• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Just to add to what I said and know about Hartman. Sam is a GREAT kid. He’s a natural leader. He comes from a great family and his dad doesn’t put up with any crap. So Sam came up the right way. Sam acts like he’s 35. He’s also a hard worker, so I think he can overcome his size issue. He will likely get the most out of what he has. He’s got a pretty good arm though not great, but he’s very smart and heady on the field. He’s the type of kid that will win you games somehow someway. Absolute winner of a kid. And he has had terrific coaching in terms of offense and playing QB at the high school level. His stats are somewhat inflated though because of lack of competition and Chad Grier as an offensive mind is leaps and bounds above any high school coach he would face.

Is Hartman as fast as Wolford? Johnny was sneaky quick with the loaf of bread carrying style, to boot.

Their running styles are similar, which is to say both can scurry past defenders but don't have the open-field elusiveness of, say, Kendall Hinton. Clawson was sure to kill a comparison I tried to make between Sam and John about a week and a half ago, though. He holds Wolford in high esteem, and I doubt that ever changes. Made it very clear that "you never try to make those comparisons and analogies. I mean, you're making me wish we didn't him the No. 10."

But, the answered ended with: "Now, in terms of the smarts and the savvy and the competitiveness, a lot of those traits are there. Which is very encouraging."

Just remember that Wolford kicked butt as a senior, but struggled (to put it mildly) as a true freshman, despite coming from a prolific high-level HS offense. While a lot of Wolford's success had to do with the development of all of the players around him, including some elite weapons and a stout OL, another reason for his late success had to do with the fact that QBs improve with experience and age. There are just not that many QBs that excel as true frosh. There is such a vast difference between HS and D-1 college football that it takes time and games to adjust. Even if Wolford to Hartman comparisons are apt, remember that Hartman is a true frosh that was playing against Garrett Academy Tech and Baptist Hill last year.

I'm hoping Clawson is already on the second wave of the RPO offense. Defense is catching up with this relatively new concept in football. Everything new comes out of the college ranks. Pros now run first generation RPO. Colleges are already moving to the next phase. This is fun to watch in college football. Reminds me of Mackovic. First coach in the ACC that threw the football all over the field all the time. I think Clawson is all over the wave. We have the right coach at the right time. One smart dude.

This also sounds very similar to the Grobe no-huddle approach in '01. It was a fairly new, and gimmicky concept in college that quickly gained steam. Soon it was all over the landscape and later made its way to the pros.

This. I'm curious to see how defenses evolve to stop the RPO. I assume it will involve DE stunts or changing how LBs read QBs. How knows? Hope Sawvel is ahead of the curve as well.

Back in the day the wishbone triple option running attack was in vogue. Lots of teams ran it. Only a few (e. g. GaTech and Navy) run it today. Why? Defenses started playing five man fronts with massive nose tackles. NT job was to occupy two blockers (center and the guard on whichever side the play went to) and stop the fullback dive part of the triple option. That left the defense with a DT, DE and linebacker, while the O had only the tackle and TE as blockers. D could either force the play wide and run it out of bounds or turn it back inside.

That led to lots of really big slow guys being recruited as nose tackles. End of triple option as an effective offensive system. It was one dimensional. Very run heavy.

It would seem that the RPO places so much stress on making the proper reads and quick decision-making that a freshman QB would be at a distinct disadvantage. John ran it almost to perfection last season; but, of course, he was a senior.

A good OL, RB, and WR make all decisions that much better.

Man I wish We were in a position to redshirt wolford when he was s freshmen. Having him as a 5thyear senior with this talent would be scary good

Really glad that the 3rd string kid back in 2006 could pick up schemes and the speed of the game didn't overwhelm him.

By the way, one of the Mods should rename the thread WFU Football 2018 Season Discussion.....

Just remember that Wolford kicked butt as a senior, but struggled (to put it mildly) as a true freshman, despite coming from a prolific high-level HS offense. While a lot of Wolford's success had to do with the development of all of the players around him, including some elite weapons and a stout OL, another reason for his late success had to do with the fact that QBs improve with experience and age. There are just not that many QBs that excel as true frosh. There is such a vast difference between HS and D-1 college football that it takes time and games to adjust. Even if Wolford to Hartman comparisons are apt, remember that Hartman is a true frosh that was playing against Garrett Academy Tech and Baptist Hill last year.

