• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Fair to say our collective confidence level is need of an upgrade.

Winning does that. I'm pretty high on Clawson's recruiting because he's winning.

We are doing well and I am confident in Clawson. We just have this new found problem where the top football programs of America are now trying to poach our recruits.

Gotta start consistently beating the Clemsons and Florida States of the world before you can even think about getting elite athletes to choose Wake over them. Clemson and Florida State (sometimes realistically) believe they can win a national title every year. That appeals to elite athletes. We're not on that level. Let's be real. Most elite athletes see Wake as a second tier P5 school. Only winning will change that. We're on the right track. Clawson is doing a fantastic job of developing the solid talent that he recruits. That, in and of itself, is a strong recruiting pitch to athletes. It also helps that he runs an exciting offense that puts up big numbers when it has the right personnel. I like that fact that Clawson is identifying talent early and swinging for the fences. Eventually, our home runs will start coming more often.

Wake is not going to consistently beat Clemson and FSU (again) any time soon. Not LOWF, but reality. Wake can strive to beat most of the others in the ACC on a consistent basis.

Wake is not going to consistently beat Clemson and FSU (again) any time soon. Not LOWF, but reality. Wake can strive to beat most of the others in the ACC on a consistent basis.

10-2, 3rd in the Atlantic is a pretty damn good goal. I think if we get good enough to consistently when 8+ games, we'll be very competitive against Clemson and FSU and win every now and then.

Racer-then just pick a pro team & forget about WFU & college sports. I know it’s a business, but it is still college sports where the name on the jersey means something.

Players go now where they can play, go to bowl games, skate through classes for the most part and have a chance to play on Sundays. They are seeing the bright lights and hundreds of times a year kids are transferring schools in every sport. That is just the way it are. We will get who we need at the end and when they get here they will love it. They will also have to work hard for our coaches and go to class. If they do not, they will also be ones who will be in those large transfer numbers. No big deal.

I'm excited about our future, but q
we should probably slow down the hype train until Hinton shows consistency as a starter. It took a monster season from Wolford to win 8 games, as good as Hinton is, he likely will never have that type of season - which isn't a knock on Hinton.

I'm excited about our future, but q
we should probably slow down the hype train until Hinton shows consistency as a starter. It took a monster season from Wolford to win 8 games, as good as Hinton is, he likely will never have that type of season - which isn't a knock on Hinton.

Ugh. Hinton hasn't gotten the shots Wolford had. It's unfair to Hinton to knock him before he even has a chance to play with a staff and teammates who finally got things to click in Year 4.

Hinton needs to stay healthy and show overall durability. He also needs to be able to hit our guys on quick hitting timing routes and will need to run the read option with the efficiency of Wolford. There are a lot of unknowns and the biggest to me is Hinton's ability to stay on the field. He's an undersized, run-first QB.

I promise i'm not knocking him. With an average Wake Forest QB last season we probably win 5 games. Inorder to believe that we can stay on the same level of success of the last two seasons, or improve, you have to have some high expectations for Hinton, who is mostly untested.

Wolford threw for 3000 yards, 30tds, rushed for 700 and 10tds. and we won 8 games. So I think its fair to ask if we still need great quarterback play just to be a good team.

Let's hope this is the next step in the process: getting early commits from elite players who might later switch their commitment when blue blood offers come in. Win on the field another year and then keep more of those elite early commitments.

Wolford threw for 3000 yards, 30tds, rushed for 700 and 10tds. and we won 8 games. So I think its fair to ask if we still need great quarterback play just to be a good team.

Wolford and Hinton had similar stats entering this season.

Back