• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Saw Justin Strnad at breakfast in a walking boot. Not sure if its common knowledge or not but I hadn’t heard he was injured.

Clawson called this minor, 1-to-2 week recovery.

Much worse news for Miles Fox, which honestly sucks. Seems like a great guy. Suffered non-contact injury before Friday night's scrimmage and is out for the year.

Much worse news for Miles Fox, which honestly sucks. Seems like a great guy. Suffered non-contact injury before Friday night's scrimmage and is out for the year.

Do we have a way higher frequency of these types of injuries than other teams? Certainly feels that way.

Also, is there a possibility of Fox getting another year?

What is Fox's injury?
I heard he was out for a while, but out for the year??

Fox's injury is a ruptured Achilles. Clawson's exact quote was: "We’ll see what happens. He’ll be out for the season."

He'd certainly be eligible for a medical redshirt and could be back next year. I think -- and obviously this is without talking to him, as he just underwent surgery today -- the bigger factor is him deciding to keep playing football after being injured last season, going through a 7-8-month recovery, finally getting back and a week after getting pads back on, suffering another injury and staring another 8-12-month recovery process in the face. I never played college sports, but I've gotta think going through basically 20 months of recovery is daunting.

Not sure there's any more frequency at Wake, or if it just feels that way based on the last two years. It's certainly worth asking about, though. Clawson mentioned around bowl season, or maybe it was after, that he wanted to compile research on why they had so many guys get hurt last year. When I asked at onset of spring ball, don't think he had data available, IIRC.

Fox's injury is a ruptured Achilles. Clawson's exact quote was: "We’ll see what happens. He’ll be out for the season."

He'd certainly be eligible for a medical redshirt and could be back next year. I think -- and obviously this is without talking to him, as he just underwent surgery today -- the bigger factor is him deciding to keep playing football after being injured last season, going through a 7-8-month recovery, finally getting back and a week after getting pads back on, suffering another injury and staring another 8-12-month recovery process in the face. I never played college sports, but I've gotta think going through basically 20 months of recovery is daunting.

Not sure there's any more frequency at Wake, or if it just feels that way based on the last two years. It's certainly worth asking about, though. Clawson mentioned around bowl season, or maybe it was after, that he wanted to compile research on why they had so many guys get hurt last year. When I asked at onset of spring ball, don't think he had data available, IIRC.

it's at least worth investigating whether high tempo teams who play a higher number of plays also have higher rates of injury (which could be the same rate of injury per play, or even higher as players become more fatigued)

this would of course require looking at several years of data across several fast-paced and slower-paced teams

Thin up front on D... not good.

Thin up front on D... not good.

Up front and in the back. We're doing a limited Spring Game due to lack of numbers at LB and S to field 2 full teams. All major injuries so far (Byrd, Fox, D. Taylor, Woulard) and most minor injuries (Strnad, Burley, Greer) have been on D.

We 100% seem to have more of these non-contact preseason injuries than most teams. If I'm Clawson and co., I'm taking a hard look at the S&C program, and possibly the turf as well.

We 100% seem to have more of these non-contact preseason injuries than most teams. If I'm Clawson and co., I'm taking a hard look at the S&C program, and possibly the turf as well.

I'm taking a look at one freak injury and a bunch others gettin hurt by hitting each other. Don't be so dramatic.

I follow LSU too as my daughter is an alum, they have been decimated on defense, especially the DL and have no contact injuries. Last year they lost their TEs. LBs and DBs. It is the nature of the game.

Weren't Burley and Byrd non-contact as well?

Byrd absolutely was non-contact. Honestly can't remember Burley. That was at the very end of spring last year.

Fox was non-contact in a warmup drill. Strnad's injury was a freak collision in the scrimmage. Taylor's injury, I guess could have been contact, but it wasn't football contact, since it was in January and they've called it a non-football injury.

Its a opportunity for young guys to get reps, and the spring's not over yet. It might give us a chance to try the 2-5-4 defense.

Zach Abercrumbia, the DT from Rice, was offered by us back in '15.

Back