• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Good post.

I'm intrigued by the bold. Are you expecting Jasheen Davis to be ready? Johns, McCollum and Francis are a formidable Trio. Hasn't Rondell played both tackle and end?

With the announced returnees, I see five ACC starter quality defensive line guys: Fox, Kamara, Bothroyd, Johns and McCollum. Wake has played matchup games with spots on the line, so I'm not sure where the issues at DE might be. Also, as noted, there are a few more guys who can play.

Strnad didn't play in any of these games, but after the 2019 blowout of NC State, Wake's opponents averaged 36.2 points per game. Take out the annual completely non-competitive Clemson blowout and it's still 32 PPG. Blame whomever you like, but that's a ton of points and that's basically the same LB corps we had going into 2020.

Yep. This pretty much sums it up. DB and DL should be a position of strength. Special teams will continue to do their thing. Offense isn't losing anyone.

It all comes down to our linebacking room. Gotta have a couple guys step up.

I'd be interested in hearing CamLemons take on this. He tends to have a pretty good grasp of the innerworkings of our roster and who we can expect to play early, etc.

Basically here's how the team breaks down to me

QB: Set here, Sam will be sam and as he doesn't regress to freshman year he's the 4th best QB in the ACC behind DJ/Howell/King and that's saying a lot about how good I think those 4 are than bad Sam is. Eaten crow about how Sam has been as a whole this year(he's had his moments of bad) but full body of work he's been great and his only knocks are holding onto the ball too long and not being on the right side of TD variance

RB: I don't need to go in depth here, John Hunter just finds great RBs so *shrug*

Outside Receiver: I am bullish on what they did to the depth chart, mostly because it reflects what they've had success with in 2017 and 2018 with this style of QB. Instead of forcing the twin towers we had in 2019, they're starting to play to the strengths of the team. Having one side being your gliders in Greene/AT(and whatever you call the amalgamation of Banks and Stewart), while the other side being crafty guys with speed and great route running in Morin/Groulx plays a lot more into the offenses that had Sage on one side and Bachman on the other(who is a generous 6 feet.) It allows you to disguise who's running a 9 route and who's actually breaking inside a bit better. Banks with more practice will be *fine* but that injury in the spring really put him behind the 8 ball. It should be Horatio Fields, who i'm extremely high on, learning the boundary/glider side and Dez Williams learning behind Morin/Groulx. I'm willing to hear arguments for another transfer if Stewart isn't back and I have my particular favorites out there, but if they stay put with this reshuffling I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if they ended up staying pat with what they have.

Slot Receiver: Roberson/Ke'shawn, and a break glass option in Morin if they're desperate. Christian Greene will get to learn for a bit behind some good ones. Fine here.

OL: If Terrance Davis is back and fully gets himself healthy, this unit is great. Davis immediately slides in at RG and you go L-R: Tom, Maginn/Loic, Jurgens, Davis, Nash. You have increased depth now at guard, Gordon and Elmonus are pretty good depth at tackle, and Petitbon was already the 2nd unit center when the starters comes out, his potential seems through the roof.

TE: I'm not so much worried about this as I am nudging it to produce. Chapman is a good blocker and Whiteheart has flashed but someone probably needs to start coming alive here. Especially if the OL progresses like the staff wants them to, they're probably going to be wanted to block less and be more of a threat in the passing game.

DE: With Boogie gone it's Bothroyd's time to shine and well you don't have to search hard to see the love the staff, myself and Conor has for Rondell. Think he is a superstar in the making but what's behind him is a bit less clear. Isaiah Chaney slots behind him and while I think he has the talent, same with Jasheen Davis, snaps just haven't been there so it's hard to pinpoint especially with Conor and Les not being at practices giving us updates as to how guys look there. I don't think they'll be bad, but it's a high standard you have when you can take Boogie off the field and it be a known commodity behind him. Do they get someone to bridge the gap? Who knows. With the drop ends, JaCorey keeps chugging along and quietly being good but the question is can McCollum regain the form he had 2 springs ago and the first few games of his freshman year? Does a guy like Kendron Wayman pop up more? What's up with Royce Francis? Wouldn't expect Brandon Williams to be an immediate guy.

DT: Kamara and Fox back is huge. The rotation with those 2, Dion Bergan, a healthy Tyler Williams, Will Smart and Justin Williams should be a great one to clog up the middle. Still have guys like James Ash and Malik Puryear in the wings but unlike the DEs still a lot of known players ahead of them for another year. Gooden gets a year to just work on his craft put on some good weight and learn.

