• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

The Wade news is very surprising, but Clawson has earned trust on that. If it gives him a chance to start his senior year, rather than be the 4th or 5th receiver on the team, that's great.

I'm more surprised by Byrd. Colburn is great, but only has one more year and Carney is always banged up. The staff must have felt very strongly that: (1) Beal is a better option than Byrd (which is exciting) and/or (2) Byrd will be higher on the depth chart at db. Number 2 is either a good thing, or a really bad sign for the corners after our two starters.

Coach said half of Byrds offers were as a DB including Tenn. Said he wanted to change last year but they settled on one year as a RB, position of needed depth, then revisit but his heart was always with defense. Nice to see a 6' corner and 6'1" safety built to hit. Thought our 5'10" CBs did fine but we did give up a lot of YAC.

Good info. This does suggest the change isn’t about current RB depth.

Those are big losses. Paris was suspended for a while last season too.

I respectfully differ about the impact of these departures. For the year, 9 catches for Lewis, 6 tackles for Black including 1 sack. We have got this in the depth chart for sure.

I respectfully differ about the impact of these departures. For the year, 9 catches for Lewis, 6 tackles for Black including 1 sack. We have got this in the depth chart for sure.

Black was next man up though. Returning a lot more at WR than DL.

Coach said half of Byrds offers were as a DB including Tenn. Said he wanted to change last year but they settled on one year as a RB, position of needed depth, then revisit but his heart was always with defense. Nice to see a 6' corner and 6'1" safety built to hit. Thought our 5'10" CBs did fine but we did give up a lot of YAC.

Good news.
As good as Byrd is at RB, we should be thrilled with how good he is at a position he really likes. With his size, strength and speed he should be an awesome safety.

Yeah that’s great to hear on Byrd. If RB is his second best position this could turn out very well. Can’t wait to see him running with a pick!

How crazy will it be when we bring in a cornerByrd for a sweep play next season?

Opponents defense won’t expect it.

I think It was on Bloggersodear that I saw there was a chance to land Tre Watson form Cal as a Grad RB, not sure though.

Just the opposite, I'm afraid. He's listed on the spring football prospectus as "medically disqualified." So I'm assuming he's done.

Well that sucks. He was one of our more touted recruits, if I recall. What was his injury?

From les’ Report:

-Arkeen wanted to move to CB - that’s where his heart was and where he was highly recruited.
-Wade might have potential to start next year year because of losing Bates.
-T. Bell is returning
-Cortez grad transfer and P. Black kicked off team.

Another reveal to come.

What was his injury?
Sorry to hear his playing career is probably over.

We seemed to have had several of those situations over the years, is that type of thing as prevalent at other programs, I assume they are? Don't know since I don't follow other programs as close.

Byrd is going to be a beast no matter what position he plays. I can see him being a key special teams guy too. Excited for his next 3 years.

Byrd is going to be a beast no matter what position he plays. I can see him being a key special teams guy too. Excited for his next 3 years.

Kind of disappointed to see him move from RB as he's real break away threat there, but we probably more in need in the secondary than RB right now.

Coach Clawson was at the Raleigh Sports Club yesterday for the first time and was well received. He made a very positive impression to all.

Afterward, I commented to him on the up coming spring practice and mentioned the reported position changes of some good guys and possibility of a lot happening. He assuredly responded, 'just two'.

From les’ Report:

-Arkeen wanted to move to CB - that’s where his heart was and where he was highly recruited.
-Wade might have potential to start next year year because of losing Bates.
-T. Bell is returning
-Cortez grad transfer and P. Black kicked off team.

Is Wade or Byrd playing safety?

Back