• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Demon Deacons - 2022-23 hoops season

Appleby, Ituka and Williamson will provide improved defensive quickness in the backcourt. Many of last year's losses were the result of quick guards that were able to get into the lane at will and put the defense in scramble mode. Forbes recruited Ituka and Appleby for their quicks. Their toughness, experience and offensive ability are a bonus. Size is no bonus if you are behind your man on D.

It is if it's quality D bumping and grinding down low.

Last edited:
Wings appear to be Monsanto, Hildreth, maybe Taylor.

Forbes already considering large lineups with Klintman or Carr at SF.

Really no clue what to think about this team, but it should be pretty fun again, or there is fun in the unknown, at least, for me. I do like that we have five guys who've already averaged double digits in college and we’ve got a fifth year guy and sixth year guy in the backcourt.
Apparently off season was dedicated to getting fit. Monsanto lost 24 lbs and Carr gained 6.

Each player except one, lowered body fat/BMi which is interesting.

Ituka: "I have a 6 pack now, maybe 8."

A lot of this sounds awesome.

My biggest worry is with size — who can play against the best teams. Williamson more or less got benched against Duke because there wasn’t anyone he could defend and they were picking on him. Luckily no one else (or basically no one else) has a roster like that so the impact was limited. I guess the concern is what happens with him and Appleby in a matchup like that. Can they play together? Can we rebound/defend?What happens if both have to come out?

The people need your minutes projection
The people have spoken....
G: Appleby 28, Ituka 12
G: Williamson 32 , Ituka 8
F: Monsanto 25, Hildreth 15
F: Andrew Carr 29, Bobi Klintman 11
C: Matthew Marsh 17, Davion Bradford 17, Zach Keller 6

Totals:
Daivien Williamson: 32
Carr: 29
Tyree Appleby: 28
Monsanto: 25
Ituka: 20
Marsh: 17
Bradford: 17
Hildreth: 15
Bobi: 11
Keller: 6

I think Lucas Taylor and McCray split 5-7 minutes a game. Leaning towards Taylor getting the major of those split minutes, but not sure who I'm taking minutes from to plug them in the rotation.

Last edited:
I can see maybe dropping DW to 28 minutes and Ituka to 17 to free up 7 minutes for guys like Taylor and McCray. But that's all dependant on them being ready to contribute and help us win games. The reports on Taylor's defense give me hope that he could carve out some time as a lockdown defender in certain situations if we are getting cooked by a taller guard/wing on the perimeter.

Hate to bring up bad memories but a tall perimeter defender like Lucas Taylor would have been able to get a hand in Luke Kennards face a few years ago and we would've held on the beat Duke. Childress, as good as he was, wasn't able to get a hand up in Kennards face that game, and that's the sole reason we lost that game.

My dream is Lucas Taylor develops into a poor man's LD. Obviously doesn't have the athleticism that LD had, but if he can lockdown our opponents best perimeter player, and knock down an open three, he will definitely have a role this season, and it would put him in line for starter minutes as an upperclassman.

Creamy I love your work, but Ituka is a 24-28 minutes/game guy.

It's early and I've only seen two practices, but it's hard to get away from thinking Williamson/Appleby/Ituka will be the team's "engine." Monsanto might outscore all of them on nights he's cooking and I don't have that good of a feel for Carr yet (was OK the first practice and was in a boot for the second one (he's fine)), but the three small, quick guards are going to determine a lot about how good this team is.

Think the small guards will be in the 25 range due to the speed we will play, agree on Ituka being close to starter minutes and Hildreth will get some 1&2 mins against certain teams and see Bobi and Carr 4 split being closer with Bobi a few mins at 3 and Carr a few at 5

Forgive my ignorance, but what value is there in a blended minutes projection when it's highly opponent and match up and game scenario dependent?

Back