• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball - '23-24 Schedule Thread

Reid has been the missing link for a few years, IMHO. A bouncy Dallas Walton gets us in the tournament last year and the year before. If Efton gets his waiver, we are going to have one hell of a team this year. 10-10 would probably turn into something like 13-7.

The lack of off-season hype around a point guard has me a bit nervous. I think our scoring should be as balanced as it ever has been under Forbes, but it has run through Alondes and Appleby the last two (non NCAA teams) years. Sallis has been a monster all summer apparently, but is he the distributor/floor general this offense has required in the past? We know Jao is out, and I’m as big of Boopie fan as there is, but there just isn’t a lot buzz.

Just some bye week/offseason concerns.

I think our guards are fine. I'm concerned about our bigs. Seems unlikely Reid gets his waiver. And if Marsh hasn't significantly improved and still starts, we won't make the tournament.

I think our guards are fine. I'm concerned about our bigs. Seems unlikely Reid gets his waiver. And if Marsh hasn't significantly improved and still starts, we won't make the tournament.
Marsh significantly improved from freshman to sophomore year. No reason to think he won’t have another decent improvement.

Marsh significantly improved from freshman to sophomore year. No reason to think he won’t have another decent improvement.
Summer reports have Marsh taking another step up in his development.

This has become a much repeated “fact” on the boards but I guess I really still don’t see it. What did you see specifically from Marsh that represented significant improvement last year? He was very effective catching lobs from Ty the first half of the season but really disappeared after that and was not effective on defense.

This has become a much repeated “fact” on the boards but I guess I really still don’t see it. What did you see specifically from Marsh that represented significant improvement last year? He was very effective catching lobs from Ty the first half of the season but really disappeared after that and was not effective on defense.
Yeah, Marsh only scores when a guard beats his man and Marsh's guy moves over to help. He is completely useless offensively in any other scenario.

And he sucks on defense. Can't stop anybody one on one and is so slow that he has to sag like 6 feet off in the PnR which basically allows wide open mid range jumpers for every guard.

My concerns with Marsh are pretty much exclusively on the defensive end, and he has supposedly slimmed down a bit and improved his quickness. I don't think he'll ever be a rim protecting defensive stopper, but hopefully he can improve to the point of not being a liability on defense.

On the offensive side, I think he stuck to his role last year and did a very good job with it. Yeah, he's just finishing lobs, but he was #1 (of all D1 players) in offensive efficiency last season. There is value in that. Not everyone is big and strong enough to just dunk everything. And I suspect we'll see more variety from him on offense this year.

However, like most everyone else... I'd still like to see Marsh playing behind Reid.

Anyone who was at the NC state home game last year realizes what a liability Marsh can be. Single handedly lost us that game on the defensive end.

It would be great if Marsh could play 10-12 min a game, as a way to spell Reid and give the opposing defense a different look. I am not optomistic about Reid's waiver though, given what we have seen from the NCAA thusfar on other waiver requests.

Marsh has much more to do (and Reid as starter would be great), but there was big improvement. It showed up as much in the team’s performance when he was on/off than anything.

Aside from the aforementioned #1 offensive efficiency, the team was +44 in ACC play when he was on the floor (18 minutes).

We were -16 in Bradford’s 7 minutes, and somehow -26 in Keller’s 2:18 per ACC game.

Attribute that to whatever - to me it looked like even the lob threat to him opened up the offense for others around him in a way opponents didn’t have to account for it when he wasn’t there.

Defensively, he was our best defensive rebounder at 19.9% of opponent misses, which while not good enough defensively was still more than other options gave us. Klintman was the only one close — while Bradford was at 14.4% and Keller at 10.0%.

Think that Reid will help WF, but the expectations seem a little unrealistically elevated here (assuming the waiver is granted).

For the 2023 season, Reid played 10 or more minutes twice in 37 games for Gonzaga, and he accumulated a total of 15 points, 4 rebounds and 1 blocked shot in Gonzaga's last 22 games of the 2023 season. He had 10 DNPs over that span. His O rating was 85.9.

