• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Different players develop at different rates. We expected a freshman to contribute at DE this year. Does it really matter who? It's Tyler Williams and tFR Bothroyd instead.

Different players develop at different rates. We expected a freshman to contribute at DE this year. Does it really matter who? It's Tyler Williams and tFR Bothroyd instead.

Williams must be interesting. Would think a 6'1" 300lb. kid wouldn't be mobile/tall enough to play DE....he must have very good foot work/lateral ability.

Williams must be interesting. Would think a 6'1" 300lb. kid wouldn't be mobile/tall enough to play DE....he must have very good foot work/lateral ability.

Exceptionally quick for a guy his size.

Shorter guys have excelled - in conference we have 2 alums (Louisville and Syracuse) with Elvis Dumervil and Dwight Freeney

Yeah, Les also recently said he didn't really expect much from him this year, though. Would indeed be disappointing.

We don’t yet know what the season holds. For now he’s nicked up. Let the season unfold and we’ll see when he is able to contribute

The DEs are going to have their hands full against Tulane. All the guys on the two deep should see significant snaps to stay fresh chasing this Tulane ground offense. Whatever name they want to call it.

Notice how contending for championships is simply the next step, not the goal.

Notice how contending for championships is simply the next step, not the goal.

I think you are playing semantics again PH. Contending for championships essentially means that 4 or 5 games into a conference season, you are in position to potentially win the division, if you beat ____________ (Clemson and/or FSU in the next game).

I think the Spurs figured out and now many organizations have followed that the journey towards a championship is more fun and just as important as actually winning it. Of course, the catch-22 is you have to win one every now and then, or get real real close, to sustain the program/system and to re-invigorate for a few seasons to follow.

This has been the problems with our hoops team - it is hard to get collective buy in when in game 3 you lose to ___________ (Stetson, Kennesaw Community College, etc..). Everyone knows at that point that the season is going to be simply about survival. I am sure it is way easier to get up at 5:30AM for a team workout or stay late for film and miss the Golden Girls re-runs when you know that 10 wins is a real possibility in football, 20 wins in hoops.

What on earth is your point, jaybone? I'm saying Clawson is trying to build a championship team at Wake. What are you trying to say?

I thought you were playing one of your semantic games you are infamous for -- to me anyway. If you are telling me I am mistaken, then apologies. I thought you meant that Claw is not yet ready to challenge for division championships.

I thought you were playing one of your semantic games you are infamous for -- to me anyway. If you are telling me I am mistaken, then apologies. I thought you meant that Claw is not yet ready to challenge for division championships.

How the hell did you get that out of what I said? If you torture words into "semantic games" you can see whatever you want to see.

He's ready and we're getting closer all the time.
It's happening.

He's ready and we're getting closer all the time.
It's happening.

Exactly. Honestly, if it wasn't for Clemson, I'd give us a good chance this year.

JB, He's NEVER wrong. He'll tell you that. He told he was NEVER wrong in thousands of posts towards RJ.

Plus he'll take BOTH sides.

Think about another issue demonstrated to PERFECTION yet again today . He erroneously statements over and over. Each time his post was proven WRONG by the post allegedly was referring to, he said the original post was wrong. HUH?

Equal to these is he calls offensive fouls in pick-up games. SAD!

What on earth is your point, jaybone? I'm saying Clawson is trying to build a championship team at Wake. What are you trying to say?

I see clearly what you are saying.From my perspective WF Football has been on a trajectory to regularly “contend for championships” since Jim Caldwell and his staff. Jim Caldwell instituted a “football mentality”. He restored football toughness and one of the things that drew me to Wake as a fan was how hard the Deacs play and how hard the players hit.

So the evolutionary or “long view” shows a distinct pattern. One Regime sets the foundation. The next (Grobe) sees a steady growth which leads a coach in his twighlight to become the winningest in its history. And now,in proper succession,comes a younger man who combines the best of the previous 2 coaches and additionally is well versed in the knowledge of what type of University Wake is and what it takes to succeed there. Clawson is the evolution of the deal. He has all the attributes - he is part football historian,policy wonk,gameday charismatic,baby-kisser on the dog and pony circuit and above all,he is both a consummate CEO and an accountable friend toward his players,staff and admin.

Wake Forest is lucky and blessed to have him

How the hell did you get that out of what I said? If you torture words into "semantic games" you can see whatever you want to see.

because you do it ad nauseum? Sometimes, dog kickers are just pulling their foot back to kick a can. Dog still jumps.

Back