• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Jessie Bates? He's getting 2nd round projections. Plus Duke is very likely to be drafted. Lee was the only likely draft pick last year.

Was wondering if there was more to the jump in attendees beyond Bates. Duke wasn't working out, because of his continuing recovery from surgery. Wouldn't expect 29 teams there just to talk to him. Was curious if anyone thought there were other guys with potential late round pick and/or high interest free agent status.

Was wondering if there was more to the jump in attendees beyond Bates. Duke wasn't working out, because of his continuing recovery from surgery. Wouldn't expect 29 teams there just to talk to him. Was curious if anyone thought there were other guys with potential late round pick and/or high interest free agent status.

They were there to get Dortch's autograph.

Probably Cam if I had to make a guess. Apparently John and Jaboree performed well (John on the 40 and passes looked crisp, Jaboree showed out on the bench press - above the linebacker average). I would post the tweets from this but I can’t remember who posted about jaboree’s bench press.

Probably Cam if I had to make a guess. Apparently John and Jaboree performed well (John on the 40 and passes looked crisp, Jaboree showed out on the bench press - above the linebacker average). I would post the tweets from this but I can’t remember who posted about jaboree’s bench press.

Thanks. That is what I was curious to hear about. I thought I had heard that Wolford was done with football, but now maybe he gets a camp invite to be an arm during the preseason for a team with few QB's. His accuracy would be a plus in working receivers.

Probably just Bates. I imagine most programs with a legit 1st or 2nd round guy have high attendance. Mike Tomlin himself came and had dinner with Bates. NFL franchises have high level FOMO.

Thanks. That is what I was curious to hear about. I thought I had heard that Wolford was done with football, but now maybe he gets a camp invite to be an arm during the preseason for a team with few QB's. His accuracy would be a plus in working receivers.

It could be that he didn’t have plans to continue playing football while he was playing, but started missing it once he realized his career was over - prompting the pro day workout. Happened to me with baseball.

Or it could just be he was told he could come and why the hell not participate? If you don’t gain interest from any NFL teams then you aren’t any worse off than you were before and it’s a chance to do something not many can say they had the chance to do.

Probably just Bates. I imagine most programs with a legit 1st or 2nd round guy have high attendance. Mike Tomlin himself came and had dinner with Bates. NFL franchises have high level FOMO.

Always good to have that big draw guy to help some other guys get a look they might not otherwise get. Somebody might get taken as a late round pick, or be given an UFA offer that might not have happened otherwise.

It could be that he didn’t have plans to continue playing football while he was playing, but started missing it once he realized his career was over - prompting the pro day workout. Happened to me with baseball.

Or it could just be he was told he could come and why the hell not participate? If you don’t gain interest from any NFL teams then you aren’t any worse off than you were before and it’s a chance to do something not many can say they had the chance to do.

Here's the Journal article on Wolford. Seems like he planned to participating after his senior season success. Tragically funny note about how his receiving targets kept getting hurt.
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_8b61c553-2dbd-5a4f-bc4b-eb78664ce2ec.html

Wolford knows the factors working against him, as you’d expect from a four-time All-ACC academic team selection. And he knows that the nature of the scouting process is one that highlights flaws instead of positives.

“The knock on me is going to be my size and why did I struggle for three years up until this point? So that’s what I’m fighting, but I’m looking forward to the challenge,” Wolford said. “Scouting in its nature is a negative business. They’re always looking for something wrong with you.

“They’re investing a lot of money in people and — it’s not like I’m going to be a top-four-round pick or anything like that. The likelihood of me being drafted may be small, but I think, at the end of the day, if you can play, then you can find a spot, and I’m just working to maximize that chance.”

$10 says he'll be the Wake radio color analyst after his playing days are over if he doesn't get offered a better media job.

Good article about current Deacons soaking in Pro Day.
https://www.kpvi.com/sports/pro-day...cle_4d237574-6214-5d84-8357-61edacc6e49e.html

Always good to have that big draw guy to help some other guys get a look they might not otherwise get. Somebody might get taken as a late round pick, or be given an UFA offer that might not have happened otherwise.

Aaron Curry performed in limited drills at pro day and said part of participating was to get scouts out there so they can see others.

Here's the Journal article on Wolford. Seems like he planned to participating after his senior season success. Tragically funny note about how his receiving targets kept getting hurt.
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_8b61c553-2dbd-5a4f-bc4b-eb78664ce2ec.html

$10 says he'll be the Wake radio color analyst after his playing days are over if he doesn't get offered a better media job.

Good article about current Deacons soaking in Pro Day.
https://www.kpvi.com/sports/pro-day...cle_4d237574-6214-5d84-8357-61edacc6e49e.html

On a limb, but Wolford gets a 1 year deal and he takes it.

On a limb, but Wolford gets a 1 year deal and he takes it.

I think you are on to something here. Wolford has an accurate arm. Some quarterback poor team will give him a look as an undrafted free agent and keep him as their number 3 guy to help work out receivers in practice. Receivers get better work when the ball is thrown within their catch radius. That is one of John's strengths.

"If a player remains on the practice squad for an entire regular season (at a minimum salary of $7,200 per week), he would earn a minimum of $122,400 over the full regular season if he keeps his spot on the practice squad. If a team makes the playoffs, these payments continue for as long as the team is in the playoffs."

Not a bad gig if you can get it. That's the min as well; teams are able to pay more.

I think you are on to something here. Wolford has an accurate arm. Some quarterback poor team will give him a look as an undrafted free agent and keep him as their number 3 guy to help work out receivers in practice. Receivers get better work when the ball is thrown within their catch radius. That is one of John's strengths.

Seahawks just cut a backup. He’d be a good fit behind Russell.

Im so tired of these kids quitting on a school and looking to go elsewhere. Kid got playing time here and was doing fine, this current generation of undergrads sucks.

Back