• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

I'd like to take a moment to point out how well Clawson recruiting is going. Everybody, including me, applaud the 4* we get. But what I appreciate is his ability to keep the ship sailing forward. He has fewer "knotheads" than Grobe had. No mentions in the "Police Blotter". Recruits passing through rave about the "Family feeling" on the team. And I like how he would set up an academic pathway for the players. We are in good hands. In Claw We Trust.

Good post 76.
You should consider upgrading to a 77.

I'd like to take a moment to point out how well Clawson recruiting is going. Everybody, including me, applaud the 4* we get. But what I appreciate is his ability to keep the ship sailing forward. He has fewer "knotheads" than Grobe had. No mentions in the "Police Blotter". Recruits passing through rave about the "Family feeling" on the team. And I like how he would set up an academic pathway for the players. We are in good hands. In Claw We Trust.

Yeah, he really does seem like the perfect "fit" for Wake.

Love Clawson, but literally any program can and will find its recruits/players in the Police Blotter or other untoward situations (as a small example, IIRC, someone found an arrest for Kendall Hinton in the last year). This is true from Vandy to Stanford to WF to the Ivies to L'ville to Minnesota to Auburn.

There is no doubt that Clawson and staff work their arses off to find kids that will succeed on the field, the classroom and socially at WF. That said, always get nervous when people get too high and mighty about the morals of their favorite program as all it takes is one night's bad decision by even "good" kids to cause bad press and ridiculous overreactions about the direction of a program and the quality of the kids playing for that program. Stuff happens (or will happen) with 18-22 boys/men; even at WF, even with Clawson as the coach.

Love Clawson, but literally any program can and will find its recruits/players in the Police Blotter or other untoward situations (as a small example, IIRC, someone found an arrest for Kendall Hinton in the last year). This is true from Vandy to Stanford to WF to the Ivies to L'ville to Minnesota to Auburn.

There is no doubt that Clawson and staff work their arses off to find kids that will succeed on the field, the classroom and socially at WF. That said, always get nervous when people get too high and mighty about the morals of their favorite program as all it takes is one night's bad decision by even "good" kids to cause bad press and ridiculous overreactions about the direction of a program and the quality of the kids playing for that program. Stuff happens (or will happen) with 18-22 boys/men; even at WF, even with Clawson as the coach.

Good post.

Some of these things tend to be self-reinforcing as well. Get kids who have much less inclination to step outside behavioral bounds. That will tend to create a climate in which that is unacceptable, and where the peer group will discourage, rather than encourage bad behavior. Peer pressure can be the strongest deterrent to kids doing something stupid.

If your buddies' reaction to the "hold my beer" request is more along the lines of "that sounds pretty dumb" than "sounds pretty fun" proposed action is less likely to happen.

Wolford and Hinton took the majority of the meaningful snaps at QB. I would still view our QBs as being fairly green at this point, but Clawson moving Hinton to WR says the kids must be ready.

Recall last year how Clawson delayed revealing much of the playbook until later in the season to keep opponents off balance?

Clawson will have everyone convinced Hinton is done at QB just in time to throw a monkey wrench in a DC’s
game prep and scheme when Hinton arrives on the field running for yards and passing for more. There’s no way Hinton doesn’t play QB this year at some point.

Recall last year how Clawson delayed revealing much of the playbook until later in the season to keep opponents off balance?

Clawson will have everyone convinced Hinton is done at QB just in time to throw a monkey wrench in a DC’s
game prep and scheme when Hinton arrives on the field running for yards and passing for more. There’s no way Hinton doesn’t play QB this year at some point.

I am still of the opinion that Hinton at QB will be more a function of the health, progress and success of the young guys rather than Hinton or any "gamesmanship" with opponents defenses.

Good post, Pilch.

I think Hinton will effectively be an emergency QB and backup WR/KR utility guy come ND. But I will laugh my ass off is Clawson trots him out as the starter against ND with a completely new gameplan. Kind of makes sense for a guy suspended the first three games to focus his film study on Game 4.

I'm not trying to be high and mighty. I'm pointing out the lack of drama from the later Grobe days. Kids who leave aren't commented on. No blowback from those who have left. (Godspower Offer comes to mind). Shaw has done a great job at Stanford. Some of Franklins recruits at Vandy are in jail.

Good post.

+1 Plenty of "regular" students end up in the police blotter as well. You get kids away from parents and around other kids, and they will make some bad decisions. You just hope those bad decisions are not too numerous or severe. But I understand 76' point.

Last edited:
Bell is done.

I hate this for him.
After what he was showing a few years ago, he could be a valuable contributor now.
As mentioned, hope he finishes school and gets his degree. That would be something positive for him to celebrate

I think this is the year to go 4-Wide for most of the game. Dortch, Washington, Bachman, and rotate a 4th WR based on situation. Spread out the D a little more, as Beal and Colburn look good in space, and then use Carney when we need to try to grind out a couple. Keep the best players on the field as much as possible, and don't try make Freudenthal be Cam, when he isn't.

Of Course this isn't going to be the offense 100% of the time, but it should be the base personnel this season.

#hottakeexpress

That with Hines would have been sick.

Clawson likes the usage of the tight end. Keeps mentioning how important it is to replace Serigne.

That with Hines would have been sick.

First off, I am not totally writing off Hinton starting a game at QB this season. Secondly, it still works with Newman, who has shown the ability to scramble for yards. He is bigger than most of our TE's (I could even see him being used similar to the "Belldozer Formation" at Oklahoma with Blake Bell at QB). Also, if you are a young QB making your initial starts, you want to have more reliable receiving options, guys who can make the catch when the QB misses the window. If the QB needs to dump off or make short passes, the RB's have shown their ability to catch the ball. Wake should really try this out against Tulane and Towson, to see how it works before they face the BC pass rush.

Clawson likes the usage of the tight end. Keeps mentioning how important it is to replace Serigne.

See this is what I am arguing against. We don't have the personnel this year to do what we did last year, so why force it. The coaches needs to be able to adapt to the personnel available. This is the strongest O-line we have seen in a while, and they should have the ability to handle most of the pass rushes they see, without a TE. Do we have a starting caliber TE on this team? Possibly, maybe, unclear. So why put one on the field when there are better options.

PH was talking about Tabari Hines. Those 3 plus Hines would be an amazing 4 to have on the field at the same time. Hopefully, Bachman can slide into the other slot and Surratt can excel outside in 4 WR formations.

Roberson sounds like the real deal as well. If we can get a significant contribution out of either him or Surratt, we should be set.

Back