• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Whoa. I had heard about a couple kids other getting All American game invites so I Googled "Nolan Groulx All American" and clicked on the first link that came up. It also wasn't exactly breaking news, and no one had posted it here.

Les, you're the man, and everyone appreciates what you do with limited resources. I'll be more cognizant of looking for your stories on topics rather than just posting what comes up first in a search.

Whoa. I had heard about a couple kids other getting All American game invites so I Googled "Nolan Groulx All American" and clicked on the first link that came up. It also wasn't exactly breaking news, and no one had posted it here.

Les, you're the man, and everyone appreciates what you do with limited resources. I'll be more cognizant of looking for your stories on topics rather than just posting what comes up first in a search.

Thanks, Tigers! I just searched it myself and show the USA Today on top, but I'm right under it (obv reversed would be better!).

I def try to be search-engine friendly, which leads to boring-ass headlines often. Is there anything else I can do to better make people know this story (and others) exist? I have a vibrant message board, tweet ridiculously often and I'm trying to get in the habit of building the FB site. I'll certainly entertain suggestions.

Hey Les, would you ever want to do a Q&A mailbag where we can ask you questions about recruiting? I am curious why we are seeing stuff about DE's and CB's, while our only DT commit left, and it seems to be an area of need.

Thanks for your work.

For sure, Timmy. Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't done any mailbags in a few weeks. Let me get through this crazy weekend, then evaluate when best to attack that.

Donavon Greene was added to the MA basketball roster yesterday per MaxPreps. He was scheduled to enroll at WF in January. This season could really be hurting us. Checking with sources to see if he’s still going to sign early but enroll next summer.

Last edited:
Donavon Greene was added to the MA basketball roster yesterday per MaxPreps. He was scheduled to enroll at WF in January. This season could really be hurting us. Checking with sources to see if he’s still going to sign early but enroll next summer.

I'd hope receivers see what Dortch is doing and how many TDs Hartman threw as a true freshman, and realize while our defense is losing games our passing game is keeping us from looking like Kansas and Louisville.

Until confirmed this is an absolutely crazy over reaction to a nothing occurance. Greene's first love (and what he originally wanted to go to school for) was/is basketball. He was always going to play basketball once the football season is over. Even if he's been "added" to the basketball roster (no idea what that means, he's always played basketball). Mt. Airy is going to go very deep into the 1A playoffs this year and Greene will not play a second of basketball until they are knocked out. Same thing happens at almost every 1A school that has kids playing football and basketball. The football guys always come way late to the team as the main focus in football. I can't imagine there is absolutely anything to this, especially if your concern is an oft wrong MaxPreps website. And I say all of this as a wolfpacker hoping the best for another Surry County guy.

I think you missed that he was supposed to enroll at Wake in January.

I think you missed that he was supposed to enroll at Wake in January.

I did not. Just because he's been added to a website that's information means little to nothing on what is actually happening in high school sports (especially the 1A level where the least information gets out). Greene will be playing football for at least another month as i'd be shocked if Mt. Airy gets knocked out before the 4th round of the playoffs or so. So he's playing football and not stepping on a basketball floor for at least another month. He won't play a game or practice while the football team is still playing. That puts him out into December or so with HS getting out for winter break etc. I'd venture this is more a ploy by the school to get the only kid going to a power 5 school on scholarship in the county to try and get more people to come out to HS games. That sure makes the most sense to me. I'd be very surprised if he ever plays a minute of HS basketball this year.

If he doesn't enroll early, he plays basketball and still goes to Wake next summer, nothing wrong with that. I was mostly just trying to get across that Max preps adding him to the basketball roster means absolutely nothing in regards to him enrolling early or not.

But you can understand the concern.

But you can understand the concern.

Not until he actually plays basketball, no. If you are going to take the info of a site like Max Preps and worry about it I don't know what to tell you.

Just found it odd he was just added to the basketball roster on Friday when he has stated his plans to enroll early at WFU and participate in spring practice. I know he loves basketball. I’m checking with people who are close to the MA football program to see if he has changed his plans.

Football recruiting is very fluid. I’ll be worried until he signs.

For the record, the high school coaches are the ones who supply MaxPreps with their roster info (some better than others). This isn’t MaxPreps making stuff up - somebody at MA added him to the site.

I have no idea what that means, with regards to him enrolling at wake in January. Maybe he wants to play in a few games in December / over Christmas break. Spring ball is months away.

I hope Greene plays spring ball here, for a multitude of reasons, but especially because the Wake offense does well getting its slot guys open yet never seems to have the big receiver with separation type speed on the outside to stretch the defense. I think if Greene lines up next to Dortch (hopefully) or Nolan in the slot it forces the safeties to respect the deep pass, and if they don't and overplay our slot guys who can make plays it should leave Greene free to go deep and catch some TDs.

Ivan Mora, our kicker commit, was selected for the Under Armour All-American game in January.
He's one of 100 players selected for this game.
Way to go Ivan.

I hope Greene plays spring ball here, for a multitude of reasons, but especially because the Wake offense does well getting its slot guys open yet never seems to have the big receiver with separation type speed on the outside to stretch the defense. I think if Greene lines up next to Dortch (hopefully) or Nolan in the slot it forces the safeties to respect the deep pass, and if they don't and overplay our slot guys who can make plays it should leave Greene free to go deep and catch some TDs.

Na. Greene will play LB and Groulx will be play safety. We need them there.

On a serious note, I am with Tau here. They probably put him on the roster for a multitude of reasons. He is probably their best Bball player and he intends on playing as many Bball games until he cannot anymore (when he enrolls early) for starters.

I'm sure both MA and Wake want what's best for the kid and if that means him only playing 2 basketball games then enrolling early, then that is what both sides will do. This concern is way overblown already.

I'm personally not worried about whether Wake adds Greene in the spring or the fall. I'm glad to have him and look forward to his signing. If he wants to play high school basketball,he should do so as he'll never have the chance again.

I'm personally not worried about whether Wake adds Greene in the spring or the fall. I'm glad to have him and look forward to his signing. If he wants to play high school basketball,he should do so as he'll never have the chance again.

I still think he redshirts. It's asking a lot for a kid to go from playing 1a high school ball to P5 football. He has the athleticism, but it is such a huge learning curve. Most of his catches now are wounded duck jump balls vs a 5'7" kid that runs a 5.0 40 and has a 22" vertical. He absolutely has the talent and I've heard he is really smart, but it is just a different world.

Back