• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Demon Deacons - 2022-23 hoops season

Replacing Whitt's 12 minutes is going to be a tough ask.
Kind of funny that both Torvik (#73) and KP (#69) have Furman rated ahead of WF in their initial rating. Furman is the preseason favorite in the SOCON this year, largely because they return Mike Bothwell and Jason Slawson, who could've transferred almost anywhere, BUT Carter Whitt is projected to be a starter and a big piece for Furman. Have a hard time accepting that, any team counting on Carter Whitt playing a big role, will have a better season than WF with our current roster, as Whitt would be buried on the WF's bench this year. Will be an interesting to see how it plays out, but if one could bet on whether WF or Furman will have a higher rating at season's end, would like the WF's side of that action... by a lot.

Also, while WF did lose a ton of minutes from last year's team and that is significant, but it's tempered somewhat by the fact that Monsanto was 9th in minutes last year (he played fewer total minutes than Carter Whitt) because he was hurt until late January. When Monsanto did play, he was third in usage behind only Alondes and Jake. Also, Appleby was 2nd in minutes at Florida; so, it's not like Forbes is filling the lost minutes with untested guys.

Last year, Forbes was masterful at getting a group of players who had not played a lot together and getting them to play cohesively immediately. We shall see if that was a function of having better talent that anyone expected in LaRavia and Alondes (and Walton) or Forbes is just superior at maximizing the talent on hand and will find a way to to make it work. I'm counting on the latter.

Last edited:
KP looking for Wake to come out 7-0 (added a Georgetown win) and then lose 8 of next 9. That would be a horrendous stretch if at all accurate.

More likely that Basketball team makes the sweet 16 or football team wins the Orange Bowl?

If Wake came out and put up a couple of quick touchdowns against Alabama in the Orange Bowl, it's almost guaranteed that they will start having flashbacks to the Tennessee game.

Also, total of 66 penalties on the year which is most in the country (131 out of 131)

I'll take Wake hoops in the Sweet Sixteen over Wake football in the Orange Bowl.

Not me. Playing in the Orange Bowl or any NY6 bowl is the equivalent of the Elite 8 in hoops. But you actually have a chance to win your last game.
There are also a crap ton of people watching those NY6 games with days off for the Holidays. Curious what the viewship is of NY6 games versus Elite 8 games.

I know that we have a very checkered at best tourney history, but every year you get rando schools making the Sweet 16/Elite 8 whereas a NY6 bowl is a true testament to how your season went.

I'll take Wake hoops in the Sweet Sixteen over Wake football in the Orange Bowl.
And the other time we played in the Orange Bowl, we got stuck playing Louisville. I want another shot against a better program- give me Bama, Penn St, Tennessee.

But not Georgia. My son was born in Georgia and he loves the Bulldogs, not as much as the Deacs but it would be a tough one for him.

Back