• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Looks that way. Hartman’s tweet and the responses suggest that.

I disagree, Tiger. We should only do what our new QB does well. I'd rather have zero +20 throws and zero INTs. Let the seniors on the OL carry the burden. Use the TE as a safety valve, not a home run swing. My perfect QB line after Tulane game would be 8-10, 85 yards and 6 first downs. Move the chains, eat the clock. The 300+ rushing, and 10 point victory, goes without saying.

I'd much rather open up the offense earlier in the season than waiting until the 7th game like last year. Assuming now that Hartman is the starter, the dude threw for almost 10,000 yards and 98 TDs in HS in spread offenses. He can sling it.

I think this team has the chance to be special. I want to fire on all cylinders, not just play conservative and squeak out victories against inferior opponents. Fortunately, after the 2nd half of last season, I don't think Clawson/Rug will dial things back too much once the lights come on.

A friend at work recently had dinner with a senior member of the Wake FB staff (to be left unnamed), who told him they are very high on one of the young QB's and believe he has "it". Also said that Ruggiero is an outstanding QB coach.

Reading between the lines, sounds like they are favoring Hartman and that Hinton will likely only return to QB for specific plays or if the other two go down with injuries.

I also think it will be the two young guys at QB all season barring injuries.

Hinton as a dynamic playmaker, needs to see the field. Put him at a hybrid "scatback/wide receiver" position similar to the way the Eagles used Darren Sproles. Hinton would be a defense's nightmare in a HB run/pass option play.

I guess it's good that the coaches think that highly of Hartman, but honestly I was really hoping Newman would separate himself between the 2. Makes me nervous depending on a freshman under center for what could be a really good season.

The QB will be surrounded by quality experience at OL, WR, and RB. It’s a great situation for a young QB. Clawson values experience and he has no qualms handing the keys to Hartman.

It must kill the Hinton qb apologists to see him 3rd string.

It should kill Hinton that he is 3rd string. He had the position, was inheriting a very talented group on offense around him and he f'ed it up by getting suspended.

I think the thing that bothers me a little bit about the Newman situation is that you would hope that a player with his physical tools would be clearly ahead of a freshman after being in the program for 2 years.

Based on Clawson’s quotes, it’s more that Hartman won the spot, not that Newman and Hinton lost it. Seems like Newman is a good QB, but Hartman is special.

Our rookie QBs are preparing for Tulane, not ND. Let's have a small success and build on it. If the starter fails in New Orleans, he won't be the starter against Towson. If we're 0-2 heading into BC, forget about the tough stretch. Beat the Green Wave and build upon those achievements. Then again with Towson, and then open it up a bit vs BC. Pull all the tricks that the rookie can handle vs the Irish. Then back to basics against the Owls. 4-2 at the open week and we'll be on our way to a good season.

0-2 start. LOL. Ol man gon LOWF

I think the thing that bothers me a little bit about the Newman situation is that you would hope that a player with his physical tools would be clearly ahead of a freshman after being in the program for 2 years.

THIS. Newman has the physical tools and size, but still can't pull away from a true frosh. He has two years more in the system than Hartman, but still can't establish himself as the favorite. The fact that this is such a tight competition, coupled with Les's 2 deep and Dortch's tweet, lead me to believe that Hartman will be starting against Tulane. Newman will get some time, but all signs are pointing to Hartman taking the first snaps. Skinner, Price, Wolford....Hartman, the tale of the Frosh QB at Wake continues.

I can't say I am ecstatic about the idea. Maybe Hartman really is that good, but from the reports, he is not lighting the world on fire, just being as good as Newman.

If Hartman is already as good as Newman only 6 months into the program (early enroll), why not start him? He has experienced OL, so should not get killed (like Wolford his Frosh and Soph years) and have time to make good decisions. He has a host of talented weapons around him at both RB and WR - just get them the ball. It really comes down to 1) decision making with both the RPO and need to avoid turn overs and 2) throwing (and secondarily, running) ability - Ruggiero talked about him being confident and making throws others would not attempt. If truly even, go with the guy who has the biggest upside, knowing that both have limited College experience so will make some mistakes.

It's not conclusive, but our best player saying "that's my qb" carries a not insignificant amount of weight.

Based on Clawson’s quotes, it’s more that Hartman won the spot, not that Newman and Hinton lost it. Seems like Newman is a good QB, but Hartman is special.

This. ☝️And we are lucky to have Jamie Newman. We will likely need him sometime this season.

It should kill Hinton that he is 3rd string. He had the position, was inheriting a very talented group on offense around him and he f'ed it up by getting suspended.

I think hinton already lost the job in the spring. He completed less than 50% of his passes, and many were bad bounce passes. Cant much use a QB like that in his 4th year. The suspension just made the decision easier.

Back