LB: We know who the top 4 guys are, Smenda, Ja'Cquez, Monroe, Jones. There are questions here obviously: is this year an aberration? Can Chase Jones stay healthy? Can Monroe continue to push Smenda, I'm of the opinion that if they're playing at what we know they're capable of being 2 of the best LBs in the ACC. Same with Ja'Cquez, but what do guys like Jaylen Hudson have to offer, do they move Zach Ranson back to LB(or really where has he been all year?) the pieces are there but can this new coach get what's needed out of them that the last LB coaches seemed to do year after year?

Rover: Traveon Redd is one I'm keeping an eye on. I'm *pretty* sure he's back. If he's not then Masterson probably rolls down to Rover and they figure things out at safety. If he comes back, which is what is assumed, then it'll be Him/AJ Williams who have been well... good this year. Garnes is one where it's hard to put without seeing practice, I *think* he slots in to compete for time at Rover but if they feel fine there they could also work him in as a high safety and move some other pieces around. It's a weird place to be 3/4 deep but they can move Luke down, KD3 can fill in there and be fine, Garnes, Ranson seems to be there right now given the roster.

CB: Feel great about this with Wingfield and Ja'Sir announcing he'd be back. If they can get Holmes to stay healthy they have a true 2 deep and don't have to rush the freshman out there unless he's ready. Coby Davis can still fill in as their slot guy if need be but Ja'Sir and Caelen by numbers and the eye test were nationally just extremely good.

S: Questions! Can Nasir get back to 100% and be that guy again after being rushed back? Masterson seemed to thrive as being a Rover, less as a high safety but still a good starter, can he entrench himself as the guy across from Nasir? Can Rucker get back to full health? He's been very good when healthy but just hasn't been that way all year. Can Coby Davis get back to 2018 form now that he's healthy? What's JJ Roberts' role moving forward, same question to Zion Keith and Nick Andersen. Can a guy like Evan Slocum or Quincy Bryant push for early time? Lot of bodies here, good ones, just how do they fit and can they stay healthy?

Smenda one of the best LBs in the ACC?

dude can defend the run decent, but gets cooked in coverage

Minimum 100 snaps, he has given up the 33rd least amount of yards in the FBS(out of 301 qualified players) and has been one of the least targeted LBs in the country. Last year out of 400 qualified players he 101st in yards allowed(179) and 106th in targets. If he actually got cooked in coverage people would be targeting him more like they do Gemmel and Chazz Surratt who rank in the bottom 16 in yards allowed

With the announced returnees, I see five ACC starter quality defensive line guys: Fox, Kamara, Bothroyd, Johns and McCollum. Wake has played matchup games with spots on the line, so I'm not sure where the issues at DE might be. Also, as noted, there are a few more guys who can play.

less of an issue more of a we just dont know and wont unless we can see practices. Out of the 5 you named McCollum is the one who I'm weary about. Has all the tools but wore down after the first 4 games of his freshman year and Royce Francis just got his snaps. This year has been extremely inconsistent and don't know if it's due to an injury or this season or what. Jasheen I think will play the role Chaney had this year unless things really ramp up for him, but it's not like I think any of these guys are bad. You're just removing a huge constant in Boogie and instead of you having lineups like Boogie/Bothroyd/Fox/Johns across the line that can both bully you and out athlete you, you have guys who just really haven't played as much. They could come in and play their asses off and I wouldn't be shocked because I trust Cohen's development and recruiting, but you don't just lose a guy like Boogie and get better. What I will say is actually having a spring camp will do wonders for those guys, something a Shamar/Chaney/Jahmal Banks/George Sell could've all definitely used this go around

Thanks Cam. This is good stuff.

Time to win 10 games and get back to the Orange Bowl.

Strnad didn't play in any of these games, but after the 2019 blowout of NC State, Wake's opponents averaged 36.2 points per game. Take out the annual completely non-competitive Clemson blowout and it's still 32 PPG. Blame whomever you like, but that's a ton of points and that's basically the same LB corps we had going into 2020.

it's a point i've made before but it's two-fold:

1) look who they ended the season missing: Kamara(went down in the Syracuse game but wasn't really right for pinstripe), Fox(all year), Tyler Williams, Shamar(confirmed injury), Chase Jones, Strnad, Luke, Nasir, Bothroyd, with Rucker/Davis going down for stretches in Pinstripe they had to move Essang to safety for a few plays

2)After the NC State game is also when the offense got hurt/stopped being efficient. Cade just never really recovered and fought through injuries, lost Sage and Scotty, Newman went down in Syracuse and then couldn't protect himself late in pinstripe, Gilliam hurt, just a graveyard.

