• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Sam Snyder, a TE who Wake offered this fall and ultimately chose Looserville, has since decommitted. Stay tuned. Or not, either way Les will tell us within the day whether the staff is interested in adding another TE.

He looks like an interesting prospect, but I think his spot is gone. After he picked Louisville, we offered and took a commitment from Drelyn Ford. With Hite already on board, I doubt we'd go to 3 TEs.

Sam Snyder, a TE who Wake offered this fall and ultimately chose Looserville, has since decommitted. Stay tuned. Or not, either way Les will tell us within the day whether the staff is interested in adding another TE.

I'll go ahead and jump in here (and please feel free to jump on my site anytime with any questions like this, as I'm not on here all the time). I was honestly SHOCKED when Snyder committed to UL, as I felt he was leaning Wake big-time. Heck, he worked out with Cam Serigne during his camp here. He really seemed like a perfect Wake fit and not at all like a Petrino/UL guy.

That being said, I've been given the impression that Wake is not back in the mix with him and I'm assuming they feel like the TE position is in a good spot.

I like your thinking tho, as I wondered the same.

Looks like Florida State remains interested in Snyder.

Looks like Louisville is pulling scholarships of all recruits recruited by Petrino. Maybe another Matt to be taken

I don’t remember Clawson doing this to most of his inherited Grobe commits. Granted there were a few he probably said “I will adhere to your scholarship from the previous staff but you probably won’t play here”. But not most.

I don’t remember Clawson doing this to most of his inherited Grobe commits. Granted there were a few he probably said “I will adhere to your scholarship from the previous staff but you probably won’t play here”. But not most.

Pretty sure he actively recruited to keep Wolford.

Pretty sure he actively recruited to keep Wolford.

Right. I’m saying he re-recruited the already committed kids. He rarely, if ever, pulled the scholarships of kids who were committed to the Grobe staff.

Grobe left a bare cupboard. We were in no position to turn off any commitments when Clawson took over. We could barely field a team (on offense) at the time.

I doubt most new coaches want to have to recruit a full new class.

I doubt most new coaches want to have to recruit a full new class.

Unless you’re Satterfield apparently.

Also, most new coaches might want to come into their new job at the very least presenting themselves as decent human beings who will acknowledge past committments from the old regime.

I understand the point of bringing in new coaches is to bring new blood and their own players, but for the most part it seems most coaches will respect previous commitments scholarships. Especially this close to signing day. I guess the good thing about this new signing period is that if a scholarship is pulled Petrino/Satterfield style, the kids have time to find another school.

Grobe left a bare cupboard. We were in no position to turn off any commitments when Clawson took over. We could barely field a team (on offense) at the time.

i was looking through some notes from clawsons first year. there was some decent talent on defense, but the dearth of talent on offense was absolutely comical. top returning position players were tyler cameron, orville reynolds, dez wortham, isaiah robinson, matt james, jared crump, brandon terry, tyree harris.

will admit jared crump was looking pretty good before his injuries.

separately just saw kj brent signed with the bucs practice squad last week.

I think in one respect Satterfield is doing the right thing if he knows a kid is not going to fit his scheme, which is what at least one of the kids was quoted as saying in an article that I read. Is it better to let the kid show up and realize that he'll never see the field or be up front and transparent with them? They have 2 months before the regular national signing day to find a good fit. Definitely not an ideal situation but not nearly as bad as what Petrino pulled and probably better than showing up and finding out that you'll need to transfer and sit out a year if you want to play.

will admit jared crump was looking pretty good before his injuries.

separately just saw kj brent signed with the bucs practice squad last week.

Congrats to KJ. He gets to be paid (a little) to do what he likes to do

I think in one respect Satterfield is doing the right thing if he knows a kid is not going to fit his scheme, which is what at least one of the kids was quoted as saying in an article that I read. Is it better to let the kid show up and realize that he'll never see the field or be up front and transparent with them? They have 2 months before the regular national signing day to find a good fit. Definitely not an ideal situation but not nearly as bad as what Petrino pulled and probably better than showing up and finding out that you'll need to transfer and sit out a year if you want to play.

I do not think that Satterfield is doing the right thing, its down right classless. Many of these students have shut down their recruiting, after being verbally offered a scholarship to the university, and now the new coaching staff is saying they are unwilling to honor that offer. Now these students, many of who have been committed for months, have to go back out and pick back up and find another college to attend. The round peg in a square hole analogy doesn't always work. A 300 lb defensive tackle, a 6'5 WR, both of whom are nationally ranked, what coach can't work with those type of players? If the players currently on the team don't mesh with his style, is he going to take away their scholarships too? Its a coaches job to make the players better, to work with what they have, adapt their style to the players available. Look at Clawson's offense his first couple years at Wake as compared to know, he adjusted, its what good coaches are supposed to do.

It is one thing for a player to decommit when a new staff comes in, but its entirely different for a coach to come in and say we will not honor the admissions agreement we offered you. Its classless, its sad, and its entirely fitting with Louisville. Satterfield has already taken on the culture of his new university.

Back