• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Put the best players on the field. Have honest conversations with the rest. Some will leave but most will stay.

Clawson and staff have a reputation that they don't BS their players. And also a track record of developing guys. That helps keep the guys who aren't starting around.

This Wake coaching staff has put enough guys into the NFL at both high levels (Jessie Bates, Phil Haynes et al) and guys at the margins (Scotty Washington, Alex Bachman et al). I am sure they can reinforce the messages about level of NFL readiness and need for more development to the guys at Wake.

Jamie Newman and John Wolford are two tales of looking for the bigger stage and staying at Wake and putting in the work to develop.

Clawson and staff have a reputation that they don't BS their players. And also a track record of developing guys. That helps keep the guys who aren't starting around.

This Wake coaching staff has put enough guys into the NFL at both high levels (Jessie Bates, Phil Haynes et al) and guys at the margins (Scotty Washington, Alex Bachman et al). I am sure they can reinforce the messages about level of NFL readiness and need for more development to the guys at Wake.

Jamie Newman and John Wolford are two tales of looking for the bigger stage and staying at Wake and putting in the work to develop.

Good post - it’s a new era of college football with NIL, transfer portal, etc. I would ague that they kinda balance each other but it’s just a new dynamic. We’re bound to have some attrition - every program does but I think our staff does a good job of thinking about bigger picture. CBS is perfect example - he wanted to graduate and move on and our staff recruited to replace him then he changed his mind and wanted to come back and we made the tough but correct decision that there was no room in the inn and he is now at USC. Don’t want a guy like a Claiborne or Cooley to transfer for one more year of 6th year guy who has reached his ceiling despite the intangibles of what he means for the program. It’s sadly a business now.

Good post - Don’t want a guy like a Claiborne or Cooley to transfer for one more year of 6th year guy who has reached his ceiling despite the intangibles of what he means for the program. It’s sadly a business now.

Totally agree.. Cooley is my guy. He has great upside and id hate to see him leave before he fulfills his potential

If we trust our staff to evaluate players, the better ones will play and stay.

so we have our next kicker

from his Twitter timeline, he seems to win a fair number of kickoff competitions at camps, which hopefully means he will reliably put the ball into the end zone

so we have our next kicker

from his Twitter timeline, he seems to win a fair number of kickoff competitions at camps, which hopefully means he will reliably put the ball into the end zone

One open question is whether the staff sees him as ace kicker, kickoff guy or punter or some combination of those responses. I have no feel for his accuracy, but he seems to have a strong leg for deep kicks.

It’s worth it to have a kickoff guy and a FG guy if necessary.

not necessarily if both are on scholarship

Disagree. pinning teams back on KOs translates into real yards and clearly scoring FGs is critical as providing points that make a diff. vs. a 3rd string CB/S/LB is a no brainer to me unless you have a slew of bad injuries at a given position.

Yep. I’d rather spend that scholarship on a guy who kicks it out of the endzone than on a special teamer who you hope can tackle the returner inside the 25.

Yep. I’d rather spend that scholarship on a guy who kicks it out of the endzone than on a special teamer who you hope can tackle the returner inside the 25.

That's not the math. The math is a second kicker, or a guy who may turn out to be Kenneth Walker or AT Perry.

That being said, without checking the roster recently, I think Wake has had 2 kickers and a punter on scholarship. So Clawson may agree with you.

That's not the math. The math is a second kicker, or a guy who may turn out to be Kenneth Walker or AT Perry.

That being said, without checking the roster recently, I think Wake has had 2 kickers and a punter on scholarship. So Clawson may agree with you.

Wake currently has four guys listed as PK: Ivan Mora (rSoph) Zach Murphy (r Sr), or K: Matthew Dennis (rFr) and Caleb Carlson (Fr).

Mora has been the punter. Murphy appears to be a one year heir apparent to Nick Sciba.

I don't know which of these 4 are on scholarship.

ETA:

Carlson appears to be a place kicker (only) with a pretty strong leg. 65 yards/3.5 hang time from the ground in kicking camp. He grew two inches and added weight between HS and his Wake measurements. Rated 5star by Kornblue kicking camp. That may not mean much, but it's better than the alternative.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's just negativity bias, but we've really seemed to struggle covering kickoffs in recent years. So anyone who can reliably put the ball in the endzone deservers a scholarship in my opinion.

One open question is whether the staff sees him as ace kicker, kickoff guy or punter or some combination of those responses. I have no feel for his accuracy, but he seems to have a strong leg for deep kicks.

Punter with kickoff upside

Wake currently has four guys listed as PK: Ivan Mora (rSoph) Zach Murphy (r Sr), or K: Matthew Dennis (rFr) and Caleb Carlson (Fr).

Mora has been the punter. Murphy appears to be a one year heir apparent to Nick Sciba.

I don't know which of these 4 are on scholarship.

ETA:

Carlson appears to be a place kicker (only) with a pretty strong leg. 65 yards/3.5 hang time from the ground in kicking camp. He grew two inches and added weight between HS and his Wake measurements. Rated 5star by Kornblue kicking camp. That may not mean much, but it's better than the alternative.

Clawson said Dennis will be replacing Sciba. And during warmups prior to the Louisville game last year he looked better than Sciba. I made the mistake of saying that pre game and Sciba missed a fg and I heard it lol

Back