• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

That's a pretty different critique from "he can't hit high-school level passes." Unless that was sarcasm?

Hinton is going to be solid and I am very excited to see him do his thing.

Screens, slants, etc are high school level passes. Too many of Hinton's end up in the dirt or off target. The "easy passes" open everything else up.

That's a pretty different critique from "he can't hit high-school level passes." Unless that was sarcasm?

Hinton is going to be solid and I am very excited to see him do his thing.

Wolford hadn't shown consistency hitting those passes until last season.

PH's jump circle defense of Hinton would make any dukie proud. Hinton has yet to show consistency hitting screens, slants and other routine routes. Until he can get it right, the rpo offense will be compromised. Its not a slam on the kid and its not anyone calling for him to be benched. Not yet at least. This is his 4h year in the program. Time to fine tune his game.

Except that at least one idiot (BudatWake) called for moving Hinton to a different position.

This use to be code for - I prefer the white quarterback to the black one and since the black QB is most likely a superior athlete, surely we can utilize his [fill in the blank] at the [fill in the blank] position. Now, thankfully this is no longer a black QB only phenomenon (Scott Frost was a Nebraska QB who played DB for the Jets; Tim Tebow was moved to h-back for the Jets, and most notably Julian Edelman transitioned to receiver from QB in college somewhere (Colgate?), but it is certainly a very weird thing to consider out loud considering that we literally have 4 total passes thrown amongst any of the other three QBs on our roster next year.

Edited to add though this phenomenon is certainly still racially tinged if you consider Lamar Jackson has had to contend with suggestions he move positions in the pros despite winning a Heisman trophy at the position.

Last year, Wolford (158) and Hinton (156.8) had near identical QB ratings. Now it's hard to compare opponents, but both played against Presby, Utah St, and Duke. Hinton was 13-17 for 196 yards in those games. Only Hinton played against Clemson, the toughest D we faced. He was 14-30 for 203 yards, 2 TDs, and 92 yards rushing.
Eh, that's pretty impressive but evidently not quite as good as how a high school QB would do.

If you haven't scratched your head and wondered how Hinton can't complete some passes then you haven't watched Wake football. He needs to lock down the short/intermediate routes for us to be successful. Too date, his accuracy has been suspect.

According to Clawson, the better player won the job last year. Time for Hinton to break out.

Race not a factor in my comment. Actually all I was saying is that we need Hinton on the field for his running ability. If he can't complete short to medium passes it is a problem that I have every confidence Clawson will fix. I really hope the kid gets his passing down by August. He can drive defenses crazy, but has to be a dual threat, not one demisional.

I would think "demisional" would be a great asset. You are such a torpedo, you create the "demise" of the opponent.

All I am saying is that there is a historical aspect to this argument that is the elephant in the room and certainly PH would be more sensitive than most to it. Couple that with the fact that the 3 other scholarship QBs on our roster have combined for 4 total passes for 8 yards and 5 yards rushing make the suggestion of moving Hinton really laughable. It is a non-starter.

I think we have 4 really good QBs with a 5th coming in, but ideally the depth chart is the following:

Hinton
Newman
Bowers - Hartman

Hartman may very well be better today than Bowers will ever be, but it would be ideal to be able to redshirt Hartman this year. Bowers should be fully healed from his ACL repair by the summer if he is not already.

I'll add to that the "clubhouse" impact. Hinton has been a positive locker room influence for at least 2 of his 3 years in the program. You don't sweep that aside due to one bad scrimmage, period. He ascension curve, if you will, should be really inspirational in the locker room. Here is a guy who swaggered in with a lot of potential, clearly the more enticing option to Dave Clawson, and he simply could not stay healthy. When injuries curtailed him, he was a good teammate to Wolford. When Wolford just started playing out of his mind this time last year, Hinton continued to be a good teammate. Add to that, Hinton buckled down and became a better student of the game, better in prep, all of that, and he has earned his status, IMO, to be "the man." I fully expect only injuries to be the thing standing between him and a truly dynamic season.

Last edited:
That’s all fine and dandy jaybone, but one time Hinton went 3-12 in a scrimmage.

I would think "demisional" would be a great asset. You are such a torpedo, you create the "demise" of the opponent.

All I am saying is that there is a historical aspect to this argument that is the elephant in the room and certainly PH would be more sensitive than most to it. Couple that with the fact that the 3 other scholarship QBs on our roster have combined for 4 total passes for 8 yards and 5 yards rushing make the suggestion of moving Hinton really laughable. It is a non-starter.

I think we have 4 really good QBs with a 5th coming in, but ideally the depth chart is the following:

Hinton
Newman
Bowers - Hartman

Hartman may very well be better today than Bowers will ever be, but it would be ideal to be able to redshirt Hartman this year. Bowers should be fully healed from his ACL repair by the summer if he is not already.

I'll add to that the "clubhouse" impact. Hinton has been a positive locker room influence for at least 2 of his 3 years in the program. You don't sweep that aside due to one bad scrimmage, period. He ascension curve, if you will, should be really inspirational in the locker room. Here is a guy who swaggered in with a lot of potential, clearly the more enticing option to Dave Clawson, and he simply could not stay healthy. When injuries curtailed him, he was a good teammate to Wolford. When Wolford just started playing out of his mind this time last year, Hinton continued to be a good teammate. Add to that, Hinton buckled down and became a better student of the game, better in prep, all of that, and he has earned his status, IMO, to be "the man." I fully expect only injuries to be the thing standing between him and a truly dynamic season.

Completely agree

Some folks never learn. Clawson values leadership, toughness, determination and experience in his quarterback. Wolford had plenty of critics during his career. Few, if any, criticized those qualities because he had all in abundance. Hinton has shown the same qualities despite a lesser role. Hinton has earned first string status and the opportunity to show his ability behind a quality OL. I'm OK if he succeeds in a different manner than Wolford, as long as he succeeds. I doubt Clawson will accept anything less than success.

If Clawson had just played the first stringers against the second stringers in the Spring game, Hinton would have had 400 yards of offense and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Instead we have the cockamamie spring choose up sides format that I doubt we ever even practice in. My guess is Hinton wins this job in August and if he doesn't, we have found one hell of a quarterback with a different name. Wolford took all kind of shit on this board. We used to wonder when he would throw that game killing, stupefying, interception. This Spring game offers about zero in rating Hinton as a QB IMO.

I’m high on Hartman but Hinton’s gonna be good this year.

That said I was high on Kearns (still think he threw a pretty ball) and on Tyler Cameron. Speaking of Cameron I remember he got in for some mop up duty against FSU his freshman year and I was really excited to see him. First pass was an absolute dime on a deep out. I told my FIL this dude was going to be so nice. I think he threw like 2 or 3 picks right after and may have not completed a single other pass. Good times.

LOL just looked up that game. Price was 1/4 for 3 yards and 3 picks. Cameron was 5/19 for 63 yards and 3 picks. We lost 59-3 in a game that wasn’t as close as the score indicated.

I don't understand why people are getting so defensive over Hinton. He's going to be good this year and there's probably a 99.9% chance he the starter opening game. People can both think be good this year and still have a cause for concern in regards to his passing accuracy. They are not mutually exclusive things.

Back