• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Yeah, I know. I had no idea Byrd was ever considered for anything but RB.

Very reasonable considering his official site bio:

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/arkeem_byrd_1001322.html
High School:
Team captain and the No. 4 running back in Georgia ... A consensus 3-star athlete by 247Sports, Rivals, Scout and ESPN ... Among the top 50 running backs nationally ... Named the Savannah Morning News Offensive Player of the Year and the Georgia High School Association Region 1-3A Offensive Player of the Year ... Honorable mention all-state pick ... Selected for the North-South All-Star game ... Named to the Elite Junior Classic Team ... Member of the Preseason All-ESPN Savannah football team in 2015 ... Rushed for 1,220 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2015 for the Warriors ... Added 10 catches for 120 yards and one touchdown ... Also saw action on defense where he made 24 tackles ... Rushed for 254 yards in his final prep game including touchdowns runs of 69, 54 and 36 yards ... As a junior, averaged 8.7 yards per carry with 868 yards and 13 touchdowns on 100 carries ... Carried 61 times for 598 yards as a sophomore ... Played for Coach Tim Adams.

But there's this promising tidbit:
[h=3]Clemson shows interest in Savannah DB[/h]Before the start of Christmas break, Clemson defensive backs coach Mike Reed reached out to the coaches at Jenkins High School in Savannah, Ga.

Reed let them know that Clemson was interested in three-star running back Arkeem Byrd. The Tigers like the 6-1, 190-pound prospect as a safety.

No offer was made, but the topic was discussed.

“We talked about it and he was going to get back to me after they win the national championship,” Byrd said. “(Reed) was going to talk it over with my family and my coach. Whenever he tells me to come join them, that’s when I’ll know.”

And there's this: Vols offer three-star Ga. athlete

Three-star senior athlete Arkeem Byrd of Jenkins High School in Savannah, Ga., posted on his Twitter account Monday night that he has received a scholarship offer from Tennessee.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Byrd claims offers from more than 20 teams, including Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Army, Boston College, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Kansas, Marshall, Navy, Wake Forest, Western Kentucky and Wyoming.

Byrd is ranked the nation's No. 112 running back in the 247Sports Composite for the 2016 class, but he said the Vols have indicated that they're recruiting him to play safety.

All four predictions on the 247Sports Crystal Ball currently point to Georgia Tech as the favorite to land Byrd.

If Byrd’s on the field as a db, does he stay on to receive punts, or does that job go to someone else?

If Byrd’s on the field as a db, does he stay on to receive punts, or does that job go to someone else?

I guess he or Wade could take over Bates' role as a "safety returner" if Lineberg and Clawson still do it.

Kick offs are more injury prone than punts. Dortch is a weapon in large part due to his punt returning. We will be handicapping ourselves not have Dortch as the main punt returner.

Just got word from Les Johns that Tabari Hines is looking to transfer to a place where he can start. Seems like an odd move.

That would absolutely suck.

Just got word from Les Johns that Tabari Hines is looking to transfer to a place where he can start. Seems like an odd move.

Yeah I got this information a few days ago but didn’t post it because it didn’t make sense to me. Really really huge loss.

https://twitter.com/TabariHines/status/967157292385923072

DWwIbd3WkAAGJKl.jpg

Yeah I got this information a few days ago but didn’t post it because it didn’t make sense to me. Really really huge loss.

Well it explains why we're recruiting the grad transfer slot from Hawaii.

Keep in mind, Hines is a true junior, so unless he's graduated in 3 years, he would have to sit out to transfer. Just doesn't make much sense. Trust Ruggerio and Clawson to run 4 WR sets. If the offense is doing well, there will be plenty of reps for Dortch and Hines, separate or together.

Keep in mind, Hines is a true junior, so unless he's graduated in 3 years, he would have to sit out to transfer. Just doesn't make much sense. Trust Ruggerio and Clawson to run 4 WR sets. If the offense is doing well, there will be plenty of reps for Dortch and Hines, separate or together.

Agreed. The Hawaii guy seems like a suitable back up but definitely not as dynamic as Hines.

Either way, I have a feeling we’re going to rely more heavily on the run game next year with Hinton behind center. Beal could be a game changer out of the back field.

Can you still go from FBS to FCS and not have to sit out? I can't keep up with that kind of stuff. if so, maybe that is what he is planning on doing. If he truly wants to be guaranteed that he will start, then he probably will have to drop down a level to insure that.

I forget a lot of the drama there was before the Dortch injury, but wasn't there some anger from Hines about PT or something? I seem to recall a game or two where he didn't have any stats. When he got the time or start due to injury and he made the most of it, it seemed he was making a point and playing with a chip on his shoulder. I thought that went away by the way we and he finished the season but maybe not.

Can you still go from FBS to FCS and not have to sit out? I can't keep up with that kind of stuff. if so, maybe that is what he is planning on doing. If he truly wants to be guaranteed that he will start, then he probably will have to drop down a level to insure that.

Tabari could start at a lot of FBS programs. Large majority, probably.

Back