• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Just watched the Horatio Fields hudl video. Good lort! How is that dude not a 4 star? He is D Greene level athlete and looks more polished as a WR.

his high school is super new(big enough to play against some of the big boys though), opened up around my freshman/sophomore year of high school i believe so 2011. Not a whole lot of time to build connections with any P5 schools, especially with being on the outskirts and wrong side of Atlanta.

Think this one is gonna be GOOD

his high school is super new(big enough to play against some of the big boys though), opened up around my freshman/sophomore year of high school i believe so 2011. Not a whole lot of time to build connections with any P5 schools, especially with being on the outskirts and wrong side of Atlanta.

Think this one is gonna be GOOD

Same county as Calvin Pace who went to Lithia Springs.

Also, not far at all from Westlake HS on the other side of the river (Cam Newton, Pacman Jones, and a bunch of others)

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned but Ja'Sir Taylor, who was essentially a lockdown corner for us, is coming back for a final year next season. With 1st team DT Miles Fox announcing he's coming back, as well as Luke Masterson, we are now awaiting the decisions of Jaquez Williams and Kamara. Both of those guys sound like they're going to return.

We are pretty much returning our entire team aside from Boogie. If we can get Greer back healthy for the whole year then we will be pretty deep at defensive back, given we have the 1st team ivy league corner transferring in, who is eligible immediately. We also have Chelen Garmes eligible, who transferred here from Navy. Defense should be much better if we can somehow get our linebackers to progress. Maybe Dylan Hazen will be ready to go as a true freshman.

Our entire offense is returning, so that'll be good. Offense has proven we can score against anyone.

Early prediction - 9-3 regular season...Win bowl game to finish 10-3.

So we are returning mostly everyone back from a lousy defense? That doesn't get me too excited. Its like we never account for other teams returning their players and recruiting better players too. We need an overhaul of talent on the defensive side.

So we are returning mostly everyone back from a lousy defense? That doesn't get me too excited. Its like we never account for other teams returning their players and recruiting better players too. We need an overhaul of talent on the defensive side.

You aren't accounting for the fact we played the majority of the season without most of our defensive backs.

There will be some changes on defense, as noted in posts above. The best cornerback in the Ivy League two seasons ago will be playing for Wake. So will a DB transfer from Navy. Caelen Carson looked pretty good at the end of the season, considering he was a true freshman with little summer practice time. Getting Masterson back healthy will also help.

The defensive line will return, minus Boogie. The leader, Miles Fox, will be one of the most experienced guys ever to play college football. He will be in his SEVENTH year on a college football roster. Assuming everyone returns to health from Covid etc., that will be a strong and deep group.

Linebacker is the one area that one of the incoming recruits needs to make an impact as a true freshman, and/or one or more of the guys on the roster needs to make a leap and/or an immediately eligible transfer or two arrives and is really good.

There will be some changes on defense, as noted in posts above. The best cornerback in the Ivy League two seasons ago will be playing for Wake. So will a DB transfer from Navy. Caelen Carson looked pretty good at the end of the season, considering he was a true freshman with little summer practice time. Getting Masterson back healthy will also help.

The defensive line will return, minus Boogie. The leader, Miles Fox, will be one of the most experienced guys ever to play college football. He will be in his SEVENTH year on a college football roster. Assuming everyone returns to health from Covid etc., that will be a strong and deep group.

Linebacker is the one area that one of the incoming recruits needs to make an impact as a true freshman, and/or one or more of the guys on the roster needs to make a leap and/or an immediately eligible transfer or two arrives and is really good.

Yep. This pretty much sums it up. DB and DL should be a position of strength. Special teams will continue to do their thing. Offense isn't losing anyone.

It all comes down to our linebacking room. Gotta have a couple guys step up.

I'd be interested in hearing CamLemons take on this. He tends to have a pretty good grasp of the innerworkings of our roster and who we can expect to play early, etc.

Brandon Chapman and Kamara have confirmed they're coming back.

It's my understanding the last big one we are waiting on is Jaquez Williams.

is terrance davis coming back? Haven't heard anything about him since the summer.

Fox and Kamara are two big (literally and figuratively) extra year returnees. Its great to have D-line guys who are good, experienced and physically mature.

Fox and Kamara are two big (literally and figuratively) extra year returnees. Its great to have D-line guys who are good, experienced and physically mature.

Give Clawson a non-COVID season to get a full Spring, full practices, a general understanding of who will be able to play each week and I think everyone will be surprised how much better our defense looks next season.

Keyshawn Williams will be ready to take 2nd team reps next year behind Roberson, as it looks like Morin could be a mainstay on the outside, alongside Greene and Perry.

Great news. I really like Chapman. He’s a beast and a leader. He’ll play a bigger role next year.
And our D line depth is shaping up to be the best ever next year. Just hoping we can play a ‘regular’ season. We’ll be good.

