• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Good stuff, Les. I'm surprised Clawson still doesn't like the early signing day. I feel like we really benefited from it last year.

just looked at our schedule again. While I'm pleased we avoid the Saturday after Thanksgiving game, 5 homers in a row and only 2 after October 6 is not ideal for those of us who enjoy fall Saturdays at MSD. Those early September games are brutal for those who sit on the East side; was hoping for an evening kick for Towson vs. high noon.

Agree. The Towson starting time is ridiculous. I’ll be skipping that game. Hopefully, most of the others will be at night.

I agree that playing Towson at noon on 9/8 will probably be brutally hot, but after reading Coach Clawson's comments at ACC Media Day about our schedule, I think the BC game the following Thursday night is why we scheduled Towson at noon. I think since the Towson game is only going to be broadcast by the ACC Network Extra streaming service (aka Watch ESPN), WFU had the opportunity to choose the starting time.

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...-takes-center-stage-at-ACC-Kickoff--119926957

Apparently Coach Clawson feels one of the biggest challenges of our schedule is having to play two games with only 4 days rest not once, but twice. I think that is why we scheduled Towson at noon instead of say 6:30pm, so that the players will get around 6 more hours to recover before playing BC the following Thursday night.

Wake made the call to play Towson at noon? I assumed it was mandated by tv scheduling. Lack of more Oct home games is unfortunate

It will likely be hot as hell, but who cares. Why not mop up, give the second and third string plenty of work, and get it over with asap.

To help try and cure some of the usual offseason slowness, I decided to imagine what an ACC Football Division realignment might look like. Interested to hear some of your guys' thoughts on which proposal option you would most be in favor of going forward: https://www.bloggersodear.com/2018/...eas-for-the-conferences-divisions-wake-forest

I like the legacy best, North-South.next. Both are fan friendly. Also think it would be cost value for the schools. Anything would be better than artificial hodgepodge we have now. There will be no changes- fans and fannies in-the-seats interests left with ESPN becoming what it is today.

To help try and cure some of the usual offseason slowness, I decided to imagine what an ACC Football Division realignment might look like. Interested to hear some of your guys' thoughts on which proposal option you would most be in favor of going forward: https://www.bloggersodear.com/2018/...eas-for-the-conferences-divisions-wake-forest

I like all of them better than what we have now.

One way to make the 5-team pods work is to have the top two division champs play in the ACCCG and the third division champ is guaranteed to play in the Orange Bowl (Miami) or Camping World Bowl (Orlando).

These are good from a Wake Forest perspective but the perspectives of other teams is a bit lacking. For example, #2 pretty much kicks Virginia to the curb aside from VT. In #3 Clemson- GT is a big traditional rivalry that gets left out. Although it is a bit more recent, you could also throw in Clemson-FSU. BC-Miami is also a rivalry to some. There really isn't anyway to fix this sadly. Getting to 16 and having 4 pods of 4 could be interesting but it would probably have crazy imbalance such as the 4 NC schools who aren't traditional powers, while probably having another pod of Clemson, GT, FSU, and Miami. #3 is an interesting suggestion that I haven't seen though! Every plausible scenario will have a couple flaws that anger some fanbases. If/when it happens let's just hope it's other fans that are pissed, not us!

I agree that playing Towson at noon on 9/8 will probably be brutally hot, but after reading Coach Clawson's comments at ACC Media Day about our schedule, I think the BC game the following Thursday night is why we scheduled Towson at noon. I think since the Towson game is only going to be broadcast by the ACC Network Extra streaming service (aka Watch ESPN), WFU had the opportunity to choose the starting time.

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...-takes-center-stage-at-ACC-Kickoff--119926957

Apparently Coach Clawson feels one of the biggest challenges of our schedule is having to play two games with only 4 days rest not once, but twice. I think that is why we scheduled Towson at noon instead of say 6:30pm, so that the players will get around 6 more hours to recover before playing BC the following Thursday night.

Are those six hours of recovery worth the extra fatigue they’ll endure by playing under hot sun instead of under the lights?

Are those six hours of recovery worth the extra fatigue they’ll endure by playing under hot sun instead of under the lights?

Man. . .almost every time I personally hear players talk about preferred kickoff times, they seem to like afternoons best. Many players hate wasting time all day in the hotel prior to getting to the stadium. As a fan, we all want those great nighttime kickoffs where you can tailgate all day and help create a fun atmosphere. Players tend to tell me they'd rather player early. Not at all what I would have thought.

Les, they don't want to over think things, they just want to go out and hit somebody. Also, Ron should know that Chablis is served slightly chilled, even for a 100 degree noon kick off.

Man. . .almost every time I personally hear players talk about preferred kickoff times, they seem to like afternoons best. Many players hate wasting time all day in the hotel prior to getting to the stadium. As a fan, we all want those great nighttime kickoffs where you can tailgate all day and help create a fun atmosphere. Players tend to tell me they'd rather player early. Not at all what I would have thought.

College kids have other things to do on Saturday nights.

College kids have other things to do on Saturday nights.

I mean, that's a good point as well. But I do hear of boredom and anxiousness waiting around all morning/afternoon. But this is purely anecdotal evidence at best.

It's probably both. I can't imagine there are many of us who would rather sit around all day before a big presentation or an interview rather just do it and hang out or relax at night.

In fact, that's why fans like night games. They can do the tailgating then hang out.

Back