• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Sounds like he committed. Definitely a redshirt guy. 6-7 but only weighs 255. Tall, long armed athletic offensive tackle.

I can't imagine any incoming offensive lineman not redshirting at this point, but I guess it's possible. Chatted with Elmonus last night, and left the article free if anyone was interested.

Hope it's ok for me to drop that in here. Have a great day folks!

Sounds like he may be similar to Jake Benzinger. Not highly recruited but with the athleticism and frame to add weight.

He is young, has the frame, and intangibles. Be sure the state schools will return this fall with offers. Be sure.

I can't imagine any incoming offensive lineman not redshirting at this point, but I guess it's possible. Chatted with Elmonus last night, and left the article free if anyone was interested.

Hope it's ok for me to drop that in here. Have a great day folks!

Thanks Les.
At 6' 7", I could easily see him at 300 lbs by the time he's ready to play. Remember, he's only a junior in HS.
He mentioned his 'touchdown dance'. I could see him as a tackle eligible TE on goal line plays.
We did this in HS with a tackle that was 6' 8". Didn't use the play often, but it worked almost every time.

Sounds like he may be similar to Jake Benzinger. Not highly recruited but with the athleticism and frame to add weight.

This. We generally make or break OL recruiting how they project 2-3 years down the line when they mature. In the trenches, the ready to play guys for us are more out of necessity or desperation.

This. We generally make or break OL recruiting how they project 2-3 years down the line when they mature. In the trenches, the ready to play guys for us are more out of necessity or desperation.

Should be more like 3-4 or even 5 years until they get significant playing time. It is 2 years and 5 months until the beginning of what should be his redshirt freshman year. If Wake O-line recruiting and development in the previous few years has been what it should be, he should still be in pretty much of a reserve role for that year and maybe even the next. Then needs to be a major contributor for the next two-redshirt jr and fifth year senior years. Ideally.

Wake doesn't (hasn't been able to) get ready to play as freshmen linemen. The current guys played as freshman and were killed because they just weren't strong enough or big enough. As juniors they were. They should be good again as fifth year seniors.

Should be more like 3-4 or even 5 years until they get significant playing time. It is 2 years and 5 months until the beginning of what should be his redshirt freshman year. If Wake O-line recruiting and development in the previous few years has been what it should be, he should still be in pretty much of a reserve role for that year and maybe even the next. Then needs to be a major contributor for the next two-redshirt jr and fifth year senior years. Ideally.

Wake doesn't (hasn't been able to) get ready to play as freshmen linemen. The current guys played as freshman and were killed because they just weren't strong enough or big enough. As juniors they were. They should be good again as fifth year seniors.

Not many people get ready to play freshmen on the O Line. Here's a story about 5 star (not 3 or 4 star) offensive linemen in the SEC and how they fared over a 10 year period-many of the 5 star guys redshirted and some moved to defense: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/how-five-star-offensive-linemen-panned-out-in-last-decade/

Not many people get ready to play freshmen on the O Line. Here's a story about 5 star (not 3 or 4 star) offensive linemen in the SEC and how they fared over a 10 year period-many of the 5 star guys redshirted and some moved to defense: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...-offensive-linemen-panned-out-in-last-decade/

That is a relatively old article. Two more seasons of football have been played since it was written before the 2016 season. The TBD's should be well on their way to being determined.

In march, before his senior year and without all-state, all-district accolades, it's not unusual for a player to be over looked. If he would have gone through the camp circuit this summer and had a successful senior campaign, he might become out of reach for LOWF. When he gets here, he'll have a bunch of good OLs ahead of him. He'll be fine by 2021. Welcome CJ!

I see what you did there Les...

"The 6-foot-7, 255 pound tackle was also being recruited by Wofford, Coastal Carolina, Tennessee, North Carolina State, Virginia Tech and Duke.

The Wake coaching staff helped set the Deacs apart from the pack."

I see what you did there Les...

"The 6-foot-7, 255 pound tackle was also being recruited by Wofford, Coastal Carolina, Tennessee, North Carolina State, Virginia Tech and Duke.

The Wake coaching staff helped set the Deacs apart from the pack."

Ironically enough, as I wrapped that sentence I realized the potential double meaning. Figured it was perfectly applicable, so I let it stay. Glad someone noticed!

Last edited:
I like the hustle of the JUCO kid who responded to the tweet. Bold move.

Did some poking around twitter and saw we offered a 2021 WR from Kernersville.

I saw that too. Some other kid did it to Clawson I believe not long ago but he’s a 4 Star receiver from NC. Maybe Dudley?

I like the hustle of the JUCO kid who responded to the tweet. Bold move.

Did some poking around twitter and saw we offered a 2021 WR from Kernersville.

Maybe this JuCo doesn't know about Wake's policy toward JuCo credits, that is Wake doesn't accept many JuCo credits. Makes it almost impossible for JuCo guys to be academically eligible. Theoretical juniors with virtually no credits to their name just don't work.

Seems like a good pick up that could develop. I wish we could get a four star in this class. Something to be hype about until he gets on campus

Not a lot of good offers but could be a developmental type that Cohen can work with. Welcome Malachi

Back