• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

I'm expecting a lot of qb runs vs tulane. I am thinking we end up running the ball 70-75% of the time against them. Our O-line should be able to open up big holes and wear them down by late 3rd and early 4th quarter. This statement would have seemed like lunacy a few years ago. That unit has come a LONG way.

Is Newman much of a running QB?

He's no Hinton or Wolford, but he's no stiff either. I'm so ready to see the run game in action. So many weapons to account for with Colburn, Beal, the forgotten man Cade Carney, and even Dortch should get some carries to the outside. Damn, that is a nightmare for the opposition.

The bubble screen to Dortch with pulling OL and WRs blocking is basically a running play. And it is awesome. Also sets up the pump and go to one of the WRs who stalk blocks then goes deep. Can't wait.

Newman ran for over 2000 yards and 29 TDs in HS. All the recruiting rankings listed Newman as a 'dual threat" QB. WF lists Newman as 6-4 240; so, guessing his running style is more of a "run over the defense" than "run around the defense". Definitely a different style than Wolford or Hinton.

He's no Hinton or Wolford, but he's no stiff either. I'm so ready to see the run game in action. So many weapons to account for with Colburn, Beal, the forgotten man Cade Carney, and even Dortch should get some carries to the outside. Damn, that is a nightmare for the opposition.

Cade is such a beast when he's healthy. It's a luxury having him backing up Colburn.

I'm a Cade fan, but Colburn brings a pass-catching element that Carney hasn't shown, in addition to being a superior runner.

Disagree. I have been impressed with Cade's hands on screens and short passes. He does seem to be a straight line runner, but he's got really good hands IMO.

Yeah. It’s a tough division. Dungey is going to be very tough in his 12th year at QB for the Cuse.

Guys, so much like you, I was mad about being picked 6th in the Atlantic, so I went and asked the media what they were thinking.

https://www.si.com/college-football...nconference-scheduling-scott-frost-nick-saban

Although some Wake homers (and Hintonistas) believed we wouldn't miss a beat losing John Wolford, the nation at large sees it quite a bit differently. And with good reason: Losing a long-time highly capable QB who led the team to two bowl games often has a negative impact the following season. Maybe we get another Riley Skinner story, but that still remains to be seen.

We need to win 2 out of 3 of the BC, NC State and Louisville games I think and one of Clemson Florida State and ND to have an awesome season.

Although some Wake homers (and Hintonistas) believed we wouldn't miss a beat losing John Wolford, the nation at large sees it quite a bit differently. And with good reason: Losing a long-time highly capable QB who led the team to two bowl games often has a negative impact the following season. Maybe we get another Riley Skinner story, but that still remains to be seen.

Yeah, you don't lose one of the best QBs in program history without being expected to decline a bit. The team should be plenty motivated with the number of good players returning.

Wolford is going to be much harder to replace than people think. Losing Wolford is the biggest loss since Skinner graduated. They are the only Wake QB's to win more than one bowl game.

Newman ran for over 2000 yards and 29 TDs in HS. All the recruiting rankings listed Newman as a 'dual threat" QB. WF lists Newman as 6-4 240; so, guessing his running style is more of a "run over the defense" than "run around the defense". Definitely a different style than Wolford or Hinton.

usually in high school, Newman was running for his life. his team was not good.

Back