• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Hinton was 12-18 in last week’s scrimmage.

I wish some of you would be half as patient with Hinton for one offseason as you were with Wolford for four years.

We only had to be patient with Wolford for three years.

That one play when Hartman rolled left and I think threw across his body down the sideline to Bachman, I think, was a thing of beauty. Saw that Clark the next QB who is from my area was there again to visit. I believe he too is an exceptional

I think Hinton is still #1 at QB (and should be) but not by as much as we thought coming in to Spring. Hopefully he improves his passing game over the next 4 months because we know he already has the run thing down pat and presents a much greater threat the other QB's at this time don't.

Last edited:
Clawson plays to win and will make the best choice when the time comes. Still positive about Hinton as our presumptive starter. Surprised Hartman has not gotten more buzz. He has had a strong spring.

Hartman is entering his redshirt year. Hopefully he won’t have to play until 2020 at the earliest.

Hinton was 12-18 in last week’s scrimmage.

I wish some of you would be half as patient with Hinton for one offseason as you were with Wolford for four years.

This seems like revisionist history. I remember the majority being in favor of Hinton during Wolfords junior season, extremely disappointed when he got hurt, and then in favor of him starting to go into last season.

I have zero doubt Clawson will make the right call. And if Hartman gives us the best chance to win, it should be him. I don’t think that will be the case, but I do expect we’ll have a very good competition, which only makes the team better.

Hartman is entering his redshirt year. Hopefully he won’t have to play until 2020 at the earliest.

Doubt that happens.
Would be great if we didn't NEED to play him, but between injuries and his improving skill level, I'm guessing he plays in 2019 if not before.

This seems like revisionist history. I remember the majority being in favor of Hinton during Wolfords junior season, extremely disappointed when he got hurt, and then in favor of him starting to go into last season.

I have zero doubt Clawson will make the right call. And if Hartman gives us the best chance to win, it should be him. I don’t think that will be the case, but I do expect we’ll have a very good competition, which only makes the team better.

What is revisionist there? The majority were in favor of Hinton. “Some” stuck with Wolford. I wished that “some” posters would be as patient with Hinton as they were with Wolford.

Wolford went from running for his life to running for first downs. He stopped thinking that he had to carry the whole offense. The change in the OL was that they would fire out more often. The DL would just go into pass rush mode and react to the play action. Then our OL would drive block them, sending their spine out the backs of their jerseys. Next play, we would pass set and the DL would be late coming out of their stance. This is what Tabbacca meant by taking time to implement his system. Three of our OL getting All-ACC honors shown that it worked.

Barring injuries we should be fine. Plenty of homerun threats on Offense, a good OL coming back, sturdy defense getting better under year 2 of the system.

What is revisionist there? The majority were in favor of Hinton. “Some” stuck with Wolford. I wished that “some” posters would be as patient with Hinton as they were with Wolford.

You seem to be trying to clarify that you don't care if the majority moves on to the next younger QB, as long as some posters remain patient with Hinton? Seems weird to wish for a minority of support for your guy. I think that is why he says it is revisionist. He is reasonably assuming that if you are going to wish for support, you are going to wish for majority support.

That’s not what I said at all. I said I want the people who haven’t bought into Hinton yet were patient with Wolford to be patient with Hinton too.

I think that we should be patient with Hinton too. But his situation is different from Wolford's in that there seem to be very solid alternatives to him, and so inevitably the coaches will be aware of that. The biggest challenge is that Hinton is a huge running threat, while neither of his backups are. So, changing from Hinton would mean redirecting the offense to some extent. I hope the coaches prepare sufficiently for both Hinton's running offense and the passing offense of his potential alternatives. This is also necessary because a running quarterback can - and all too often will - get hurt, and then we will be forced to run a different offense.

Hinton is our only QB with an iota of experience, so he is going to get every opportunity to excel and should. He was but all we've heard, a GREAT teammate last year to Wollford and everyone else. This is a kid who was the man until injuries forced to miss a season in which he seemed one game away from returning only to have to wait the whole year and then sit behind Wollford. That, to me, is a man with character and a man with character is who you want leading a team so until I see Hinton fail against inferior competition, read, the first three games of the season, I want him taking all the meaningful snaps. Period.

And ideally, I'd want to redshirt Hartman for obvious reasons. . And stupid ideas of moving Hinton to another position means you want to go out with 3 QBs will about 20 snaps of experience in college between them. Pretty fucking stupid (BudatWake, I am talking to you). I expect Hinton to have a great season with more rushing yards than Wollford but lower passing stats. And for that reason, I don't expect him to play 13 games either. Probably 10-11, so happy to hear Newman is ready when needed. Hope he gets a lot of snaps in the 4th quarter of our first few games. With a 2TD+ lead

I think that we should be patient with Hinton too. But his situation is different from Wolford's in that there seem to be very solid alternatives to him, and so inevitably the coaches will be aware of that. The biggest challenge is that Hinton is a huge running threat, while neither of his backups are. So, changing from Hinton would mean redirecting the offense to some extent. I hope the coaches prepare sufficiently for both Hinton's running offense and the passing offense of his potential alternatives. This is also necessary because a running quarterback can - and all too often will - get hurt, and then we will be forced to run a different offense.

Good points.
One other - this could also cause or force the defenses of our competition to prepare for significantly different offenses.
As long as we do a decent job of executing either option, we'll be fine.

Hinton was the solid alternative to Wolford to the extent that he replaced Wolford as starter.

Hinton was the solid alternative to Wolford to the extent that he replaced Wolford as starter.

Exactly. It is great he feels competition, but the distance between our QB1 and QB2 is pretty large in that Hinton is in his 4th year in the program and has played in 17 games, thrown 245 times, passed for 1,500 and rushed for 700 yards. In comparison, Jamie Newman has thrown exactly 4 balls for 8 yards total and has rushed for 5 yards in his career. I am high on Newman and expect him to start some games next year out of necessity. If he makes a case for starter in game 5, well that means either Hinton is already banged up/hurt and/or Newman has really progressed. But Kendall Hinton is our starter and we are fortunate to have him, a guy with a lot of experience, lot of respect in the locker room, and a guy who creates a lot of preparation problems for a defense.

Yep. People are freaking out about a scrimmage in which he struggled passing behind the mostly backup OL against the mostly starter D and he still rushed for over 100 yards playing two hand touch.

A week after he went 12-18 in the second scrimmage.

Last edited:
Back