If you want to throw out the 2022-23 season because Gonzaga was very good (I think WF's hopes to at least be pretty good), in 2022 at LSU, Reid averaged 6 ppg, 4 rpg and less than one block a game for LSU. His "O" rating for that season was 96.7 (average is 100).

Understand that Reid is older now and think our staff is strong at maximizing potential, but in a two year sample size, Reid hasn't yet shown that he's a dominant or even really good inside presence offensively or defensively. Think Reid could be a useful player and hope the NCAA grants the waiver, but feel like the love he is getting over Marsh may be unwarranted. At least, would like to see them both play in our system before making minutes and contribution projections.

Think that Reid will help WF, but the expectations seem a little unrealistically elevated here (assuming the waiver is granted).

For the 2023 season, Reid played 10 or more minutes twice in 37 games for Gonzaga, and he accumulated a total of 15 points, 4 rebounds and 1 blocked shot in Gonzaga's last 22 games of the 2023 season. He had 10 DNPs over that span. His O rating was 85.9.

If you want to throw out the 2022-23 season because Gonzaga was very good (I think WF's hopes to at least be pretty good), in 2022 at LSU, Reid averaged 6 ppg, 4 rpg and less than one block a game for LSU. His "O" rating for that season was 96.7 (average is 100).

Understand that Reid is older now and think our staff is strong at maximizing potential, but in a two year sample size, Reid hasn't yet shown that he's a dominant or even really good inside presence offensively or defensively. Think Reid could be a useful player and hope the NCAA grants the waiver, but feel like the love he is getting over Marsh may be unwarranted. At least, would like to see them both play in our system before making minutes and contribution projections.
I had intended to post something along these lines (but there would not have been near as much effort involved). Why do we assume that a guy glued to the bench at Goznaga is going to be an impact player for Wake? He certainly has a high school pedigree, but not much in the way of college production.

Yeah, I'm throwing out the Gonzaga season when I look at Reid. He was bothered by a back injury the 2nd half of the season and just never really fit into what Gonzaga was doing.

As you wrote, Pilch, I'm banking on Forbes utilizing Reid (and Sallis) in a way that allows them to be more successful. Reid has a ton of tools and, from what I understand, has looked the part since arriving at Wake.

I like Marsh, but I think there are very different expectations for this season if Reid gets a waiver. I seriously think we're a national player (Top 25) with both Reid & Marsh active.

It's entiretly true that I might have unrealistic expectations for Reid. I think it comes from seeing Marsh's limitations last year. I'm all for Marsh improving and grabbing more playing time. As for Reid, I discount the Gonzaga year also as i know he was playing behind NBA-level talent. My hope is that if Reid gets the waiver, he can be more of a Dallas Walton-type player for us, in that he can with some regularity block and/or affect shots, and had some legit big man moves.

I know the staff likes Reid which is enough for me, but his numbers (understanding that they may be system related) do not scream tons of tools. We shall see.

Reid and Marsh have almost identical FT numbers through their first two years:

Reid 21 for 42 50%
Marsh 27 for 55 49%

I know the staff likes Reid which is enough for me, but his numbers (understanding that they may be system related) do not scream tons of tools. We shall see.

Reid and Marsh have almost identical FT numbers through their first two years:

Reid 21 for 42 50%
Marsh 27 for 55 49%
FT shooting is one of the areas Marsh is reported to have improved over the summer. 60% would be helpful. 75% would be awesome.

but he was #1 (of all D1 players ever [ignoring the FGA requirement, but only for him]) in offensive efficiency last season
I agree though his defence was shocking last year. So many games where some random centre would absolutely cook us and it cost us the win. I think we could've potentially been a tournament team if we had even average interior defence last year. Forbes did say that he's looked much improved on that end over the summer though, I hope that remains true once the season's actually started.

Back