I have really heard, but I’m guessing that Wake is having a lot more players come back next than other teams.

Give Clawson a non-COVID season to get a full Spring, full practices, a general understanding of who will be able to play each week and I think everyone will be surprised how much better our defense looks next season.

Keyshawn Williams will be ready to take 2nd team reps next year behind Roberson, as it looks like Morin could be a mainstay on the outside, alongside Greene and Perry.

I don't expect a normal spring practice session. Covid will impact as it is now. College students should be near the end of the vaccine line. Summer should be back to "normal."

If the light comes on for Groulx, Wake receiving corps could be scary good.

Yep. This pretty much sums it up. DB and DL should be a position of strength. Special teams will continue to do their thing. Offense isn't losing anyone.

It all comes down to our linebacking room. Gotta have a couple guys step up.

I'd be interested in hearing CamLemons take on this. He tends to have a pretty good grasp of the innerworkings of our roster and who we can expect to play early, etc.

Have to assume that Clawson is scanning the transfer portals for LB's and a fast, tall WR. Hopefully, there are a few that have academic interest so playing for WF could be appealing.

I feel like I sound defense when talking about the linebackers but, we're a year removed from Strnad being an All-ACC linebacker missing half the season, Ryan Smenda being one of the best linebackers in the ACC, and Ja'Cquez playing at a very high level after Strnad went down. This has been really the only down year since I came to Wake as a student(2014) that the LBs haven't been some of the top in the ACC. 2014-2015 was Chubb and Kellz, 2016 was Kellz/Jaboree/Grant Dawson, 2017 Strnad/Grant/kemp/JB, 2018 even when the defense as a whole was bad Strnad/Smenda(with a sprinkle of DJ taylor before his injury) and then last year all 3 of Smenda/Strnad/Ja'Cquez were at a high level.

The question isn't really do they need an overhaul, but is this year just an aberration from every other year we've seen from the LBs. I'm leaning the latter given the only departure(yes Strnad but he missed the 2nd half of the season) was the LB coach. Their main issue has been in the run game where in 4 games(Clemson/NC State/UNC/Louisville) due to injuries/covid, they've been asked to do borderline impossible things. And that's not from just me, that's from Hemp and other people inside the program and well it shows up on the tape. Are the players faultless? No, there's definitely plays that even they will be first to be like "yep completely on me" but it's not throw away the entire linebackers level like it was.

In terms of the freshmen, if Hazen shows up and balls out then good on him but I think that's a year or so in the works given he projects(to me) to be a MIKE so he'd be behind Smenda and Monroe. Sosanya I'm interested in a bit more for *immediate* PT due to him already being up to 207 and I project him more of a BUCK or Rover which may have more available PT but he also hasn't played football in over a year due to NC pushing football to spring, so even with him enrolling early, has a lot of rust to work off.

I have more question marks at DE spots than I do LB, if im being truthfully honest

I feel like I sound defense when talking about the linebackers but, we're a year removed from Strnad being an All-ACC linebacker missing half the season, Ryan Smenda being one of the best linebackers in the ACC, and Ja'Cquez playing at a very high level after Strnad went down. This has been really the only down year since I came to Wake as a student(2014) that the LBs haven't been some of the top in the ACC. 2014-2015 was Chubb and Kellz, 2016 was Kellz/Jaboree/Grant Dawson, 2017 Strnad/Grant/kemp/JB, 2018 even when the defense as a whole was bad Strnad/Smenda(with a sprinkle of DJ taylor before his injury) and then last year all 3 of Smenda/Strnad/Ja'Cquez were at a high level.

The question isn't really do they need an overhaul, but is this year just an aberration from every other year we've seen from the LBs. I'm leaning the latter given the only departure(yes Strnad but he missed the 2nd half of the season) was the LB coach. Their main issue has been in the run game where in 4 games(Clemson/NC State/UNC/Louisville) due to injuries/covid, they've been asked to do borderline impossible things. And that's not from just me, that's from Hemp and other people inside the program and well it shows up on the tape. Are the players faultless? No, there's definitely plays that even they will be first to be like "yep completely on me" but it's not throw away the entire linebackers level like it was.

In terms of the freshmen, if Hazen shows up and balls out then good on him but I think that's a year or so in the works given he projects(to me) to be a MIKE so he'd be behind Smenda and Monroe. Sosanya I'm interested in a bit more for *immediate* PT due to him already being up to 207 and I project him more of a BUCK or Rover which may have more available PT but he also hasn't played football in over a year due to NC pushing football to spring, so even with him enrolling early, has a lot of rust to work off.

I have more question marks at DE spots than I do LB, if im being truthfully honest

Good post.

I'm intrigued by the bold. Are you expecting Jasheen Davis to be ready? Johns, McCollum and Francis are a formidable Trio. Hasn't Rondell played both tackle and end?

Last edited:
Smenda one of the best LBs in the ACC?

dude can defend the run decent, but gets cooked in coverage

Back