• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

I think this is the year to go 4-Wide for most of the game. Dortch, Washington, Bachman, and rotate a 4th WR based on situation. Spread out the D a little more, as Beal and Colburn look good in space, and then use Carney when we need to try to grind out a couple. Keep the best players on the field as much as possible, and don't try make Freudenthal be Cam, when he isn't.

Of Course this isn't going to be the offense 100% of the time, but it should be the base personnel this season.

#hottakeexpress

I love it. We are probably deeper at WR than a lot of teams are at DB. Go 4 wide and force other teams to match up. As soon as they only put 5 or 6 in the box it would become the Colburn and Carney show.

I love it. We are probably deeper at WR than a lot of teams are at DB. Go 4 wide and force other teams to match up. As soon as they only put 5 or 6 in the box it would become the Colburn and Carney show.

Are we really that deep at WR? Starters should be set with Dortch, Washington, and Bachman. However, Washington is dinged right now, and if Dortch returns kicks and punts, that puts him at more risk. Claude has some experience, but really hasn't done much to stand out. Sounds like Roberson has looked really good in practice, but he has yet to see real game action. Also sounds like Surratt may be ready to get some meaningful time, but he has yet to play a real down yet either. Maybe if everyone stays healthy and at least a couple of the red-shirt or true frosh prove reliable, you have enough depth. An injury or two and/or the young guys still aren't ready to play a lot and you may be hard pressed to get 3 reliable WRs out there. I've wondered if they will try to get Beal some catches out in space by splitting him out some.

Edit - I guess one wildcard will be what position Hinton ends up playing.

Last edited:
Are we really that deep at WR? Starters should be set with Dortch, Washington, and Bachman. However, Washington is dinged right now, and if Dortch returns kicks and punts, that puts him at more risk. Claude has some experience, but really hasn't done much to stand out. Sounds like Roberson has looked really good in practice, but he has yet to see real game action. Also sounds like Surratt may be ready to get some meaningful time, but he has yet to play a real down yet either. Maybe if everyone stays healthy and at least a couple of the red-shirt or true frosh prove reliable, you have enough depth. An injury or two and/or the young guys still aren't ready to play a lot and you may be hard pressed to get 3 reliable WRs out there. I've wondered if they will try to get Beal some catches out in space by splitting him out some.

Edit - I guess one wildcard will be what position Hinton ends up playing.

Pretty sharp post here, Bubble. Wake looks EXTREMELY deep and talented at wide receiver, until you pull Dortch and Washington out of the mix as was the case in the scrimmage Saturday.

I'm worried about the depth at two positions that take beatings, DT and RB.

Feel like DT may be our deepest position, with 4 starter-caliber players. RB also has 3 (assuming Beal lives up to the hype) of what I'd consider starter-caliber players. Those don't include any R Frosh/Frosh backups either.

I'm much more concerned about DE and LB.

Feel like DT may be our deepest position, with 4 starter-caliber players. RB also has 3 (assuming Beal lives up to the hype) of what I'd consider starter-caliber players. Those don't include any R Frosh/Frosh backups either.

My concerns are QB, TE and the safety spots (and kicker). FWIW, Clawson said today that LB Ryan Smenda WILL play as a true frosh (his recruiting tape, which can be deceiving was strong). Sounded like Smenda has looked really good so far. Other true frosh will get the opportunity to play during the 4 game window to earn PT for the balance of the season.

My concerns are QB, TE and the safety spots (and kicker). FWIW, Clawson said today that LB Ryan Smenda WILL play as a true frosh (his recruiting tape, which can be deceiving was strong). Sounded like Smenda has looked really good so far. Other true frosh will get the opportunity to play during the 4 game window to earn PT for the balance of the season.

I actually feel pretty good about the safety position after hearing the interview with Clawson today. After Glenn and Chucky there is Coby/Masterson/Redd (think he will break out) and Hardimon. That's 6 right there that Clawson/Sawvel have praised.

Yeah, I feel like from a talent perspective, Kamara/Bateman would be starting if not for two Rs-Seniors in front of them. RB depth will always be a concern.

Also echo the DE/LB issue: After Calhoun/Boogie it seems that Manny has been the only name i've heard good things about.

After Strnad, there is no one proving. Sounds like DJ might turn into a stud though.

Agree about TE now that Cole is gone....really just 2 guys now.

I actually feel pretty good about the safety position after hearing the interview with Clawson today. After Glenn and Chucky there is Coby/Masterson/Redd (think he will break out) and Hardimon. That's 6 right there that Clawson/Sawvel have praised.

Yeah, I feel like from a talent perspective, Kamara/Bateman would be starting if not for two Rs-Seniors in front of them. RB depth will always be a concern.

Also echo the DE/LB issue: After Calhoun/Boogie it seems that Manny has been the only name i've heard good things about.

After Strnad, there is no one proving. Sounds like DJ might turn into a stud though.

I know that Manny is very quick and athletic, but he's still only 235 lbs. Would have hoped he'd be up around 250 by now.
Need a little beef to keep from getting run over.

My point about RB and DT is that they are prone nicks and dings that will wear down their effectiveness. Outside pass rush can be supplemented by schemes. TE position can be helped by another WR or a third OT, just for blocking (less likely). You can't run the ball without RBs and you can't stop the run without run stopping DTs. We're 2 deep at DT and have two RBs with carries from last year.

That’s interesting. I hope it’s more about the other guys getting better than Masterson slipping.

Also worth noting that Masterson is the #1 backup to Glenn. I imagine Clawson went out of his way to say that because Masterson and Glenn could be on the field at the same time if Glenn moved to Rover or the safety spot.

Yeah, we are going to have 7 safeties in the field at once this year. All the safeties.

I know that Manny is very quick and athletic, but he's still only 235 lbs. Would have hoped he'd be up around 250 by now.
Need a little beef to keep from getting run over.

Walker is up to 245. There is a printable roster in the quicklinks under football that is more up to date with weights than the one that pops up on the screen. The printable version you will see several changes, including the Mike Edwards jump to 370 lbs.

Is Dortch really going to be returning kicks? Seems unnecessary.

I don't know if he'll be returning kicks, but it's not at all uncommon for college teams to have their best players return kicks. Pretty sure Campanaro returned kicks for Wake. Also, if the player shows they're good at it, it just makes them that more valuable in the draft.

Christian Kirk returned kickoffs and punts for Texas A&M last season.

Back