• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Picked up an Athlon Magazine today at the supermarket which had us fourth in the Atlantic, behind Clem, FSU and NCState. A little bit better than the sixth team by the ACC pseudojournalists.

Picked up an Athlon Magazine today at the supermarket which had us fourth in the Atlantic, behind Clem, FSU and NCState. A little bit better than the sixth team by the ACC pseudojournalists.

Atlantic Standings
Clemson 7-1
Not Cuse 5-3
Not Cuse 5-3
Not Cuse 5-3
Not Cuse 4-4
Not Cuse 4-4
Cuse 3-5

Caldwell has never been bitter. He is a first-class person who recognizes that life is about a lot more than any one success or failure. WF is very lucky to have him around.

I gripe a lot about Wellman but I'll always be proud of him for hiring JC.

That sums up my feelings as well

Seems pretty reasonable, especially since we've got to go to Tallahassee and Rawley.

Pretty cool to see Coach Caldwell at practice. He is a class act. I'm sure he's impressed with the capital commitment that has been made to support the program. Lord knows he didn't have much to work with in the 90's. The investment back in those days in the program was pitiful.

Would like to see him back for an "Open the Gate" game next season to celebrate the 20th of the Aloha Bowl win.

Pretty cool to see Coach Caldwell at practice. He is a class act. I'm sure he's impressed with the capital commitment that has been made to support the program. Lord knows he didn't have much to work with in the 90's. The investment back in those days in the program was pitiful.

Would like to see him back for an "Open the Gate" game next season to celebrate the 20th of the Aloha Bowl win.
Agreed. Jim Caldwell probably had more structural difficulties than anyone realizes except ADs. Word was there was little money for assistants and many top flight potentials didnt want to take a chance on both LOWF and the groundbreaking quality at that time of JC. I presume he’s done very well financially nonetheless. He certainly should always hold his stature high regardless of the record.

Very good idea.

The fact that JC has not, to my knowledge, ever bad-mouthed WF and that he continues to be present at WF sporting events (much like Odom) speaks strongly as to the kind of man he is. I wish he had been more successful here; but he is one of my all-time favorites nonetheless.

I think that is a great idea. I got to interact and introduce Coach Caldwell at a Wake meeting years back and found him to be so kind to all involved. He was and is a fine representative of the University even though not an alum. He and his wife were so supportive of all their children who had different talents from football to art. He is a gem and should be honored.

I think that is a great idea. I got to interact and introduce Coach Caldwell at a Wake meeting years back and found him to be so kind to all involved. He was and is a fine representative of the University even though not an alum. He and his wife were so supportive of all their children who had different talents from football to art. He is a gem and should be honored.

+1
Imagine all of us could get a 'JC for the Gate' movement started.
I'm sure he would be honored and thrilled to do it. So would we.

+1
Imagine all of us could get a 'JC for the Gate' movement started.
I'm sure he would be honored and thrilled to do it. So would we.

I’m down with that. I’d like to see Grobe do it at some point too.

Caldwell is all class. The real deal in my book. Perhaps he feels a debt of gratitude for being one of the first blacks to headcoach in P5. Or maybe he feels that he was given every opportunity to succeed and believes he was treated well by the school when it was time for a change. I hope that he has grown to accept things and is not bitter; it certainly seems that way. Glad he came by

Agree with all of the nice things said about Caldwell but he averaged 3.2 wins per season and was given 8 years. It was time to move on after the second half debacle at NCSU. Things have turned out pretty well for both WF and JC since he left.

Agree with all of the nice things said about Caldwell but he averaged 3.2 wins per season and was given 8 years. It was time to move on after the second half debacle at NCSU. Things have turned out pretty well for both WF and JC since he left.

Yep. Let's not get carried away with the Caldwell love.

“Every wide receiver’s dream is to play with a good quarterback," Hines said of junior quarterback Justin Herbert. "I’ve never been able to play with a quarterback of his caliber."

Has this quote from Tabari Hines been discussed?

Herbert is really good. He could be the top qb drafted this season.

I'd say the situation at Wake the last four years has been "every QB's dream is to play with good receivers. Until Dortch arrived, Wolford had never been able to play with a receiver of his caliber."

Back