• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball - '23-24 Schedule Thread

I’m taking one of those away for offensive goal tending.

Nah, it was off the basket upon review. Reid does have one block, I think.

Yikes. The Deacs avoided playing teams ranked 300 or below last year, except for SC State (corrected per Ish's post below; WF also played #351 Hampton). Sadly, other than SC State, the worst team that WF played in 2023 was L'ville at #290.

NJIT was #330 in 2023: 7-23. The Highlanders did not play a Power Conference team last season. Elon was #337 last season 8-24.

Scheduling sub-300 KP teams is just a bad idea if you want to go to the NCAA tournament. Shittiness to that level is persistent year over year, and there is roughly a 90% chance the team will be a Q4 game the following year.

Yes stop scheduling these teams. Especially random bad schools that aren't even in the same region. So stupid

Eh I think a couple is fine at the beginning of the season, just have to win by 25+.

Yeah let's hope this is it. NJIT doesn't give me a lot of hope that we won't also add another random bad NC/VA/SC school to the schedule

Just clicking through KP schedules, pretty much everyone that was a tourney team from a power conference had a couple 300+ games. Totally normal and that is certainly not what is preventing us from making it.

Really don't see any benefit to playing NJIT. Understand throwing Elon a bone because they are local to open the season (fwiw, Elon should be improved in 2023-4 in year 2 under Billy Taylor; they were unusually bad this past season); , but given that WF may play a craptastic team in the Cayman Classic, understand the concern about WF getting dinged for the schedule if the Deacs are a late-season bubble team. IMO, the primary reason 2022 WF didn't make the NCAAT was the OOC schedule.

The schedule will be fine. Home against Rutgers is at least Q2, possibly Q1. At Georgia is also likely Q2. Our SEC/ACC challenge opponent will be another good opportunity, don't think it's been announced yet. Still think we owe Xavier a road game at some point which will be Q1 if it's this year.

Our metrics weren't bad last year because the non-conference SOS was bad, the metrics were bad because we lost to mediocre/bad teams and beat other bad teams by single digits or buzzer beaters. Translation, we weren't that good and the metrics had us ranked correctly. This schedule will also be fine, we just have to be better.

And these are just the quotes from when we knew about Elon & NJIT. The other 3 shitty games weren't even out there yet.

Back