• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Yeah. Colburn is pretty reliable and we have some depth behind him.

John Wolford had 3 300 yard games halfway through his senior season.

His last 7 games he had two 400 yard game and two 300 yard games. Only one of those games was with our best receiver.

To say he didn't improve is silly.

We need to remember that he played his junior season against some teams that knew his plays ahead. Amazingly (!?) he improved when defenses did not know his plays.

I am skeptical that this was the entire story. I watched every game we played. A light was certainly turned on with his decision making and accuracy. Damn I wish we had him for one more year.

I also think the playcalling improved significantly and the offense became less conservative as the year went on.

I am skeptical that this was the entire story. I watched every game we played. A light was certainly turned on with his decision making and accuracy. Damn I wish we had him for one more year.

I agree. The only game where it seemed obvious was the UL game.

If I was the Tulane DC, I come out with 8 in the box and make a QB making his first start beat me. So we may get a look at Newman's arm early.

Last edited:
We need to remember that he played his junior season against some teams that knew his plays ahead. Amazingly (!?) he improved when defenses did not know his plays.

Are defenses going to know the next QB’s plays?

If I'm not mistaken, Newman and Hartman were both considered the possible back up to Hinton at the end of spring practice. Despite Newman's extensive experience running the offense, Hartman established an equal footing at QB. He must have something Clawson likes to receive that consideration. It could be passing ability, judgement and leadership. Talent. Fall practice should be interesting.

Still pissed that we mailed it in for the 2nd half of the Duke game last year, in what should have been an epic 9 win season.....off my chest; carry on...

Still pissed that we mailed it in for the 2nd half of the Duke game last year, in what should have been an epic 9 win season.....off my chest; carry on...

I mostly agree. After quite a good 1st half, we slumped badly in the 2nd. Two critical situations I mainly recall were relative short 3rd down plays on two drives, inside Duke 50 yard line, Wolford missed badly on easy/short pass attempts. Very unlike him. Then we didn't go for it on 4th and gave up the ball. Disappointment all around in those situations, Wolford, Coach Claw, etc. and we came up short on score.

I also think the playcalling improved significantly and the offense became less conservative as the year went on.

This. Was it his junior year or early senior when Clawson had that unbelievably conservative game plan that had everyone puzzled, including JW it appeared?

This. Was it his junior year or early senior when Clawson had that unbelievably conservative game plan that had everyone puzzled, including JW it appeared?

Right. And that was because our offense as a whole could not, in his opinion, handle the wide-open strategy prior to the point he actually gave it the go-ahead. This hasn't been rocket science.

So, I stumbled on a CFL football game on ESPN2. Pull up the rosters just to see if I recognized any names. Come to find out, Nikita Whitlock plays for the Hamilton Tiger Cats. Hey, it beats watching skateboarding...

So, I stumbled on a CFL football game on ESPN2. Pull up the rosters just to see if I recognized any names. Come to find out, Nikita Whitlock plays for the Hamilton Tiger Cats. Hey, it beats watching skateboarding...

Glad he landed somewhere.
Actually, he could have a very good career in the CFL.
Would love to see him become another James Parker.

I just switched over to the CFL game.
The very first play I saw was Nikita with a tackle for a loss!

I assume he must play both ways some as a game I saw a bit of several week ago, he was in the offensive backfield. I recall he caught a pass and also ran on a play.

Back