• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

" this offense not right for me" , "want to make the NFL".........As John Wolford signs with The Rams. Bahahahahaha.

Lay off the fella. At 6 ft 6 he is likely too tall to be dual threat. Probably fits in fine at a school which uses drop back QB. He may be good enough to play at D2 school or non-Power 5. He wasn't going to beat out either QB1 or QB2, so he will transfer to try to find a place to play. Who knows, maybe he lacks the family support to continue to pay $70k per year out of pocket, and is hoping for a scholarship to help pay for years 3 and 4. Don't piss on his dream.

No need for comments like that. Walk ons are extremely valuable to the team, as Clawson recently mentioned. Even one of our recent captains started as a walk on. Considine has a good arm, but is a pro style QB, not an rpo QB. Hence his decision to transfer since he wants to play. Totally understand his decision.
To criticize a player who has contributed to the team's success and is complimentary of the team and coaches demonstrates a very 'small' amount of class.

I get that you can be too short to be a pocket QB, but can you be too tall to be a dual threat?

I think it all depends on your quickness and running ability.
I.e. Trevor Lawrence is 6' 6". He's primarily a passing QB, but has shown he can run when needed. But I wouldn't call him an rpo QB.

I get that you can be too short to be a pocket QB, but can you be too tall to be a dual threat?

With 210 pounds stretched over that height, it makes it a bit tough. He got snaps ahead of Bowers and to do so as a walk on says something. Also graduated number 2 in his class with a 4.64 GPA and an Eagle Scout, so a good student and by all accounts a good kid. Les has always had positive comments about him. And as mentioned, it's not free to walk on at Wake so hope the best for him.

Hope the kid can get his school paid for and get to play somewhere. Good luck!

I think it all depends on your quickness and running ability.
With 210 pounds stretched over that height, it makes it a bit tough.

Which is my point. Height isn't the issue. Quickness/running is. Newton is 6'5" 245...he does ok. If Zion played football, I suspect he'd make an ok dual threat at 6'7", especially if he lost some weight. There's no reason, if quick enough, that a tall guy can't be a dual threat as opposed to a short guy who is physically limited by his height from seeing/throwing over a line as a pocket passer.

Best parody poster in the game.

This kid could spin it. I am convinced he was our #3 QB and this reduces the chances Hartman can redshirt. He can compete at the FCS level as a starter and maybe even the right MAC or Sun Belt school. Not a blow like DJ Taylor or Miles Fox getting hurt, but this is not something to be happy about. Kern does not look ready to take meaningful snaps yet, and Considine was much closer to an ACC caliber QB than Bowers.

Outside of healthy LB/S depth, I would have argued Considine was our most valuable non scholarship player for 2019 (Hartman impact).

I thought Kern looked ok at the spring game l. He threw tqo good bullets to that walk on wr at the end of the scrimmage that flat out dropped them both might have been TDS down the sideline to end the game

I thought Kern looked ok at the spring game l. He threw tqo good bullets to that walk on wr at the end of the scrimmage that flat out dropped them both might have been TDS down the sideline to end the game

Kern just needs to put on size. He's a twig. But he's got talent.

Mitch Griffis, the 2020 QB commit for our class won QB MVP at rivals D.C. camp this past weekend per rivals. We definitely got a good onefor next year.

Mitch Griffis, the 2020 QB commit for our class won QB MVP at rivals D.C. camp this past weekend per rivals. We definitely got a good onefor next year.

northern Virginia - specifically, Ashburn - has been good to us. Hope it continues with Mitch

Will be interesting to see how Griffis career plays out vs the guy who de-committed to Wake. Can't remember his name but I recall he was highly ranked.

Both Kern and Griffs look like good ones, although I'd like some more weight on Kern and some more height on Griffs.
Maybe they'll both have some growth spurts like Shamar.

It’s fair to say both are. Kern replaced him in the class. Griffs replaced him as a early commit who could be the QB of the future.

Back