• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Preseason Discussion Thread - Hudson and Watson Suspended

That'd mean that someone else from the team would have to leave for him to stay. Even if someone else were to leave and Giles went elsewhere, Manning would likely take four years from a high school player or a transfer over a single, fifth year from Washington anyways.

This is also true, forget about that.

He's also 22 years old right now because he prepped at Hargrave.

He should transfer to a mid major and beat up on a bunch of smaller kids en route to a masters degree and a European basketball career.

Aren't there rules coming down to severely limit post-grad transfers, or is that only in football?

For the scholarship count - I know it was posted earlier that Childress was officially recruited and must therefore be offered a scholarship - but does it have to be for next year? Saw a rule mentioned somewhere that an officially recruited player could sign an LOI for, say, a scholarship 3 years out and walk on their first two years. Is that just football, or did I just read some bullshit?

you can recruit walk-ons so i don't know what rule someone is referencing. might be that you can't recruit a non scholarship player and receive an employee discount as that could be abused so they would have to pay full tuition

For the scholarship count - I know it was posted earlier that Childress was officially recruited and must therefore be offered a scholarship - but does it have to be for next year? Saw a rule mentioned somewhere that an officially recruited player could sign an LOI for, say, a scholarship 3 years out and walk on their first two years. Is that just football, or did I just read some bullshit?
Childress could walk-on for all four years if he wanted to. But he's a recruited athlete so if he receives any financial aid from WF (academic scholarship, research grant, student work (?)), he'd count against the scholarship limit. However, Randolph has been at WF long enough that tuition relief for Brandon would not count as financial aid under NCAA rules.

I have no problem if Andre wants to graduate with his class/teammates and play elsewhere next year. But yeah, it's weird.

I clearly should have said "center" instead of forward, but my intuition is that it's exactly as stated earlier in this thread -- Andre Washington will redshirt this season, graduate from Wake, then explore options as a potential grad transfer. Sounds like a win-win for everybody involved.

As coach Manning said, however, the situation is fluid and could change along the way.

As I said before, if anything, it reflects well on the development of our other bigs. If we're willing to make that sacrifice for Andre, things must not be as dire as they otherwise might be.

I clearly should have said "center" instead of forward, but my intuition is that it's exactly as stated earlier in this thread -- Andre Washington will redshirt this season, graduate from Wake, then explore options as a potential grad transfer. Sounds like a win-win for everybody involved.

As coach Manning said, however, the situation is fluid and could change along the way.

Not sure how it's a win for Wake. He may not be very good, but he's better than nothing, especially in the case of injury.

Not sure how it's a win for Wake. He may not be very good, but he's better than nothing, especially in the case of injury.

That's where coach Manning said the situation is fluid, I'm sure. He only played 103 minutes last year, and that was before the addition of John Collins and Doral Moore.

Thanks, Les. Good info. Good to see our staff is trying to help Andre further his education.

Dayton made the final 32 of NCAA tournament last year playing with six scholarship players from December on. None over 6'6". We have 7, no problem guys we got this

Dayton made the final 32 of NCAA tournament last year playing with six scholarship players from December on. None over 6'6". We have 7, no problem guys we got this

So maybe Wake isn't even the 4th best NCAA basketball team in the state of North Carolina.

Are there any other NCAA programs in North Carolina that went to the NCAA tournament within the past 5 years?

Back