• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

I'd much rather open up the offense earlier in the season than waiting until the 7th game like last year. Assuming now that Hartman is the starter, the dude threw for almost 10,000 yards and 98 TDs in HS in spread offenses. He can sling it.

I think this team has the chance to be special. I want to fire on all cylinders, not just play conservative and squeak out victories against inferior opponents. Fortunately, after the 2nd half of last season, I don't think Clawson/Rug will dial things back too much once the lights come on.

Tiger, I hope you're right. If we are going to open it up, let's hold off until BC come to town.

Tiger, I hope you're right. If we are going to open it up, let's hold off until BC come to town.

Outside of specific packages for Hinton or trick plays, we don't have anything to hide. Our offense is what it is. We have a different name at quarterback, but it is still the RPO. We might run the QB a little less with Hartman than Wolford or Hinton, but the concept is still the same.

I think Clawson is going to work the QBs in slowly regardless. Even better than we get two games before we play a tough conference game.

The faster tempo might help a young QB. Defenses don't have time to switch and disguise things between plays. I say put your foot on the floor and go play football, but that's why Clawson makes the big bucks.

It's not conclusive, but our best player saying "that's my qb" carries a not insignificant amount of weight.

shrug

I feel like if Newman had tweeted photos that Dortch would have re-tweeted them as well

whatever, we'll find out soon enough

Will Grier is a pretty good QB. Hartman was coached by his Dad. Hartman transferred to a small private high school in SC for his senior season to continue under his coaching (and won MVP on offense for SC in the Shrine Bowl game). Beside natural talent, the coaching he received in high school may account for any advantage Hartman has. Newman's high school team was weak.

Solid point. There's a reason Grier is getting preseason Heisman hype. Interested to see how he does in against Tennessee live in Charlotte.

Prevention

Prevention

Wearing protective padding over the thigh.
Participating in a strengthening, flexibility and conditioning program appropriate for the sport being undertaken.
Undertaking training prior to competition to ensure readiness to play.
Gradually increasing the intensity and duration of training.
Allowing adequate recovery time between workouts or training sessions.
Checking the sporting environment for hazards.
Drinking water before, during and after play.
Avoiding activities that cause pain. If pain does occur, discontinuing the activity immediately and commencing RICER.

Prevention

Wearing protective padding over the thigh.
Participating in a strengthening, flexibility and conditioning program appropriate for the sport being undertaken.
Undertaking training prior to competition to ensure readiness to play.
Gradually increasing the intensity and duration of training.
Allowing adequate recovery time between workouts or training sessions.
Checking the sporting environment for hazards.
Drinking water before, during and after play.
Avoiding activities that cause pain. If pain does occur, discontinuing the activity immediately and commencing RICER.

Well, this probably tips the scales in Hartman's favor....it's time to name a starter.

Looks like the inopportune timing of Newman's minor quad contusion might play decisively into the QB selection. Only two more general Fall practices and then Tulane specific practice starts. Newman maybe not back until end of week. Clawson saying very tight, close competition. I felt Newman's seniority and good showing Saturday would prove decisive but this injury might necessitate Hartman getting the nod by default.

Last edited:
Tayvon Bowers is quietly moving up the depth chart by process of elimination.

MV5BN2QxZTZlY2MtNWRmZS00M2Q1LWExYjAtOWZjMzM3ZDI1YjViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjcyODE2MTE@._V1_.jpg

Just saying...

Back