• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Yeah. Last season, he was out for the season because he landed awkwardly on the ball while scoring a TD. I hope we don’t hold him out for fear of injury on a kickoffs.

I don't know if he'll be returning kicks, but it's not at all uncommon for college teams to have their best players return kicks. Pretty sure Campanaro returned kicks for Wake. Also, if the player shows they're good at it, it just makes them that more valuable in the draft.

Christian Kirk returned kickoffs and punts for Texas A&M last season.

Which ended his season due to a broken collarbone against Syracuse in that ugly 13-0 loss If I remember. Camp has always been plagued by injuries unfortunately. Hell, even when nobody is within 30 yards of him he'll severely sprain an ankle on the sideline in the final few minutes of the last game of the regular season :rulz:.

Yeah, Camp is made of glass and every season for the past five or six years has ended in injury for him if I'm not mistaken.

Kick returning is how he got on the field as a RS Freshman. He didn't return kickofffs his senior year but was back for punts.

Walker is up to 245. There is a printable roster in the quicklinks under football that is more up to date with weights than the one that pops up on the screen. The printable version you will see several changes, including the Mike Edwards jump to 370 lbs.

Mike Edwards would be big even for an NFL lineman. He put on a lot of weight (45 lbs) between the 2018 roster and this reported 370. Will that hurt his speed, quickness and/or stamina?

You have to put your best playmakers in the best situation to make...plays. If that means putting Dortch at kick/punt returns then i'm all for it.

Mike Edwards would be big even for an NFL lineman. He put on a lot of weight (45 lbs) between the 2018 roster and this reported 370. Will that hurt his speed, quickness and/or stamina?

Would have to. That's too big and probably not good weight (espeically in that amount of time). NCSU is having the same problem with OL Kharic Belle. Showed up 45-50 pounds heavier than expected.

That DT, Cam Goode, who we recruited but ended up at VT, got literally cut from the team because he showed up way heavier than expected

Walker is up to 245. There is a printable roster in the quicklinks under football that is more up to date with weights than the one that pops up on the screen. The printable version you will see several changes, including the Mike Edwards jump to 370 lbs.

Thanks. Good news.
Hearing lots of good things about Manny.

Wake Forest with Bookend DE’s Basham and Allen

Both at 6’5-270 — nice

Manny is beginning to show why he was South Carolina Top 10 and received offers from Georgia,Tennessee,South Carolina,Auburn,etc.,

With Manny it was a given that the top schools would need to “wait for the weight”,as it were.
The aim is for 3 years of top end performance starting as a RS Soph. Therefore I look at Manny as a relative newbie because this is the time evaluators earmarked for his development. He is cat quick and very fast — an SEC type End. I see Basham as a Big Ten Buckeye type DE and Allen is a Coast to Coast type of prospect..Notre Dame or USC — both of whom were among the 40 scholarships he received

Yeah. Last season, he was out for the season because he landed awkwardly on the ball while scoring a TD. I hope we don’t hold him out for fear of injury on a kickoffs.

Clawson today: "I mean, everything we do on offense is to try to get him the ball in space, and punt returns and kick returns you start with the ball in space."

How many times you see games against elite teams where you actually have comparable numbers from the line of scrimmage, but they overwhelm you with big plays in special teams and a couple of big plays during the game.

Clawson talked about Wade today. Said he was getting better at safety every practice. He listed the top 3 safeties as: Cam Glenn, Coby Davis and Chuck Wade. Luke Masterson is #4.

good deal, for some reason I thought he was on the mend

Was hoping Redd would emerge this season.

What is the projected 2-deep at CB?

Bassey / Henderson

Ja'Sir Taylor / HELP WANTED.

I mean, in all seriousness, I think the 4th CB is either Malik Grate or Zion Keith. But it's a lot more likely that nickel and dime, Coby Davis and Luke Masterson come onto the field. They love Davis.

Bassey / Henderson

I mean, in all seriousness, I think the 4th CB is either Malik Grate or Zion Keith. But it's a lot more likely that nickel and dime, Coby Davis and Luke Masterson come onto the field. They love Davis.

Boogie and Mike Allen better be living in the opponents backfield to help out the corners. CB is a lot easier if the opposing QB is running for his life.

Bassey / Henderson

Does that read as 1st string top row, then 2nd string bottom row, or as Bassey and Taylor as starters?

Bassey and Henderson as starters. Sorry for the confusion. Those two are entrenched, and Taylor could stand to be more consistent, but I think he's a decent third option.

Boogie and Mike Allen better be living in the opponents backfield to help out the corners. CB is a lot easier if the opposing QB is running for his life.

Boogie is the likely option. Chris Calhoun is a lot better pass-rusher than you'd think. Mike Allen is hurt. I'll have a defensive line feature posting soon, probably tomorrow.

Bassey and Henderson as starters. Sorry for the confusion. Those two are entrenched, and Taylor could stand to be more consistent, but I think he's a decent third option.
Taylor will come along fine especially after more heat of the fire from more PT.

Perhaps it is too much to ask; but do you have a list of injured players...particularly players on the 2-deep roster? Of special concern are those likely to miss the 1st game.

thanks

Back