• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Juke Harris Commits!!

1. College
2. Straight to the NBA draft?
3. G League Ignite
4. G-League/not Ignite?
5. Overtime Elite
6. Straight to overseas
7. ??? get a job?

Feels like we are getting into the old ABA with Dr. J versus the NBA days...

I think Forbes is going to (again) have to hit the transfer market pretty hard to try and build a team.

Echoing some of the concerns around the ‘22 class. We need to get things going.

I'm not that concerned. Forbes didn't really get a honeymoon due to the COVID weirdness. So he's got to go ahead and prove it. If we have a season worth building on, recruiting will pick up. If we don't, we're screwed anyway and it's back to the drawing board with another crop of transfers.

I'll probably get a lot of heat for this, but the '22 class is shaping up like a Manning class where we make a lot of lists and get some visits from top players and then ultimately have to reach down the list to get commitments.

I know it is still early, but a lot of our targets are off the table - Gortman, Phillips, Edwards, Shaver, Hood-Schifino, Nickel, etc.

Need to land at least a couple of players out of Keller, Fernandez, Dix, Essegian, Green, and Wessler.

After that, I don't even know who we're linked with... Essandoko? Brennan?

Hope I am just worrying for nothing.

Philips's decision was genuinely weird and Gortman's is genuinely frustrating, but the other guys you mentioned weren't really top targets from what I understand (especially Nickel). We were into Shaver, but I genuinely think Keller is the better prospect and at least we didn't blow an OV on him. Fernandez will probably be a top-75 prospect when the new rankings come out and we're in great spots with Keller and Dix. Probably Essegian, too. I also think the staff genuinely prefers Keller to Green and Wessler, so the fact we're in a good spot with him is a good thing imo.

Gortman is going to make $650K playing (I assume) two seasons in a league few people even know exists. And we don’t even know if he couldn’t have made that type of NIL money while playing 2-3 times a week on ESPN.

That's a lot of money to most people tbf.

My least favorite part of WFU basketball recruiting is the annual Running of the Statisticulators whereby we get driven to the end of the long tail via "hey that one dude 7 years ago was a one-star and went to the league, so we're going to be fine."

Historically, this was caused by the worst two back-to-back coaching hires in the history of sports. Thanks Ron.

Now I think it has to do with the beginning of the end of college sports as we know it. If programs (a) can now freely admit it's all about money and nothing else matters, and (b) have a legal way to pay players whatever pile of money they can assemble....

None of this is Forbes' fault. He's doing a good job, but I think we're going to see a widening gap between a very few haves and a whole lot of have-nots.

But at least our press conferences don't send me into a homicidal rage like they did during the Buzz/Manning years.

That's a lot of money to most people tbf.

Sure. It's definitely a lot of money for a high school job. For his sake, I hope he actually gets that money. Do you know who Overtime Elite is going to play against? Are the class of 2022 guys going to be like Oak Hill? Are the high school "graduates" going to play non-NBA affiliated pro teams? I don't know enough about the OTE model to not be skeptical.

Agree with you both, Ph & Strick, but I get antsy when I see other programs landing recruits and our targets dwindling (for whatever reason).

Would just like to be on the board for the ‘22 class. Don’t care who is the first to commit.

For reference, McCray was 7/15/20.

Whitt was 9/21/20 & Hildreth was 9/24/20.

Of course, last year was anything but normal.

My least favorite part of WFU basketball recruiting is the annual Running of the Statisticulators whereby we get driven to the end of the long tail via "hey that one dude 7 years ago was a one-star and went to the league, so we're going to be fine."

Historically, this was caused by the worst two back-to-back coaching hires in the history of sports. Thanks Ron.

Now I think it has to do with the beginning of the end of college sports as we know it. If programs (a) can now freely admit it's all about money and nothing else matters, and (b) have a legal way to pay players whatever pile of money they can assemble....

None of this is Forbes' fault. He's doing a good job, but I think we're going to see a widening gap between a very few haves and a whole lot of have-nots.

But at least our press conferences don't send me into a homicidal rage like they did during the Buzz/Manning years.

i mean, the statisticulators and the doom speculators are kinda two sides of the same coin

the reality is that we don't really know how it's playing out

what we do know is that we have two British kids who could have gotten paid to play professionally (and at a high level) come here, Forbes appears to be doing well on the transfer market, and the staff is recruiting in an environment without precedent. all things considered, things are going well considering the alternatives. like ph pointed out, Forbes is recruiting without a honeymoon period. I doubt he cares, but he hasn't benefited from the P5 coaching change bump that a lot of his peers have benefited from.

his misses so far have either been head-scratching or just genuinely unpredictable. i wish folks who are entertaining the forbes vs. [Redacted]/manning classes actually looked at the data every once and awhile lol

Agree with you both, Ph & Strick, but I get antsy when I see other programs landing recruits and our targets dwindling (for whatever reason).

Would just like to be on the board for the ‘22 class. Don’t care who is the first to commit.

i have no inside info, but man i hope it's keller

that kid is legit

I'm not that concerned. Forbes didn't really get a honeymoon due to the COVID weirdness. So he's got to go ahead and prove it. If we have a season worth building on, recruiting will pick up. If we don't, we're screwed anyway and it's back to the drawing board with another crop of transfers.

Yep.

This is what saddens/upsets me the most. The landscape of college sports is about to change in a major way and we were fucking a knot hole in a fence the last 11 years with [Redacted] and Manning. Fuck you Ron Wellman you fucking fuck!

Forbes Junior College experience is of value in picking guys from the portal. JC coaches need guys who can play right now, or at least next year, not in three years. Same with portal guys. Mostly you want somebody from the portal who can be a starter or key reserve.

Also, heavy roster turnover is the norm in JC. Most JC teams will have three or four new starters and maybe seven or eight new players every year. While it is not what I would like to see at Wake, Forbes may be better able to handle the big turnover this year because he has lived the scenario before.

so it sounds like you don't think the '22 class will be great either, you just don't think it matters in the long run

I don’t think it’s worth worrying too much about right now.

Looks like about half of the top 100 is committed. Whatever spots we have will be filled by a combination of recruits from high school or overseas and transfers.

Mathew Marsh has now joined the official WF basketball roster. Listed as a center/forward, he is 7'1" tall and weighs 250 pounds.

Last edited:
Back