VT game was 17-23 before injuries piled up and offense couldn't move the ball/stay on the field to give a defense that was kept getting worn down by a huge VT offense. Clemson is Clemson. Duke had <300 yards total and scored 1 offensive touchdown. Syracuse was a damn nightmare of a game all around that when the defense was on the offense stunk and when the offense finally came online the defense couldn't hold and finally ran out of men. Given personnel for pinstripe, it was fine but if that offense scores a td at any point in the second half(also due to injuries) they win and the narrative is different

Which brings me back to what I've posted around here, Twitter, etc. Why do we seem to be more injury plagued every season than the rest of the ACC? Is it coaching? Strength and conditioning? Is it because we don't have the depth that other programs have so it's more detrimental to us than other teams?

Or is it the obvious answer that God hates Wake sports?

I’m pulling for Spencer Clapp to finally have a healthy year and provide depth on the OL....

Minimum 100 snaps, he has given up the 33rd least amount of yards in the FBS(out of 301 qualified players) and has been one of the least targeted LBs in the country. Last year out of 400 qualified players he 101st in yards allowed(179) and 106th in targets. If he actually got cooked in coverage people would be targeting him more like they do Gemmel and Chazz Surratt who rank in the bottom 16 in yards allowed

where does he stack up against other LBs per target?

I have no idea how they assign defensive targets, especially against a zone defense

eye test tells me that he gets beat by RBs out to the backfield a good bit and WRs/TEs get behind him in the zone a lot

Which brings me back to what I've posted around here, Twitter, etc. Why do we seem to be more injury plagued every season than the rest of the ACC? Is it coaching? Strength and conditioning? Is it because we don't have the depth that other programs have so it's more detrimental to us than other teams?

Or is it the obvious answer that God hates Wake sports?

Seems like the simplest answer is that we average significantly more plays per game than most other schools due to our pace. Every additional play in a game is an opportunity for injury to happen, and you could argue play #95 of a game is more likely to result in injury than play #5 due to fatigue.

it's a point i've made before but it's two-fold:

1) look who they ended the season missing: Kamara(went down in the Syracuse game but wasn't really right for pinstripe), Fox(all year), Tyler Williams, Shamar(confirmed injury), Chase Jones, Strnad, Luke, Nasir, Bothroyd, with Rucker/Davis going down for stretches in Pinstripe they had to move Essang to safety for a few plays

2)After the NC State game is also when the offense got hurt/stopped being efficient. Cade just never really recovered and fought through injuries, lost Sage and Scotty, Newman went down in Syracuse and then couldn't protect himself late in pinstripe, Gilliam hurt, just a graveyard.

VT game was 17-23 before injuries piled up and offense couldn't move the ball/stay on the field to give a defense that was kept getting worn down by a huge VT offense. Clemson is Clemson. Duke had <300 yards total and scored 1 offensive touchdown. Syracuse was a damn nightmare of a game all around that when the defense was on the offense stunk and when the offense finally came online the defense couldn't hold and finally ran out of men. Given personnel for pinstripe, it was fine but if that offense scores a td at any point in the second half(also due to injuries) they win and the narrative is different

That's great and all, but to answere Resilient Deac's question, it's depth. It takes us three years to develop anybody into an ACC level player and if he gets hurt, we've got a ton of excuses for why our defense is so bad. But it happens every year. And guess what, every team has injuries !

Yeah...Top-20 programs have Justin Strnad's that can be plugged in when a Justin Strnad goes down. We have never had that luxury.

Clawson has us closer than we've ever been at having decent depth but we still aren't there.