Wofford has no chance to be successful as a freshman or even sophomore behind our O-line.

Looks like Conor is "Confirming" (prophesying? alluding?) that Hartman will start, due in part to Newman's injury. I expect a run heavy game plan against Tulane. I also expect to see Newman play several series. I believe that Sciba will kick also.

Who had the best frosh campaign, Skinner, Price or Wolford? I vote for Skinner.

Sam's the Man and he's all Hart.

Looks like Conor is "Confirming" (prophesying? alluding?) that Hartman will start, due in part to Newman's injury. I expect a run heavy game plan against Tulane. I also expect to see Newman play several series. I believe that Sciba will kick also.

Who had the best frosh campaign, Skinner, Price or Wolford? I vote for Skinner.

Sam's the Man and he's all Hart.

Ummm. I don’t think this is a question. It’s like asking who had the best career of the ATT class. ACC championship and rookie of he year? It’s not close.

THIS ^^^ !!!

I have known both Jamie and Sam for years - Jamie since 11th grade and Sam since 8th grade. They both have their strengths and both have their question marks, but I trust Clawson and Ruggiero. Remember, they choose to move Hinton to WR for a reason.

The point I want to make is similar to Pilchard. Assuming they stay healthy, both Sam and Jamie will probably lite it up vs Tulane and Towson. But when BC, ND, Clemson, FSU, etc games come, they will likely struggle like almost any young QB would. As fans, I know we are excited about the season because we have weapons at receiver and RB and a strong OL, but lets not put the entire future of the program on the backs of 2 young QBs who will likely struggle at some point during the season. Remember, it is not their fault our groomed successor at the QB position hasn't worked out (for whatever reason) and is now taking WR reps. Like Wolford, give them time to develop.

Last edited:
I don't know enough to proclaim which QB I would prefer to start; however, I am glad that one will have the whole prep week before the game knowing that they are the starter. Best case scenario is that Hartman gets to prep for the week as the starter and Newman gets to 100% and preps as if he will play meaningful minutes as well.

This is the most impressive thing that I have read regarding Hartman, taken from an article by Conor:

“He’s comfortable back there in the pocket, I’ve never seen anything like it. He’s able to anticipate throws that, at his age, I haven’t seen from any quarterback that’s ever come in here,” senior receiver Alex Bachman said. “… Geez, the kid just comes in, he’s able to play well beyond his years, for sure.”

Fascinating time for Wake Football. Fans are CONFIDENTLY awaiting a player to assume the QB mantle. Don’t get too deflated if poor QB play is assigned the fault for a loss.

But at least Wake is not worried about an entire season because no player is clearly favored to assume the mantle of starting QB. Good times ahead hopefully.

Hartman and Newman have both performed well this spring. They have both had their share of interceptions. Interceptions have a different character when they occur against another team rather than your own defense. So do fumbles, sacks and bad decisions. Hope I'm wrong, but I won't be surprised to see Hinton taking snaps sooner rather than later. Tempered enthusiasm.

This is the most impressive thing that I have read regarding Hartman, taken from an article by Conor:

“He’s comfortable back there in the pocket, I’ve never seen anything like it. He’s able to anticipate throws that, at his age, I haven’t seen from any quarterback that’s ever come in here,” senior receiver Alex Bachman said. “… Geez, the kid just comes in, he’s able to play well beyond his years, for sure.”

Wow...That's a really strong statement. Dortch and now Bachman going out of their way to praise Hartman.

Hartman and Newman have both performed well this spring. They have both had their share of interceptions. Interceptions have a different character when they occur against another team rather than your own defense. So do fumbles, sacks and bad decisions. Hope I'm wrong, but I won't be surprised to see Hinton taking snaps sooner rather than later. Tempered enthusiasm.
In Claw we trust. He'll make it work. I hope that the QB play will be the least of our concerns.

Back