• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Alec Morris was a Texas kid- high 3 Star that looked to be our heir apparent in 2012? when Saben snatched him from us to run their scout team for a couple of years so the back-ups wouldn't get hurt. We ended up with Tyler Cameron. Hard to parlay a winner in that one.

he's the one. Could not remember his name, but knew it was Bama. I hope this latest kid has his eyes wide open although in my opinion he could do a lot worse than to play for Dabo.

Instead of trying to get these kids out of high school when they can be lured away with their eyes as big as saucers, we should try to pick them up on the rebound like Northwestern has done. Seems that's a lot more of a sure thing for the staffs at the "lesser" programs.

I want kids who want to be Deacs. It's that simple. We got a commit from a 5'10" LB who will probably do more for us than another QB. Walk-on Grant Dawson made more tackles for us than 4* Lance Virgil or 3* Julian Thomas from the 2013 class. We need depth elsewhere.

Instead of trying to get these kids out of high school when they can be lured away with their eyes as big as saucers, we should try to pick them up on the rebound like Northwestern has done. Seems that's a lot more of a sure thing for the staffs at the "lesser" programs.

I was thinking the exact same thing. 4 star goes to big-name school, can't beat out the other four 4/5 star recruits that get recruited around him, ends up providing a lesser named school with 2 productive seasons. It happens multiple times every season. Maybe we can go ahead and start recruiting Jalen Hurts.

Has worked extremely well for NCSU. Hell, we got our last two QBs this route. Fortunately for us, the staffs at Boise and Florida both picked the worse QB and we couldn’t be more happy.

Why not both? Recruit well and get on the radar for good transfers.

It takes some time to really develop the skills to make the reads in the RPO offense. Better if they are at Wake to learn.

I was thinking the exact same thing. 4 star goes to big-name school, can't beat out the other four 4/5 star recruits that get recruited around him, ends up providing a lesser named school with 2 productive seasons. It happens multiple times every season. Maybe we can go ahead and start recruiting Jalen Hurts.

NC State has done an excellent job of getting very good transfer qbs. Wolford was better than Finley last year but up until then it was a long time since we had a better qb.

It takes some time to really develop the skills to make the reads in the RPO offense. Better if they are at Wake to learn.

A lot of top programs these days run the RPO reads. It's not like these guys who don't play at the big names don't learn anything while there. No mistake, getting our top choice out of high school is by far the best of all possible worlds. Yet we're not getting the guys we want when we identify them early. That's what this is about. None of this is a recipe for instant success in getting our guy, but when was the last time you saw Wake's name as the destination of one of these high profile transfers? Just saying. It'd be nice to get a former four or five star talent who hasn't played...

A lot of top programs these days run the RPO reads. It's not like these guys who don't play at the big names don't learn anything while there. No mistake, getting our top choice out of high school is by far the best of all possible worlds. Yet we're not getting the guys we want when we identify them early. That's what this is about. None of this is a recipe for instant success in getting our guy, but when was the last time you saw Wake's name as the destination of one of these high profile transfers? Just saying. It'd be nice to get a former four or five star talent who hasn't played...

The problem could be the Admissions office. Jamie Harris from UGa back in the 80's, was the only transfer I can remember playing. I'm rooting for the guys who have been here the whole time.

I want kids who want to be Deacs. It's that simple. We got a commit from a 5'10" LB who will probably do more for us than another QB. Walk-on Grant Dawson made more tackles for us than 4* Lance Virgil or 3* Julian Thomas from the 2013 class. We need depth elsewhere.

Here here! I agree 100%. I want kids who really realize that Wake is the place for them.

Racer-then just pick a pro team & forget about WFU & college sports. I know it’s a business, but it is still college sports where the name on the jersey means something.

The problem could be the Admissions office. Jamie Harris from UGa back in the 80's, was the only transfer I can remember playing. I'm rooting for the guys who have been here the whole time.

Brad White transferred from UGa as well.

Racer-then just pick a pro team & forget about WFU & college sports. I know it’s a business, but it is still college sports where the name on the jersey means something.
Eh, players will love a school after spending time there. I don't really care that our recruits "want to be at Wake" before they ever move to campus.

Can't consistently lose commits from guys like Clark and Flowers if we expect to continue rising up to challenge schools like Florida State and Clemson for ACC titles.

Can't consistently lose commits from guys like Clark and Flowers if we expect to continue rising up to challenge schools like Florida State and Clemson for ACC titles.

Gotta start consistently beating the Clemsons and Florida States of the world before you can even think about getting elite athletes to choose Wake over them. Clemson and Florida State (sometimes realistically) believe they can win a national title every year. That appeals to elite athletes. We're not on that level. Let's be real. Most elite athletes see Wake as a second tier P5 school. Only winning will change that. We're on the right track. Clawson is doing a fantastic job of developing the solid talent that he recruits. That, in and of itself, is a strong recruiting pitch to athletes. It also helps that he runs an exciting offense that puts up big numbers when it has the right personnel. I like that fact that Clawson is identifying talent early and swinging for the fences. Eventually, our home runs will start coming more often.

Have we lost a commit from Flowers yet?

Back