I have no idea how they assign defensive targets, especially against a zone defense

eye test tells me that he gets beat by RBs out to the backfield a good bit and WRs/TEs get behind him in the zone a lot

Middle of the pack for theree, there are some... interesting names at the bad end of that stat ahead which will be a fun dive:

Christian Harris, Alabama

Zach McCloud, Miami

Chazz Surratt

Noah Sewell(the Pac-12 defensive freshman of the year and 36th graded LB in coverage)

All to say is Smenda the best ACC linebacker in coverage? No, but getting roasted isn't really an accurate notion by really any stat or grade(which also isn't end all be all as I'll argue yards even relative to catch or carry can be a truly deceptive stat all day)

That's great and all, but to answere Resilient Deac's question, it's depth. It takes us three years to develop anybody into an ACC level player and if he gets hurt, we've got a ton of excuses for why our defense is so bad. But it happens every year. And guess what, every team has injuries !

it's a bit less straight forward than that. The only 2 *good* defenses that runs more than 75 plays a game this year are Clemson and Northwestern. It's simply the nature of the way the offense is run the defense will be out there for more plays and more chances to get injured and more chances for the offense to score points and every single D1 coach will tell you that including Clawson himself.

The issue hasn't been the people behind them are playing bad, it's the fact that they're having to go to the 3rd and 4th strings and how long those guys are playing during a season. Even Clemson this year we saw when they had to go to 3rd and 4th string LBs and corners, their defense suffered. Now look at Wake and, love Nick Andersen, but he shouldn't be necessarily the person on Dyami Brown nor was that the game plan until Luke/Nasir/Trey/Zion/Coby all couldn't play. There's no amount of depth in the world that prepares you for almost an entire 3 deep worth of safeties to be out.

We saw a three game stretch where they had 2 of those guys in + Andersen and it was a completely different team, but all of a sudden it gets discounted when they're playing a legit walk-on and a guy who spent over a month in contact tracing this summer and learned safety a week before because they don't have anyone else.

We also afford these luxuries to the offense as well when they're down AT/Donavon/Jurgens/Walker, fans are very easy to chalk up missing pieces and move on with the offense but not so much to the defense. Hell even last year when the wide receivers legit fell off the earth outside of hinton and 2 games of Greene, we all pretty much understood that with those injuries it was going to be tough. But it's the amount/length of injuries that's the biggest issue. If those 5 safeties all really traded time then the defense 100% looks better, but when you're playing without all of them for most of the season... not really a fair ask for any defense of any level

Seems like Smenda is more the old school college linebacker that just doesn’t have the speed to go sideline to sideline in today’s game. He seems a touch slow at the edge which can result in big chunk plays.

it's a bit less straight forward than that. The only 2 *good* defenses that runs more than 75 plays a game this year are Clemson and Northwestern. It's simply the nature of the way the offense is run the defense will be out there for more plays and more chances to get injured and more chances for the offense to score points and every single D1 coach will tell you that including Clawson himself.

The issue hasn't been the people behind them are playing bad, it's the fact that they're having to go to the 3rd and 4th strings and how long those guys are playing during a season. Even Clemson this year we saw when they had to go to 3rd and 4th string LBs and corners, their defense suffered. Now look at Wake and, love Nick Andersen, but he shouldn't be necessarily the person on Dyami Brown nor was that the game plan until Luke/Nasir/Trey/Zion/Coby all couldn't play. There's no amount of depth in the world that prepares you for almost an entire 3 deep worth of safeties to be out.

We saw a three game stretch where they had 2 of those guys in + Andersen and it was a completely different team, but all of a sudden it gets discounted when they're playing a legit walk-on and a guy who spent over a month in contact tracing this summer and learned safety a week before because they don't have anyone else.

We also afford these luxuries to the offense as well when they're down AT/Donavon/Jurgens/Walker, fans are very easy to chalk up missing pieces and move on with the offense but not so much to the defense. Hell even last year when the wide receivers legit fell off the earth outside of hinton and 2 games of Greene, we all pretty much understood that with those injuries it was going to be tough. But it's the amount/length of injuries that's the biggest issue. If those 5 safeties all really traded time then the defense 100% looks better, but when you're playing without all of them for most of the season... not really a fair ask for any defense of any level

Oh, okay. So not excuses.

*bad defense loses football games*

I mean what's the excuse for the offense down the stretch vs UNC, pretty much the entire VT game, the 2nd half of the UVA, struggled at times against Syracuse, I mean I can go on here

Excuses are "Well we didnt get a lot of practice so timing was off aw shucks"

Putting things in context, and relaying info from those who actually see stuff day to day is different. It's almost like, hmm i can't put my finger on it, ah you can't just take a number and say "this number is bad fix it" without also going, "hm what led to this"

It's almost like the 3 games the defense was (relatively)healthy were the games every single Wake fan was like "wow where did this come from" and the games they struggled to field a secondary were the ones leaving people headscratching.

But what do I know

Last edited:
Back