• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Sure and my response would be that Hartman earned the job and will keep the job based on his ability to run the RPO.

I mean the answer to your question, would obviously be that we have a young, unproven QB who has never run the RPO in game situations, compared with a 4th year starting QB from the previous year.

And yes, I actually do think we'll dial it back a bit from last year. Still expect it to be a the main cornerstone of the offense, however, as it should be.

my intuition, likewise, is that we see a good bit less RPO, especially early in the season

I was mostly asking if there was any evidence in practice, scrimmage, interviews that supported that intuition from those who follow more closely

my intuition, likewise, is that we see a good bit less RPO, especially early in the season

I was mostly asking if there was any evidence in practice, scrimmage, interviews that supported that intuition from those who follow more closely

Who wants to know?

Clawson made pretty clear that both QBs, assuming health, will play because he does not expect either Hartman or Newman to be able to maintain their focus for 80 snaps.

He also has said that if Newman had had the drive and focus he has shown since Hartman arrived on campus, he'd be ahead of Sam. And that described by Clawson as not so much a dis but that the competition has brought out the best in both. Newman was very clearly the #3 QB last year and the message seemed to be he was comfortable in that role. When #2 then #1 presented itself and he wanted it badly, he either increased his intensity or increased it to keep pace with Sam.

Either way, unless Newman cannot get healthy, I cannot imagine a game 1 scenario where he doesn't get at least 1 or 2 series per half based on what Clawson has said.

As we saw with Skinner, separation occurred when the fans were in the stands and the game mattered. For whatever reason, the game slowed down for him and he became the guy. Both Newman and Hartman, and probably then Hinton will get the chance to do the same. They all have to prove it on gameday.

There is a reason the over/under on the Tulane game has dropped from an opener of 61 to its current 56.

There is a reason the over/under on the Tulane game has dropped from an opener of 61 to its current 56.

When did that drop happen? Was it all of a sudden or steadily over the last month?

Is Hartman as fast as Wolford? Johnny was sneaky quick with the loaf of bread carrying style, to boot.

Sure and my response would be that Hartman earned the job and will keep the job based on his ability to run the RPO.

Yep, if Hartman wins the position we don’t need him to run a lot - just enough to keep outside linebackers honest. Reports from camp are that he has been making great decisions in reading the RPO’s.

Yep, if Hartman wins the position we don’t need him to run a lot - just enough to keep outside linebackers honest. Reports from camp are that he has been making great decisions in reading the RPO’s.

If I'm the Tulane DC, i try to make Hartman beat me with his feet. Try to make him keep, no hand off to Wakes pretty good corps of running backs. Especially don't let him throw to Dortch, Washington, Bachman et al.

If I'm the Tulane DC, i try to make Hartman beat me with his feet. Try to make him keep, no hand off to Wakes pretty good corps of running backs. Especially don't let him throw to Dortch, Washington, Bachman et al.

So the defense should stop the run and the pass and force the QB to scramble. Sounds like a good plan.

I suggest playing 17 defenders

I'm hoping Clawson is already on the second wave of the RPO offense. Defense is catching up with this relatively new concept in football. Everything new comes out of the college ranks. Pros now run first generation RPO. Colleges are already moving to the next phase. This is fun to watch in college football. Reminds me of Mackovic. First coach in the ACC that threw the football all over the field all the time. I think Clawson is all over the wave. We have the right coach at the right time. One smart dude.

I'm hoping Clawson is already on the second wave of the RPO offense. Defense is catching up with this relatively new concept in football. Everything new comes out of the college ranks. Pros now run first generation RPO. Colleges are already moving to the next phase. This is fun to watch in college football. Reminds me of Mackovic. First coach in the ACC that threw the football all over the field all the time. I think Clawson is all over the wave. We have the right coach at the right time. One smart dude.

This. I'm curious to see how defenses evolve to stop the RPO. I assume it will involve DE stunts or changing how LBs read QBs. How knows? Hope Sawvel is ahead of the curve as well.

Back