• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Wolford threw for 3000 yards, 30tds, rushed for 700 and 10tds. and we won 8 games. So I think its fair to ask if we still need great quarterback play just to be a good team.

After a good start, the defense collapsed in the 2nd half of the year. Lots of explanations (injuries, change in coordinators, offense scored so quickly that defense was on the field a lot), but think that it's fair to assume that the WF defense will be better in 2018. Also, think that with a veteran OL, and the RBs returning (and an elite running QB) that the running game will be better. Don't think Hinton needs to throw 30 TDs and 3000 yards for WF to have similar success as last season.

I agree Pilch. We know last year was a major transition year for the D. I'm excited to see what they've come up with. Wolford had almost half of the rushing TDs last year. Hinton is more than capable of doing that but I doubt he'll need to do so.

By the way, Wolford was #10 in the country last year in passing efficiency at 158.0. Hinton's passing efficiency was 156.8 despite playing the whole game vs. Clemson.

I agree Pilch. We know last year was a major transition year for the D. I'm excited to see what they've come up with. Wolford had almost half of the rushing TDs last year. Hinton is more than capable of doing that but I doubt he'll need to do so.

By the way, Wolford was #10 in the country last year in passing efficiency at 158.0. Hinton's passing efficiency was 156.8 despite playing the whole game vs. Clemson.

Agree with Pilch and agree that Hinton will be good. I am concerned about some of his passing game but our running attack is going to be absolutely filthy this year. It’ll be fun to watch.

Didn’t Clemson put in their backups and third string in the third and fourth quarter when we started to score?

Clemson is still in a league of their own. I don’t think we should lump FSU and Clemson together. FSU has a lot to prove with the new coach, and while they have reason to be confident, there are still some question marks.

Agreed. FSU is and has been vulnerable except for their recent championship season.

Remember Dortch was out a significant part of he season. Watch out if he stays healthy

Remember Dortch was out a significant part of he season. Watch out if he stays healthy
Dortch was playing so well that he stood out on offense even when he didnt get the ball. As a Wake football fan, it was an unusual experience knowing that we had a playmaker that could absolutely take over the game. If he can get back to that, it would be amazing.

Dortch was playing so well that he stood out on offense even when he didnt get the ball. As a Wake football fan, it was an unusual experience knowing that we had a playmaker that could absolutely take over the game. If he can get back to that, it would be amazing.

Dortch made all the other receivers better. Opponents had to commit significant resources to stopping him - or let him torch them. Thus, there was reduced coverage for the other guys.

If Scotty Washington continues to play as well as he did last season, it will make for some difficult decisions for opposing defensive coordinators.

Was it more the system unleashed or was it more Wolford's star exploding. Could be we don't give the system enough credit. Could be we plug in Hinton and just roll on.

Was it more the system unleashed or was it more Wolford's star exploding. Could be we don't give the system enough credit. Could be we plug in Hinton and just roll on.

I think we will look back and realize that Wolford was even better than we give him credit for being. The system can't make the reads in real time or deliver accurate passes. It is a good system to be sure; but Wolfold made it work.

IMHO it was a synergy of things: the offensive line guys finally being mature enough to provide significant pass blocking protection for Wolford; Wolford having time and being really good at making reads; both pre-snap and during the play; Dortch as a major difference maker in the passing game; Cam having a career year and the system finally getting unleashed because the first two things in this list happened.

IMHO it was a synergy of things: the offensive line guys finally being mature enough to provide significant pass blocking protection for Wolford; Wolford having time and being really good at making reads; both pre-snap and during the play; Dortch as a major difference maker in the passing game; Cam having a career year and the system finally getting unleashed because the first two things in this list happened.

I agree. Hope Hinton makes major progress and stays healthy

Wolford’s strength was making his reads & passing very accurarately. Given time he was going to pick defenses apart. When our offensive line was less effective, a running QB like Hinton was going to fare better. His ability to run slowed down the pass rush. We will be defended differently with Hinton. He will be forced to make the throws. I predict he connects on some long throws when defenses over commit to the run, but struggles with the short & intermediate throws. If we can line up and run it on almost everybody, then it will not matter as much.

The thing I worry about is that our fast paced offense can perform a "3 and out" in under two minutes, exhausting our defense. Hilton will do fine. That's why I would really like another DL instead of a 4th team QB to help us out. Depth of kickers/punters could be a problem too.

Wolford was also helped out by guys cacthing the ball better. The emergence of Dortch, Washington finally becoming a size mismatch, Hines stepping up when Dortch went out, Serigne getting healthy and showing back up, etc. In the past seasons and even the beginning of last season, it seemed like the offense was always shooting itself in the foot. A holding penalty that wipes out a first down gain and puts the offense in a long yardage situation. Wolford missing an open reciver. A receiver failing to capitalize when a big play presents itself. A sack. Things that lead to punts instead of drives that move down the field. Seemed like we had a lot less of those things in the second half of the season.

I love Hinton, but the QB transition is going to be bumpier than many expect. We will lose a couple of games that we would have won with Wolford.

Wolford didn't become Wolford until the 2nd half of his senior year really.

I love Hinton, but the QB transition is going to be bumpier than many expect. We will lose a couple of games that we would have won with Wolford.

Unfortunately I think this is how it will play out.

Agreed on Hinton transition back to starting. Many forget how efficient wolford was and how few turnovers he made. His decision making (throwing the ball away when needed) really stood out to me too. I think Hinton will do well, but will also turn over the ball more d/t his less accurate short/intermediate passes as noted above and less experience. It will be a slight step back at qb, but hopefully with everyone we have returning the offense will still be highly effective.

Back