• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

^^^ that's my best stab at it now. Admittedly, probably got a few DBs mixed up - this would've been a lot easier immediately after spring practice, haha. Also, that's going by Clawson's preference of only listing one player at positions (other than special teams). So that doesn't show that like, Mike Allen could be the backup for both DE spots, or that Nate Gilliam is the primary backup LG, RG and C.

Most excited I’ve been about LB since the FRESH DEACS.

All depth charts are subject to change come August. Skinner was a third stringer weeks before the Syracuse game, and the rest is history. Anyway, the cream will rise to the top, and CLAW will start the best of them. 65 days til NOLA!

Hey Connor!!! How is Spencer Clapp looking???

Spencer looked bearded and bored in the spring - though I always enjoy talking to him, haha. He hurt his knee in a bowl practice and spent the entire spring on a stationary bike.

Ugh, I'm so annoyed that the Tulane game is in the middle of the week. Whyyyyy

I'd be there in a second

^^^ that's my best stab at it now. Admittedly, probably got a few DBs mixed up - this would've been a lot easier immediately after spring practice, haha. Also, that's going by Clawson's preference of only listing one player at positions (other than special teams). So that doesn't show that like, Mike Allen could be the backup for both DE spots, or that Nate Gilliam is the primary backup LG, RG and C.

Thanks for posting that 2-deep. VERY helpful indeed.

A couple of surprises. I would have thought that Manny Walker would have been the backup at both DE spots (as opposed to Mike Allen as you noted above). Also Tra Redd as a CB seems newsworthy if correct.

I'd be curious to know if the idea of moving Demetrius Kemp to BUCK or MIKE (and starting Williams at Rover) is still on the table. Also how close safety Nasir Greer is to making the 2-deep.

Any 2-deep roster will likely understate Coby Davis's role this season. I'd think Davis will see the field a lot in various subpackages.

Thanks for posting that 2-deep. VERY helpful indeed.

A couple of surprises. I would have thought that Manny Walker would have been the backup at both DE spots (as opposed to Mike Allen as you noted above). Also Tra Redd as a CB seems newsworthy if correct.

I'd be curious to know if the idea of moving Demetrius Kemp to BUCK or MIKE (and starting Williams at Rover) is still on the table. Also how close safety Nasir Greer is to making the 2-deep.

Any 2-deep roster will likely understate Coby Davis's role this season. I'd think Davis will see the field a lot in various subpackages.

Spot on about Davis. He'll be part of the versatility Clawson wants, and that was basically absent last year. He'll be in the slot, at safety, etc.

I think that linebacker scenario is still on the table, but I came out of spring thinking DJ Taylor played well enough to earn that spot. He's probably got to build on that in August, though.

I'm probably mixing up Redd and Grate. I put Redd there because he had a decent spring. But I think you're right, Redd being a safety and Grate being a corner.

Nasir Greer would be on the 2-deep if Luke Masterson hadn't had a great spring. He made standout plays in every scrimmage and in the spring game.

Do we really expect Wade to start over Masterson? I assume we didn't move him there to sit on the bench or play spot minutes, but it would be impressive to change positions and start at the P5 level in less than 6 months of practice. Masterson was also a pretty big liability last year, although it's great to hear he had a strong spring.

Do we really expect Wade to start over Masterson? I assume we didn't move him there to sit on the bench or play spot minutes, but it would be impressive to change positions and start at the P5 level in less than 6 months of practice. Masterson was also a pretty big liability last year, although it's great to hear he had a strong spring.

Yes and yes. Clawson was crystal clear on Wade moving there to be the starter, and Chuck improved every day in practice. Also, and I know high school and P5 are vastly different, but Wade's senior year defensive stats were: 67 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 ints. and 3 TDs. I wasn't covering the team when he signed, but I think it's safe to say the only reason Chuck played 3 years of WR at Wake is because that position was so thin, and safety wasn't, when he got here. I think if Chuck had signed, say, last year or this year, he'd have started his career at safety.

Thanks for everything, Connor...Looking forward to a fantastic season...

Thanks for a great job on the two deep. It will be interesting to see who plays their way onto and off of the two deep in August.

Coach Clawson referenced Zach Toms good play at center a lot in the spring. I expect he will see some action there in non conference games. It’s nice to have one of the best C in the country in Ryan Anderson. Nate Gilliam is like a 6th starter. He is so flexible. He can play any position on the OL.

Top Five ACC Wide Receivers to Know - Shakin the Southlandhttps://apple.news/AnNzOSZG8T_G5mL2QqY9P4A

1. Greg Dortch (WFU), a slot receiver, for Wake Forest is #1 on our list. Originally a bit lower on the list, he rose as we dug a little deeper into the statistics. The raw stats are good: 53 receptions, 722 yards, 9 TDs. That’s all the more impressive when you realize it was in just eight games.

The Demon Deacons leaned heavily on Dortch to move their offense (the best in school history) down the field and into the end zone. Wake Forest led the ACC in passing TDs with 33, and Greg Dortch had the biggest chunk of those with 9 - despite missing five games. He averaged 3.9 yards receiving every time he ran a route (ACC games only)! That’s a full yard better than any other receiver. He averaged 6.6 receptions per game and when Wake Forest QBs threw to him they posted a 134.0 passer rating.

In his last game of his year - prior to getting hurt - he burnt Louisville’s lousy pass defense for 167 yards and a school-record 4 receiving TDs. Although he’ll miss QB John Wolford, but he is only a rising RS sophomore and will destroy all the Wake Forest WR records if he sticks around for a couple more seasons.

Hopefully by the end of the coming season, we'll have at least one more in the top 5.

Hopefully by the end of the coming season, we'll have at least one more in the top 5.

Scotty Washington has been developing nicely. He is learning to use his height and leaping ability to make jump balls his. If he continues to improve, he could make the liss of Cam a little less important.

I’m really high on Washington. And I’m even higher on our depth that will limit the number of freshman WR who have to play like he did.

Washington is the perfect compliment to Dortch. WF's receivers create big time match-up problems. Think that Washington will play in the NFL.

Back