• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Demon Deacons - 2022-23 hoops season

DeacDownUnder

Reaction score
Forbes just cracks me up. He gives such great interviews.

I know we lost 76% of our scoring from last year's squad, but I feel unusually bullish about the 22-23 team. Forbes certainly seems to feel good about things heading into the season. Can't wait.

Fe9yqn1XwAE9Mg-
FeyyyYlXEAkYcRs

Actually kinda surprised to see us at 8. Assumed the easy narrative would be to drop us to the cellar losing two stars and bringing in a heavily overhauled roster with a few question marks. Or maybe the teams behind us are just expected to be that bad.

Also some guy on Les’s board says he has heard Bobi is a huge surprise with the potential to be our best player in the near term and in the NBA before long. That would certainly be a highly unexpected development.

Just waiting on my season tix to get e-delivered.

My optimistic take is that despite being worse talent-wise, the pieces of this year's team will mesh a lot better than they did last year. I thought last year was a team that was less than the sum of its parts due to pretty glaring weaknesses with rebounding and dribbling, and really only a single player who was effective creating offense from scratch. (Two if you count Monsanto's ability to jack up a three at will).

Rebounding is still a concern, although should be better (not sure it's possible to have a worse rebounding big trio of Walton, Sy and Mucius), but the others should be vastly improved.

My optimistic take is that despite being worse talent-wise, the pieces of this year's team will mesh a lot better than they did last year.
I think that’s a reasonable scenario and could definitely see it happening. Our guard rotation should be awesome and hopefully will give us a very balanced scoring punch. Super happy Daivien came back for one more season.

Not sure what it says about the bottom of the ACC if NC State is projected ahead of 5 ACC other teams. They were DFL in the ACC last year at 4-17, and they lost Dereon Seabron, Jericole Hellems, Cam Hayes, Manny Bates, Jaylon Gibson and Thomas Allen. That's a lot of attrition from an awful team.

Understand that Keatts brought in a bunch of transfers including one from Utah and another from Ole Miss, but based on recent history, why would anyone think that Kevin Keatts can generate synergy from a group of disparate parts? Taken in that context, can see why WF is #8. The bottom of the ACC looks awful again this year, which could drag down the conference power rating.

T Smith could set all sorts of records for shot attempts this year.

Really no clue what to think about this team, but it should be pretty fun again, or there is fun in the unknown, at least, for me. I do like that we have five guys who've already averaged double digits in college and we’ve got a fifth year guy and sixth year guy in the backcourt.

Yeah no real sense of how we're going to come together. I expect there to be some growing pains with a lot of new faces but for there to be a great opportunity for Forbes to have the team rolling with steam into the conference portion of the year. Should be an up and down but fun year overall.

We are taller than I realized with Carr and Bobi at 6 foot 10.

Keller is skilled too.

Big issue has been rebounding. With Bobi as perhaps our best rebounder.

It’s weird. I know next to nothing about these guys except for watching them on Instagram in Europe. But I’m fine waiting a few weeks to find out.

Appleby, Ituka and Williamson will provide improved defensive quickness in the backcourt. Many of last year's losses were the result of quick guards that were able to get into the lane at will and put the defense in scramble mode. Forbes recruited Ituka and Appleby for their quicks. Their toughness, experience and offensive ability are a bonus. Size is no bonus if you are behind your man on D.

Back