• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Three things we really need to see from Hinton:
1. More patience in the pocket.
2. Better vision & timing with the intermediate routes
3. Throwing the ball away instead of scrambling into a big loss.

When he has been on the field, he gives up on the routes too quickly and scrambles for a short gain. It can be hard to tell how many of those were designed runs, but either way it was often a bad play.

Wolford had a really poor line blocking for him his first 2.5 years. They starting meshing a bit towards the end of his Jr. year. Last year, they were lights out for him.

Hinton is going to have the luxury of having a really, really good line, proven receivers AND a strong backfield with Colburn leading the way. Not sure what we'll get out of TE play but Wolford was lucky to have Cam to sling it to while he was here.

Beville out of Greenville, SC is heading to Pitt this coming weekend, so I'm sure the coaching staff will at least wait till after that if they are going to offer. Another option would be Austin Kirksey out of Marietta, GA (Wake Recruiting follows him on twitter), there seems to be at least some interest. I thought his tapes looked good, made some nice throws and moved in the pocket, though he has a tendency to stare down his first option.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vJeHGp_Zmc&feature=youtu.be

Another QB whose tape I liked was Jordan Yates from Alpharetta, GA. https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5400650/59a6138cc11b2608ecbf6961. The kid has a quick release and moves well. I don't see anything where Wake has shown interest, but he has interest from G-Tech and Cornell, so grades probably wouldn't be an issue.

I understand the thinking that a QB is not the biggest need in this recruiting class, but having a QB in a recruiting class is like a front porch on a house, its not always necessary, but it sure looks nicer when one is there. I am interested to see if the staff will wait till after Clark's commitment before they offer others or if they are already on the move.

According to the Twitt-game, we got a commitment in ATH Taylor Morin from VA.

I bet the Clark decommit has an impact on the odds of Hartman red shirting. Before it may have been 50/50 with Clark right behind him, but I bet it is almost a guarantee that he red shirts now.

According to the Twitt-game, we got a commitment in ATH Taylor Morin from VA.

His tape is pretty good. Plays lots of positions - slot, DB, returns - and was 1st team all-state in Virginia.
Looks like decent speed as well. He performed well at camp last week and was offered.

I bet the Clark decommit has an impact on the odds of Hartman red shirting. Before it may have been 50/50 with Clark right behind him, but I bet it is almost a guarantee that he red shirts now.

Depends on how the upperclassmen develop. You play your best. I do agree they would like to red shirt him and you want your upperclassmen to perform that well. Fall camp should be very competitive at QB.

I don't think anything about Clark being here or not will affect whether Hartman plays. He wouldn't play in any event if it were just "to get his feet wet". But if we need him, he'd play no matter what. One thing about Clark... he might've been more on board with us had we been in a "need him to play" mode rather than just sit on the bench mode. Immediate PT is what can draw these higher level QBs who otherwise would just sit on Bama's or Clemson's bench. So once our need isn't to keep our QBs well-stocked, but can offer immediate contribution with no RS, we'll have a better draw. Even major programs endure this kind of thing.

The new rule on redshirting that allows play in up to four games may have some impact on recruiting. Guys could play a few games to get their feet wet and still redshirt. Could also impact the early career transfer situation
If the coach doesn't see what he hopes in a few games, transferring may be "encouraged ."

Well as of today, we could play Hartman three games next year and he can still take a redshirt.

Watch his hudl tape. He reminds me of Campanaro and Javion!

I was going to say he reminded me of Camp in my comment above, but thought you guys would think I'm stretching.
Glad you thought the same thing. Would love to have Camp II.

Appreciate it. Happy to be here. My last post sent me down the WF Football Recruiting twitter rabbit hole and I wanted to add a couple more QB's that Wake is following. This isn't all of them, just some that have other FBS offers.

Deametric Crenshaw- Pickerington, OH
Johnathan Bennett- Summerville, SC (Liberty Commit) I wasn't a fan of his tape, mechanics looked sloppy and too quick to look to run
Curt Casteel- Fort Lauderdale, FL
Cornelious Brown- Calera, AL
Zach Gibson- Alpharetta, GA
Justin Fomby- Lawrenceville, GA
Michael Kern- Orlando, FL (Toledo Commit) makes good throws in a messy pocket and when he runs, he reminds me of Wolford
Garrison Hand- Carollton, GA
Jack Baltz- Frankfurt, IL, no other FBS offers, but this was a recent follow

The twitter account seems to be following a lot more QB's for 2020 than it is for 2019, so take this all with a grain of salt.

I was going to say he reminded me of Camp in my comment above, but thought you guys would think I'm stretching.
Glad you thought the same thing. Would love to have Camp II.

That tape is impressive: He plays all over the field....

I don't think anything about Clark being here or not will affect whether Hartman plays. He wouldn't play in any event if it were just "to get his feet wet". But if we need him, he'd play no matter what. One thing about Clark... he might've been more on board with us had we been in a "need him to play" mode rather than just sit on the bench mode. Immediate PT is what can draw these higher level QBs who otherwise would just sit on Bama's or Clemson's bench. So once our need isn't to keep our QBs well-stocked, but can offer immediate contribution with no RS, we'll have a better draw. Even major programs endure this kind of thing.

Clark may find out that no matter what smoke some of the bigger programs blow at him, that at a place like Clemson, the players he would have to beat out is deeper than WFU. He would have a much better chance of playing sooner here than any of the other places he is looking at. Maybe the light will come on for him, but the train may have left the station when it does. I do not see Clawson as sitting around moaning about a kid who decommits--on to the next kid who wants to join us and play sooner than later.

Apologies if this has already made it onto this thread - too busy to go back and look.

Re Clark and Clemson. I read in today's paper that Hunter Johnson is leaving Clemson and headed for Northwestern. Who is Johnson? He was (nationally, 247 Sports) the #2 pro-style QB and the #30 overall signee in 2017. One year later he's gone.

Wonder if we will be reading something similar about Clark in 2020?

Back