• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Will Grier is a pretty good QB. Hartman was coached by his Dad. Hartman transferred to a small private high school in SC for his senior season to continue under his coaching (and won MVP on offense for SC in the Shrine Bowl game). Beside natural talent, the coaching he received in high school may account for any advantage Hartman has. Newman's high school team was weak.
LKN is the new western PA

Anyone else watch the one hour ESPN Alabama pre-season documentary? I don't give two shits about Alabama but.....

I did notice that our own Josh Gattis was a featured coach for Alabama. Apparently, just moved from PSU. Gattis is moving up quickly in the coaching ranks. Certainly loved him as a player!

Anyone else watch the one hour ESPN Alabama pre-season documentary? I don't give two shits about Alabama but.....

I did notice that our own Josh Gattis was a featured coach for Alabama. Apparently, just moved from PSU. Gattis is moving up quickly in the coaching ranks. Certainly loved him as a player!

Penn State and Alabama are pretty good resume builders for a football coach.
Good for Josh.

BC receiving votes in the first top 25 poll. Starting 3-0 would likely get us close if not into the top 25 for our matchup with ND.

If we have to have Bowers as our QB for any meaningful length of time, we are in big trouble. Les could speak to this better though since he watches practice every day, but I personally don't think he is in the same league as Hartman and Newman, at all

Doubtful. Other teams would likely rise to the top with better wins. BC plays UMass and Holy Cross. Tulane has Nicholls St after us. No room for either to make winning over them look better before Week 3. I do they we would be ranked if we beat ND.

BC receiving votes in the first top 25 poll. Starting 3-0 would likely get us close if not into the top 25 for our matchup with ND.

NC State got votes too.
We have a tough schedule this year.

ACC Atlantic is top to bottom the best division in the country this season once again IMO.

Name drop alert.

My kids went to school with Hartman and I’ve known him since he was a kid. His father Mark (an orthopedic surgeon) is also a long time friend. Yes, Sam was coached mostly by Chad Grier, and Chad is no doubt a good offensive mind. He’s also a real piece of work. But anyway, Sam is a good player but I just worry about his size. My gosh he is small. I see he is listed at 6’0” 185 lbs and if he is that truly then he has really gotten bigger lately. Sam’s dad is a tall and big dude so I hope Sam somehow fills out. Mark played linebacker at Davidson and was a good player. But I really am concerned that Sam is just going to get walloped if he plays as a fresh. I sure would think he needs more time to get bigger and stronger. Just imo

Name drop alert.

My kids went to school with Hartman and I’ve known him since he was a kid. His father Mark (an orthopedic surgeon) is also a long time friend. Yes, Sam was coached mostly by Chad Grier, and Chad is no doubt a good offensive mind. He’s also a real piece of work. But anyway, Sam is a good player but I just worry about his size. My gosh he is small. I see he is listed at 6’0” 185 lbs and if he is that truly then he has really gotten bigger lately. Sam’s dad is a tall and big dude so I hope Sam somehow fills out. Mark played linebacker at Davidson and was a good player. But I really am concerned that Sam is just going to get walloped if he plays as a fresh. I sure would think he needs more time to get bigger and stronger. Just imo

Thanks for the personal inside info, always helps

Name drop alert.

"Beef Boys" gonna need to do good work to keep Sam's jersey clean. Also any RPO reads need to come up either RB run or pass. Not QB run. Sam needs to stay healthy.

Name drop alert.

My kids went to school with Hartman and I’ve known him since he was a kid. His father Mark (an orthopedic surgeon) is also a long time friend. Yes, Sam was coached mostly by Chad Grier, and Chad is no doubt a good offensive mind. He’s also a real piece of work. But anyway, Sam is a good player but I just worry about his size. My gosh he is small. I see he is listed at 6’0” 185 lbs and if he is that truly then he has really gotten bigger lately. Sam’s dad is a tall and big dude so I hope Sam somehow fills out. Mark played linebacker at Davidson and was a good player. But I really am concerned that Sam is just going to get walloped if he https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...et=pcb.10207308213887123&type=3&theater#plays as a fresh. I sure would think he needs more time to get bigger and stronger. Just imo

Size is one of the reasons I was really hoping Newman would come out of this as the #1. Seems like we are stuck with in the mode of having smaller QB's and it would be nice to have a guy of Newman's size behind center. Of course, it looks like Newman's injury is making it an easy decision for Hartman to start.

Cool let Hartman start against Tulane, we are probably going to run most of the game. Let him start against Towson too, that is a level of competition he would be comfortable against, and we can work work in some of the other freshmen, but, and here is my point, make sure Newman is ready to play against BC. BC's rush is one of the best that we will face, and when it comes to pressure and taking hits, I want Newman available to come in and help us out. Think of it this way, some of those shoulder tackles and pull downs that will bring Hartman down in the backfield, wont be the same against Newman.

I don't mind the staff messing around and seeing Hartman start the first two games and Newman work, I am comfortable with that, but knowing who will be the starter against BC is the most important thing to start the season.

Hartman has talent which is the key ingredient to success.

From many previous posts it has appeared that both Hartman and Newman have talent. Aggregate stats from the scrimmages would support that.

Newman's injury may be the deciding factor.

Knowing that 1.) the RPO does tend to lead to a fair # of QB runs and 2.) we have a history of QBs going down at some point in the season and 3.) Clawson has made the statement neither QB seems to be able to focus over sustained periods I have little doubt that both QBs will get their opportunities over first 2 games if Newman is healthy and able. Hartman may start, but would be shock if he played more than the first 2-3 series before Newman gets the nod unless he leads the team to TD drives on every series. Even then at some point if a blow out Newman will be get some snaps, as we have shown that having 2 adequate and ready QBS is a must especially when heading into the gauntlet of the ACC schedule.

Name drop alert.

Someone posted on the other board that he saw Sam at FanFest and felt Sam was 6'2". FWIW

Why would we develop an offense that works, return almost all the starters that made it work, then change it?

I mean the answer to your question, would obviously be that we have a young, unproven QB who has never run the RPO in game situations, compared with a 4th year starting QB from the previous year.

And yes, I actually do think we'll dial it back a bit from last year. Still expect it to be a the main cornerstone of the offense, however, as it should be.

Back