington, Va, two years ago to recruit Andrew Rowsey? He only averaged 36 a game and was Virginia player of the year . He was known as a deadeye shooter since the 8th grade. Rick Lewis was very high on him.

We tried that with Chase Fischer who averaged 37 points a game, was West Virginia player of the year and is five inches taller. There's a reason this Rowsey kid is at UNC-Asheville.

Only made 3 shots outside of 5 feet, according to Dan (sounds about right). Unreal.

Good column. I appreciate the blunt honesty.

Yeah, we're pretty much who we thought we were, the biggest difference to me is that there's hope we've got somebody at the helm capable of fixing it given time. Last night was a beat down, but just the fact [Redacted] is not on the bench anymore and we've got a coach that gives us hope makes it a whole lot easier to take.

Still think we will be 10-4 after our first half. Losses to Florida who I think is worse than Arkansas, NCSU, and one like Richmond. Finish close ti .500 in the ACC.

I got negged for pointing out flaws by Old Gold Beard again after UNCA, especially CMM. Dan has been saying it about CMM's offense since last year, too, and was pretty brutal in MTOW. But, his shot is awful right now. He has no confidence in it at all.
OGB has given me half of my negs. 3 were for saying Shaka wasn't coming here or going anywhere for that matter, and 1 for CCM's offense is troubling. Apparently I should take OGB's neg reps as a compliment. Whatever. Trifiling.... Grown men neg repping for disagreeing with a statement or analysis. Sad....

To say our back court struggles offensively is the understatement of the season. Here are the offensive ratings through three games of the five guys who play in the back court regularly (not Rondale) where 100 is average:

61.1 - Miles
70.6 - Madison
76.4 - Wilbekin
79.4 - Codi
82.2 - Hudson

That's just so bad. The post players are making good passes (when they too aren't turning the ball over, looking at Devin's six turnovers) and we're just not knocking down shots. Compounding the poor play is the fact that we lack a true ball handler who is going to make sure that we don't commit dumb errors and then we mix in a couple guys throwing up off balance, contested jumpers with funky releases from 17 feet (Codi).

Just an awful mix in the back court right now.

Last edited:
To say our back court struggles offensively is the understatement of the season. Here are the offensive ratings through three games of the five guys who play in the back court regularly (not Rondale) where 100 is average:

That's just so bad. The post players are making good passes (when they too aren't turning the ball over, looking at Devin's six turnovers) and we're just not knocking down shots. Compounding the poor play is the fact that we lack a true ball handler who is going to make sure that we don't commit dumb errors and then we mix in a couple guys throwing up off balance, contested jumpers with funky releases from 17 feet (Codi).

8d5RdCR.jpg

Action plan after every loss this season. Just say to yourself, "Bzzz is gone" 5 times and it will make you feel much better.

Still more talented than last year's team though?

Which rating is for which player?

Action plan after every loss this season. Just say to yourself, "Bzzz is gone" 5 times and it will make you feel much better.

Except when you realize manning ain't going to turn thus around until year 7 at the earliest.

7 years.

Still more talented than last year's team though?

I think so. It's definitely early, but I see a lot of that just being some freshmen struggles (three of the five above are freshmen) and then Codi and Madison trying to force it too much. CMM does look considerably worse than last year though.

Back